Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collecting the jus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collecting the jus

Do you guys collect the jus from your cooks? I've always done it during my wrap since it's easy to collect in the foil, but that's about 6 hours into the cook. Why not just collect it from the start? I could just put a bucket under the drain plug of the smoker as it drips and then occasionally pour it out (separating the fat, of course). Anything wrong with that?

eugenek , I'm not 100% but my concern would be that I am getting more than just the drippings from the meat. You could be getting residual buildup and grease burn off from previous burns plus if you are smoking more than one meat I am not sure how the mix would be. Personally it is probably something I wouldn't try. I am like you I usually collect juices on certain meats when I wrap them then pour the juice into a gravy/fat separator.

If you have read any of Myron Mixon's stuff you will find he smokes nearly everything in a foil pan. He doesn't wrap it the entire time but either way it is cooking in a pan. If you are worried about the meat setting in the juice the entire time then you can put a wire rack in the pan to lift the meat enough to keep it out of the juice. I think he uses the pans for a few reasons:
    1. easier to move around the smoker if you need to
    2. easier clean up
    3. jus retention
    4. easier to cover just the foil pan with foil later in the wrap
    5. he is using a high heat cooking method.

I'm sure there are some tradeoffs with some smoke but not sure if it is that big of a tradeoff.
    Last edited by Nate; June 9, 2015, 06:05 AM.

Comment

After pouring out this gorgeous can of brisket drippings after cooking 2 of them this weekend, I'm thinking of putting a foil pan under the racks holding the briskets and keeping a little water in it to collect the jus! What is not to love? Meathead recommends this for Thanksgiving Turkey.

Comment

I put a large pan under my meat when I cook. if, for some reason there are different kinds of meat, for instance, when I smoked off some pork trotters and various chicken parts for gelatin, I kept one side one meat, one side the other and two separate pans gathering from different parts.

Now, when I BBQ or smoke bacon, I use a large porcelain on steel pan, filled with water to catch my drips. don't throw that away. in that pan lies THE best gravy/bbq sauce you have ever tasted. Also, there is no reason to separate off the oil. leave it there. make your sauce. if you still have oil on the surface when you are finished, you can skim the oil when you are finished.

generally, when making my BBQ sauce, I put the entire pan of drippings in the pan. the oil it there as well. after simmering for hours to make your unbelievable sauce, you'll find that you won't have any oil left. why? as it simmered, the oil became gelatin in the sauce. most will if you simmer it for a while. If you want the sauce ready when the meat is, you can do what we do. we start our meat the night before. when we awake in the morning, we snake the drip pan out (replacing it) and bring git in and use it to start the sauce. by the time the meat comes off at lunch, the sauce is ready.

Comment

last weekends ribs (4 baby backs) that were wrapped in foil after smoking yielded about 4 cups of jelly goodness. i've used it as awesome sauce for reheating and a baste for the meat the next day. It had good sweetness from the apple juice, brown sugar and the spice of the rub preloaded in. the only way to reheat leftovers, in my book
          Last edited by CurlingDog; June 9, 2015, 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

The one thing to be alert for is salt. There can be a lot of salt in those drippings. Yet another reason to dry brine in advance to let the salt move in rather than sit on the surface.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis