Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maple wood for smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maple wood for smoking

A neighbor recently cut down a sugar maple and asked for some of the branches to cut up for smoking. Do I have to peal the bark off the wood before I use it in the smoker?

Thanks.

Likely not. Good smoking wood!

Comment

I am likely to get this wrong and should really research, but I'm at work and don't have time.

If memory serves they talk about this is the Smoke and Smoke Rings seminar by Dr. Blonder. Bark has more Nitrous than sapwood, which in turn has more than heartwood. Nitrous is what works with the myoglobins to produce the smoke ring. It isn't a big deal to use the bark.

Did I get that right? At any rate, please watch that seminar, well worth the 1.5 hour investment.
      Last edited by Usernamevalid; June 8, 2015, 02:23 PM.

Comment

If the bark is clean, bug free, well adhered and never sprayed with tar, it will be fine. Split the wood, let dry a while but not to bone dry (bone dry "rings" when hit, too wet makes a dull sound)- around 22% moisture content, and enjoy this great neighborly gift! Flavor depends on time of year when cut, and soil, but almost always sweet.

Comment

I love maple. Mild, works well with all meats I've tried so far. I've used it green by preburning some chunks in the charcoal chimney while the charcoal is lighting.

Comment

I have used silver maple from my backyard with good results. Unfortunately, the kids cleaned out my stash the last time they went camping.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis