Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's not do THAT again, soon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's not do THAT again, soon!

Everone OK? we had a few minutes of excitement over here, yesterday and went to bed without power. how about the rest of you. how was YOUR evening? I was just thinking "Wow! What a cool storm, until the rain started going sideways, then suddenly went the OTHER way. that's when I closed the door, and the dogs and I moved to the hallway. it was over in less than 10 minutes and the sun was shining. good thing since the lights were out. took a quick walk of the neighborhood to do welfare checks on the neighbors who lived alone or were elderly. a few downed limbs but, once again, I bless the fact that I live in the sheltering lee of Missionary Ridge.

Wow that is crazy stuff! You guys sure do live with some extreme weather down there!
    I always wanted to be a storm chaser but I'm too much of a sissy to let the storm have a chance to chase ME, so I'll just take my rain and snow up here.

I assume "downed limbs" were trees and not people?
    Glad you and yours are all ok! And since you are, hoping that you're also lucky enough to escape any espensive damage $$

Comment

No excitement out here in sunny California. Just drought and the occasional earthquake. Yesterday the thermometer hit 102, but today is supposed to be back down in the low 80's. I did go through my share of hurricanes growing up in the deep South, but never experienced, nor do I want to experience, a tornado.

Comment

We had some nutty bursts of storms with hail mixed in here in Chicagoland on Monday. Nonetheless, the girlfriend and I trudged out for errands. I should have stayed at home as the side of my car got smashed by a wind-blown shopping cart that someone was too lazy to put back in the cart corral. It's 100 feet away, people. Use it.

Comment

That is one of the beauties of ChattaVegas. The city proper has only ever had a very few tornadoes. it is bordered on three sides. Lookout Mountain, Signal Mountain and Missionary Ridge. I actually live just steps from I @4, which was the path Sherman's Army took from Tennessee to Atlanta. Without taking the Ridge, they would have had to circle around the back of Lookout Mountain.

How does that effect weather, well, for the most part, the mountains and the ridge break these systems up pretty neatly. We rarely have snow. When we do, it is generally just a few inches. just enough to enjoy a few days sledding, making it a treat. then, 2-3 days later, it's 50 degrees again. Winter here lasts 2 weeks. not necessarily 14 consecutive days.

We are too far South for major snow systems (and the only one that do drop snow are the ones that come up from the SouthWest by way of Birmingham. Too far North to be QUITE so oppressively hot as even Atlanta. Too far inland for Hurricanes, too many mountains and ridges for lots of tornadoes.

and while we are near a fault line, destined to quake right NOW, that is over between Memphis & St Louise, the origins of Reel Foot Lake. we generally have recorded minor rumbling, barely noticed.

It is about as good a climactic spot as you could wish.

Comment

All is calm, cool and collected here in Hermosa Beach, Ca. Our Governor, Moon Beam, says we are out of water but my tap keeps giving what I need. We get a few small quakes now and then but no really big shaker's for decades. I'm 500 yards from the Pacific Ocean so I do worry about a potential huge wave... But not much.

All is good...

Comment

Just a friendly reminder that sideways political cracks don't make for the welcoming atmosphere we all value here.

Comment

But on the lighter side Arnie has gone back to doing movies - one of my favourite actors.....

Comment

The Villain. one of my all time favorites! When we were working in Boxer rescue, years ago, our rescue coordinator called me and said, "We have a really Handsome boy to foster." and the tuned for "Handsome stranger, la da tada dahhh. So, we called him Arnold. Sadly, he had a very bad kidney issue. There was a lovely woman who lives near who adopted him. It was destined. Turns out, she was a major Arnie fan, owned a nice piece of land on flat Top Mountain and had the money to provide his medical care.

I always liked that Arnold didn't really take himself too seriously. though if you have seen Pumping Iron, you could see him serious when needed.

Comment

Quote:'I always liked that Arnold didn't really take himself too seriously' unquote. Yeah that's exactly why like him too . Here are some ads he made for Australia -
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAXxnvLmtdc
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhkkrkgCNkI
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8qIQsrg9w
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjXcXEuT9M8
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXxfSegE5L4

So funny...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis