Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usernamevalid
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Vojtek View Post
    The salt took on a nice golden brown color and smoke flavour but it didn't last long even in a ziplock bag.
    Good info. Real-world experience.

Sounds like not much point in pursuing. Getting the smoke on is one thing, but if it doesn't stay on, then not much point.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Vojtek
    replied
    I have cold smoked salt once in a bbq foil tray - along with some cheese ( the cheese was not in the tray). Using an Amazintube in my diy electric without any heat. The salt took on a nice golden brown color and smoke flavour but it didn't last long even in a ziplock bag. And the small amount of salt i use on my food didn't really give me much....

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    replied
    We have tried it. It needs to be made into a wet slurry then smoked and dried. But we found it adds little flavor to the food.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    In the salt video it was suggested to wrap a brick in foil and pop it into the freezer for a couple of hours. Then, fire up your smoker and once it's going put the brick into it and pour salt on top of the brick where the cold temp from the foil will draw the smoke. I might try this next weekend when I am smoking ribs on my mother-in-laws OTG with the Smokenator and hover grill.

Leave a comment:

• Usernamevalid
    replied
    That video mentions smoking salt only for a brief moment and gives a couple of options.

I saw a recipe once where the guy used a grilling basket like you'd use to grill veggies. He put coffee filters in the basket and put the salt in the filters. Seemed to get pretty good results and it's stuff most of us probably already have in the house. I'm going to give it a shot next time I fire up the smoker.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    I'm back at my PC now. Here's the link: http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...-misunderstood

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Go to The Pit main page and it's close to the top.

Leave a comment:

• Collinsworth77
    replied
    where can I find the video channel?

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    You need to watch the magic of salt video in our videos channel.

Leave a comment:

• Collinsworth77
    started a topic Smoking Salt

Smoking Salt

I want to smoke some salt for a new twist with salt. I am a novice at this so what is the best wood to use, how much and how long? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis