Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older than You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older than You

Have anything in your home you still use that is older than you?

Wives and Husbands don't count.

Yep! A couple of pieces of second furniture we bought when we were first married and an inherited trunk. What about you?

Comment

Well, the house itself and one of the garages are older than both of us. And we have a Heywood-Wakefield dining table and chairs that are older than we are.

Edit to add: and Grandma Ferne's china cabinet. She'd haunt us if I forgot to add that.
      Last edited by Ann-Marie in the backyard; July 29, 2020, 05:49 AM.

Comment

I have a cast iron pot that dates to the early 1900s. But I think that’s about it.

Comment

Most of my furniture is older than me.

My steak knife is a 'Thomas Harrison & Sons' from Nottingham, about 150 years old.

I have the pick up truck that I came home from the hatchery in, a 1956 Ford F100.

My apple warehouse was constructed in the 1920's and a house I own in 1899.

Probably more, but I'm just on my first cup of coffee.

Comment

A few decorative dishes and my Mom's potato masher.

Comment

I've got an old Estwing finish nail hammer that hangs above the "quick project" bench. The handle is formed with stacked leather discs, still a great feel. If this were a couple months ago I could have added a couple old Ford hot rods, but they've been sent down the road.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
                Uncle Bob commented
                Editing a comment
                CRS strikes with age; forgot about the 1906 dated display cabinet I've got with die cast collectibles on display. I love the subtle ripples old glass gets.

Not that I use these daily or anything, but I have two of the old Coleman white gas lanterns and a camping stove that go along on camping trips. Circa 1965 and older, so the newest one has me by just a few years. There is other stuff that is older, but I don't actually use those things, so I'm not counting them.

It's funny how this question gets harder to answer the older you get.

edit: And just to prove my own point, I just remembered the wedding band I have been wearing daily for the past 26 years. It was created using my wife's great-grandmother's engagement ring long ago. So it definitely pre-dates me by several decades.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200729_143638.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	888239Click image for larger version

Name:	20200729_143645.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	888238

Last edited by Steve R.; July 29, 2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

An M1 carbine and M4 bayonet circa the Korean war and a couple of my grandmothers cast iron skillets.

I still have some hand tools that belonged to my Grandfather that are in working order.

Comment

This 80+ year old electric clock which was a wedding gift to my in laws in the early 1940’s. Still keeps perfect time and still chimes every quarter hour. It holds a prominent place in our entry hall and in our hearts.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	66C9F68D-953A-4A46-9B0B-27D4544DB075.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	888032

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                    ComfortablyNumb commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice, being a family treasure makes it all the more special. We have some old clocks and watches that my wife got from a lady she cared for. One of them is displayed on the mantel.

A family heirloom china cabinet purchased in the 1920’s from the Timothy Eaton mail order catalogue.
                  There's the original receipt floating around here somewhere.
                  Ordered in Toronto, railed out west and back more than once, lucky it still in one piece.
                  Couple if old pocket watches earliest is a Waltham circa 1887
                  Last edited by smokin fool; July 29, 2020, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                    Editing a comment
                    The receipt made me think of the wedding ring my wife has. She got it from a lady she took care of, it was her mother's ring and the receipt came with it. It was purchased in England in the late 1800's

Tools, the chest of drawers the tools are in. My Dad's record collection. Tools. My Dad's Lionel trains, prewar. Did I mention tools? My Dad was a machinist, his Dad installed elevators in NYC. I also have my Moms father's footlocker, F Troop, WW I Calvary. My Dad put wheels on it, cleaned it up, painted and contact paper for my Grandmother to use as storage. Grandpa must not of been happy (rest his soul) his info painted on the locker came through the plastic contact paper.
                  Old Tools Rule!
                  Last edited by HawkerXP; July 29, 2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
                    ofelles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    F Troop with Forest Tucker. I'm thinking not the same one!

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah. That is another one . ofelles

A few cast iron pans, some cooking utensils, a few tools, a really cool picture of my grandfather fueling his biplane in the 30's, my grandmother's framed copy of "If" by Rudyard Kipling (which has been a lifelong guide for me), and a vintage WWII Japanese Arisaka Type 99 rifle complete with chrysanthemum stamp. Probably some other this's and that's, but that's what comes to mind.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm surprised that anything is older than you!
                    But then, who am I to talk. ;-)

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey Cap, been thinking about you. All good?? ComfortablyNumb Bwahahahaha!!

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HouseHomey all is good Brother. 2020 is the year of surgeries for me. Nothing "critical" (well, except for the appendectomy), with the most recent foot fixin' last Monday. Just signs of a body well and truly used! My spirits are good and my mind is as....uh....sharp? as always! Thanks for the buddy check Erik!! And ComfortablyNumb I'm only 59 (going on 90 some mornings!) and can still beat most of the kids to the top of the ridge! Maybe not today though...

Just about everything I own.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So we've seen.

Are you kidding me?

Our house is full of old crap. I cant get sophia to rid of any of it. I have had old furniture, and the like my whole life.

I’m to the point where I want new Sh&@!

im tired of crap not working right, not matching, not fitting and mismatched this or that. I don’t want new for the sake of new but for all of the other reasons. I know much of the older stuff was built better like motors, pans, furniture etc.. but I’m jus tired of all the stuff.

Fred Sanford comes to mind.

All of our couches have been purchased as Goodwill or Salvation Army and the likes. My casual shirts and shorts too because Sophia had the eye test for sizing down to a science.

Now Princess Ava wants to go look at stuff at the thrift stores with Sophia, jeeze insert eye rolling here.

Like I Said, I’m not opposed to old stuff but why do we need so much of it.

Is it wrong that I want new dishes?

I’m mean look at this stuff we use. The colored bowls are the newest along with the plastic plates. I bought these a year ago so the princess doesn’t burn herself on the plates/bowls when getting them out of the microwave.

We have tons more of bowls, casseroles and serving stuff. All oddballs and UNSTACKABLE.
                  Lots of the Corning ware/Tupperware stuff we all remember. Hate most of for being clunky and unmanageable for space when you have 12,349 pieces and never one available when you need it.

So with that comes to mind an old griswald skillet and a cedar chest that belonged to my father as a boy.

Wow. I feel so much better now. Who knew?

Click image for larger version  Name:	B9C2B7E7-6D23-4A54-BCF8-043D9B8707BD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	888110

Click image for larger version  Name:	54FAFBF4-DC62-44B4-98BF-0143E63D5442.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.93 MB ID:	888111

Click image for larger version  Name:	6348535D-370D-4B5A-8CFD-C5480F2948BD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	888112

Click image for larger version  Name:	7CCDD86E-62E6-44E4-A0C2-8856BCED0375.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.00 MB ID:	888113

Click image for larger version  Name:	E4CCE5E2-4081-406E-AC51-DF5D8EA46338.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.10 MB ID:	888114

Click image for larger version  Name:	FA89B398-34EA-45AE-A4D2-7BB180D11950.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.02 MB ID:	888115
                  Last edited by HouseHomey; July 29, 2020, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• holehogg
                    holehogg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad you got a load off your shoulders.

• troymeister
                    troymeister commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HouseHomey It seems you're in the market for a matching set of dishes. I think I may have a set from the 60's you may like

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    troymeister No one in the pit actually knows how funny that is. That is hilarious my friend.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis