Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are your food eating quirks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are your food eating quirks?

so my wife thinks i'm crazy. and while she is right it isn't because i have some food quirks. i'll give some examples:

When i make tacos i usually have hard shell. it HAS to go shell, cheese, then meat, then whatever else. the cheese has to go between the hot shell and the hot meat. taco bell, cheese on top of the lettuce? really?

the vanilla ice cream i like best with cake is new york vanilla, root beer floats are homemade vanilla, pie is either homemade or french. and when i have a root beer float i let the whole thing melt into the root beer before i drink it.

when i eat chicken pot pie or cherry pie that my mom makes it is eat the insides first then the crust.

the best way to eat cinnamon toast crunch is to pour the milk first and then the cereal so you don't wash all the cinnamon.

most meat i like to eat without cutting it. just take a bite when it's stuck at the end of a fork.

when i eat a brat/hot dog i take a bite out of both ends first because those are mostly bun and that makes them the 2 worst bites.

i like peanut butter toast with orange juice.

so does anybody else do anything weird or am i on my own and thus truly crazy?

All my quirks are normal, or they should be considered normal. 😊 I didn't provide a list since I'm on my phone...it might be long.

Comment

You have some interesting ones, but I do to. First, my wife and her family aren't able to eat in the dark, they have to have lights on. They can't even eat popcorn in a movie. I have a friend that won't eat what he touches, he pics up one fry at a time and bites off what he isn't touching, we call the rest fry stems.

I am the same as you with tacos.

I eat fast, if there isn't a reason to sit, I eat standing up at the counter.

Everybody thinks my weirdest is that I don't drink when I eat. I don't really know why, there isn't a reason, I just drink water all day and dinner time is dinner time, not water time.

Oreo's are one bite.

Reese's cups must be refrigerated at a minimum, preferably frozen. It also must be eaten outside first, then inside.

Nutty bars must be separated into layers and eaten 1 at a time.

I think ours are mostly just common sense

Comment

well i'm opposite you in some respects. i prefer to eat sitting down and i always have to have something to drink when i eat (mostly because i get food caught in the bottom of my throat and it won't go down without a push. it's a tremendous annoyance in my life but i try to pretend i'm a crocodile).

Comment

I pour the milk in the bowl first, and then add the cereal a little at a time. Keeps it crispy.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Have to try that.

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            Memo to self: Next website: AmazingCereals.com

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            Would there be a 'Grainmaster' club i could join?

Cool topic DeusDingo.

My biggest (that I do not think it weird but instead delicious) is I like a giant tablespoonful of peanut butter as a snack, sometimes two. Sometimes a jar of peanut butter can be found on my nightstand. I justify this by saying things to my wife like "I'm a nightshifter", knowing full well this has nothing to do with anything, but somehow it sounds like a valid reason at the moment. I also like to put peanut butter on slices of colby or cheddar cheese. It is delicious. Peanut butter can move mountains.

Oddly enough, I do not care for peanuts.

I drink my coffee even if it's lukewarm or cold. A friend of mine is very grossed out by this. On the ride home from work I would drink my [black] coffee that was sitting in the work truck all day when I did construction. He would gag. "Coffee is just water!" I would tell him.

I like cereal when it gets soggy. Sometimes I eat from only one side of the bowl, and the other side if soggy enough locks in place and forms a 'wall'. It is way more fun this way. Just ask me. And the milk after the soggy cereal is finished? Simply amazing stuff. They should sell cereal-flavored milk in bottles. I would invest.

I used to always prefer to eat each food item on my dinner plate separately, one at a time. Although I am getting better at this I think. I will try my steak/chop/chicken whatever, but then I dig in to the corn 'til it's gone, and then the potatoes, etc and save the main item for last. None of this mixing bites nonsense. One needs to focus.

Your life will be shorter if you do not try a Little Caesar's Deep Dish. They are up there with peanut butter on the awesomeness scale. Sadly, one can not usually be found on my nightstand. However, I call this a 'quirk' because most people equate Little Ceasar's with trash. Most people just haven't seen the light yet.

Last edited by Huskee; June 12, 2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            Is this the one? http://littlecaesars.com/OurMenu/Piz...DishPizza.aspx
            There's also some bacon wrapped ones i've seen i've seen on the net .. Trash? Anyone calling pizza trash must be vegetarian or something - pizza is great food....

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            John DeusDingo Have you ever had Oreo cereal? No, they don't make it in a box as far as I know. But what I mean is put 5 or 6 (or more) Oreos in a cereal bowl and pour milk over them, then eat it as a delicious sludgy cereal? I would NEVER inform my kids of this delicacy, but it's awesome! Steve VojtekYep that's it, so good. And yes, I hate it when people say LC is trash food. Sure, there are better local pizza joints, but they are awesome for what they are. However, I would never try that bacon one. To me that's just not necessary, but I'm not a big bacon person anyway as many know. I never thought they'd find a way to make one of those pizzas WORSE for you, but they gone & done it!

• DeusDingo
            DeusDingo commented
            Editing a comment
            well next they will have ranch dressing stuffed crusts or hotdogs...wait, they already have hotdog stuffed crust

i will have to try the oreo cereal. i'll have to do it alone because the wife will eat out all of the middles!

Not an absolute that I insist on, but something I occasionally do something that most folks find either funny or disgusting: eating peanut butter (on crackers or bread) with a bowl of chili.

With an occasional exception, BBQ should have sauce.

Beef and calves liver are not fit for human consumption, no matter how much onion or bacon fat accompanies them. Foie gras is to die for, but too expensive.

Campbell's tomato soup should be made with milk, not water, and should have a good handful of Saltines crushed into it.

Green bell peppers are awful, bell peppers must be ripe to be eaten unless hidden in a stew-like dish. This extends in general to all chile peppers, with a big exception for New Mexico/Anaheim varieties of green chile. Even jalapenos are better ripe (and thus red). FYI for some folks--no chile I am aware of is green when ripe.

Lima beans are awful, as are most store bought tomatoes. ALWAYS ask for tomato to be omitted should you end up eating a fast food burger. Corollary: try and avoid most all fast food burgers. Five Guys and In'N'Out (animal style) are decent. Avoid In'N'Out fries.

Miracle Whip beats mayo for most things and catsup belongs on a hot dog. Relish belongs in tartar sauce, not on a dog or burger. Tartar sauce is GREAT with fried shrimp. Frying shrimp is the ultimate expression of the shrimp.

Tabasco Chipotle hot sauce is far superior to plain Tabasco. So is Cholula brand, and (when heat isn't important) Crystal.

Catsup MUST be Heinz, despite the fact they misspell the product as "ketchup".

Cabbage for cole slaw should be finely, or at least thinly, chopped/sliced.

Fries should be shoe-string. Steak "fries" (aka potato wedges) suck.

Stews of all kinds need to have small pieces of each ingredient so that several different ingredients end up on your spoon. A 1.5 inch piece of beef or potato in a stew is a SIN! I have a recipe for "succotash" with zucchini, corn, onion, red bells sauteed in oil with a bit of butter and Worchestershire to finish it off. All components are minced to the size of a corn kernel. NO limas.

In general, BBQ (or grilled) and "one-dish/one pot meals" (stews, casseroles, gumbos,..., etc.) are the best.

"Lite" beer is a sin. Red wine is generally preferable to white.

Lemonade should be da**ed tart: 1 part lemon juice, 4 parts water, 1/2--3/4 part sugar.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, good stuff. I'm of the opposite mindset that BBQ should be good enough it doesn't need sauce (speaking of the kind I make). But it's always available if the kids or guests want it on the side. I realize though that to some it's as necessary as ketchup for fries or syrup for pancakes, it's just part of it for some folks.

Hate Miracle Whip, it is called that because it is a miracle people don't get whiplash from dry heaving after consuming that crap.

LOVE a burger with ketchup, mustard, pickles, bread, and meat, that's it (hello Burger King $1 burger). Bacon can be added but not necessary. I also love a good grilled burger with mayo and mustard and lettuce.

Love caramelized onions, hate onions on a burger raw or in anything else, including tuna fish, except in batter in an onion ring, like them dudes.

Like pineapple, but not in cake.

Like raisins, but not in cookies.

HATE relish in potato salad, deviled eggs, and anything else, LOVE pickles.

Hate smothered okra, LOVE fried okra, pickled okra, and okra gumbo.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too every time i slice onions i can't help myself i have to eat them. Always have to slice more than the recipe requires and caramelized? I could eat a ton of those sweet things....

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            NO way I could do that. I freaked watching George eat a raw onion on Seinfeld.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod Broussard, yeah I cringed at that episode too. I'd do it of someone paid me $50 but never on purpose. I hate raw onions. They're like little slices of evil snuck into my burger or sandwich by the devil. Sauteed caramelized onions = love!

I remembered another tonight, I always eat right handed unless I eat steak, I eat that left handed always. People constantly say I didn't know you were a lefty when I eat steak, but I just prefer using my right for the knife work.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I do that too, when I'm running a steak knife I become left-handed with the fork. I teach my kids to do that. You need your best control when using a knife, to me (and you) that just makes sense!

My quirk is when I find something I really, really like I eat it almost everyday. That Mongolian marinaded bone in chicken thigh dish I do... I need rehab!

Hot dogs... Bun, dog, ball park mustard, onions ONLY! ketchup is blasphemous!

The best fast food burger on the planet is... A double/double with cheese animal style at In&Out!

Bernaise sauce... Yes with a filet, no with a Ribeye!

Steak with fettuccine Alfredo... Yes! Steak and baked potato, no!

Ordering a Steak in a restaurant... No way Jose!

The lettuce on my hamburger MUST be crispy and very cold and raw red onions are just fine when you don't have caramelize onions.

Pre-fermented sourdough bread is much better than non-prefermented sourdough bread you get at the grocery store!
          Last edited by Breadhead; June 11, 2015, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, I'm almost always disappointed by restaurant steaks unless it's someplace like Morton's or the Chicago Chop House, which aren't everyday options due to $$$$. Mine are much better. The butter Ruth's Chris adds is an awful idea.

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            Wartface .My favorite take away burger at a shop near work is what they call a double burger. Double beef patties double cheese thick bacon and bbq sauce. I have it once every two weeks as a treat. Probably different to yours but my guilty pleasure...

I can't swallow raw oysters... not a big thing, but they just WONT go down

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Practice with something cooked like BBQ oysters or Rockefeller. In my experience about half the time, raw oysters are just "meh" and half the time they are sublime. Not sure what the reason is.

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            I have never once tried an oyster, I don't like a lot of textures and that big thick loogi thing doesn't even look appetizing.

I was 18 before I would try ketchup. Now I love it.

I can't stand the thought of potatoes or any kind of salad drenched in a mayo based sauce. I don't eat potato salad or coleslaw. Mayo on a Jimmy John's sandwich is teh awesome though. Weird, yes it is.

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Love me some JJ roast beef sammiches richinlbrg

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Pit Boss it should have read oil and vinegar. I HATE AUTO CORRECT ON MY iPad!!!

Yes, I like JJ with mayo AND oil and vinegar.

Same for Subway.....roast beef, and also throw on some cukes - and EXTRA mayo!

Flame away, folks!

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            It's OK. I knew what you meant

I eat too fast. Like it's my last meal or someone will eat it if I take too long. I'll eat about anything anyway. I like dinner food for breakfast. I'll eat an entire container of ice cream if my wife is out of town for a couple of days so the carton is in the trash.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
            FLBuckeye commented
            Editing a comment
            I worked in the restaurant business and never knew when an issue would arise so I got pretty good at scarfing my food down quickly. Have slowed down a bit lately

Some pretty interesting stuff here! Betting a shrink would have a heyday with us!

Comment

My foodie guilty pleasure is one M&M peanut piece placed in a Fritos scoop, then popped into the mouth. The perfect bite. Must be the scoop option--regular Fritos don't work. I can empty a bag of M&Ms peanuts or Fritos scoops in one sitting (say, a Netflix movie), whichever runs out first, so I line up a half dozen of these tasty morsels and hide the bags from myself.

I always eat my salad last.

Popcorn and beer make a great supper. (Note: husband does not agree)

Fried chicken without pickled jalapenos is just sad.
            A corollary:Whole pickled jalapenos are meant to be eaten in no more than two bites.

Not food, but mealtime-related: I hate the sound of a paper napkin scratching across a man's beard stubble. Like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I always provide cloth napkins; breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacktime.

Best junk sammie ever: Peanut butter with Flaming Hot Cheetos on multigrain bread.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis