Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets all give Steve Vojtek a standing ovation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets all give Steve Vojtek a standing ovation...

I don't know if any of you have been following our thread about teaching Steve to make sourdough bread.

Me acting as a conduit to put him in touch with the right information provided by other highly accomplished baker's of sourdough bread.

Steve obviously has a passion for learning how to make sourdough bread. I sensed that in some of his request for information from me. I decided I was going to use that thread to use my 5 years of studying sourdough bread to shorten his learning curve to making really, really good bread. My other desire was to show all of my fellow Pit members that it's NOT nearly as complicated as people think it is. Hoping some others would want to use that thread to learn to make REAL bread, not that stuff you buy in your local supermarket.

He started by making his own sourdough starter out of just flour, water and the wild yeast that is present everywhere. Then I sent him a link to a video of how to make a loaf of sourdough bread produced by Chef Jacob of StellaCulinary.com and other informative video's and written information. Steve devoured that information quickly.

In about 4 weeks Steve went from never baking a loaf of bread to producing an almost perfect and beautiful loaf of sourdough bread. Most beginning bakers wouldn't get a loaf like Steve's very first loaf in their first year. That's why I say a "Standing Ovation" is in order. His very first loaf of sourdough bread is truly a work of art that could go on a magazine cover.

Steve... Proper credit and appreciation of information provided is in order. Not to me but to Chef Jacob. He is not a Pit member so he has no access to our thread. It would be nice if you went to his website and thanked him for being such a good teacher and for producing that video. Send him the pictures of your first loaf. That will blow him away that you accomplished that in 1 month.

For those that want to see proof of Steve's great feat go to that thread and look at his pictures.

Way to go!!!

Both of you!

Put the best of this site on display!!

Good job to you both!

Comment

@richinlbrg...

Thank you for your kind comment.

All credit goes to Steve Vojtek. He studied the information I directed him to. He made his own starter from just flour and water. He mixed the dough. He developed the gluten strands with proper handling of the dough at the proper times. He final shaped the dough to get tension on the boule so he could get maximum oven spring. He docked/scored his boule like an expert. It took me forever to learn to dock bread properly. He chose the proper baking vessel. He over came the limitation of a inadequate oven.

I'm not surprised by Steve's success on his very first loaf of sourdough bread... I'm shocked that anyone could pull this off!

I'm willing to say this... I'll bet Steve's feat of producing such a work of art on his very first loaf of sourdough bread will never again be duplicated by any Pit member as long as this thread stays active.

I really don't think Steve has a clue what he just did.

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Wartface I think you just threw out a challenge!! LOL

And let's not forget how was there for him sharing, too, eh???

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        @richinlbrg

That is a challenge for sure.

I'm pretty comfortable saying that that feat will not be duplicated. I've hung around lots of bread websites for the last 5 years. Learning at first and then guiding beginners.

There is so many things you can do or not do that will make your dough fail. Somehow miraculously Steve did every single step perfectly on his first try.

If Vegas was taking bets on someone with No, Zero, Zilch bread baking experience to duplicate Steve's feat the odds would probably be 10,000 to 1.

It was a pretty thing... Good Job Steve 👏 👏 👏 👏

Comment

Oh i just discovered this thread ... Oh i'm speechless .. but i can still type - thank you so much for those very kind words.. And i must insist all the credit goes to You and Chef Jacob my friend and i will give him my appreciation. I've learned soo much from AR and not just about meat - thank you AR - I just hope it wasn't 'beginner's luck' and i can do better this weekend. And as far as the 'challenge' richinlbrg why not it really is not that hard if i can do it anyone can do it - i bet you will do better than me . Thank you smarkley the beer and V8 juice is on my to do list- as i said learning so much more - i'm glad no one can see me cause i'm blushing right now - wow

Comment

I have tried making bread! I am standing on a chair for that ovation even... this is great news and gives me hope! Kudos to Wartface for being a good teacher!

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            @steveinLFP... Thanks for your kind words.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Steve Vojtek drank the kool aid. He devoured the information and executed it perfectly. What I contributed was a collection of information I had absorbed online for years. I condensed it and picked the fly $hit out of the pepper... I made it easy for him to understand.

Still... Physically handling dough by hand your first time is a MAJOR challenge. You have no reference point. He went by what he saw on video.

I'm still quite amazed at how he pulled this off.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis