Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College football season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College football season

Like many of you I'm an avid college football fan.
    I root for Texas A&M because of family obligations but am a fan and root of many teams.
    With the Covid-19 seemingly firmly entrenched in many college campus's I'm wondering what you think the odds of a college football seasons even occurring.
    Many conferences have already cancelled football this fall, some are going to conference play only, some are still un-decided of any course of action.
    There are many considerations here, player health and welfare, the monetary aspect that football has in school budgets and us as fans.
    I've cancelled my plans to travel to Dallas for this years Southwest Classic. I don't want to go and possibly catch the plague, more importantly I don't want to possibly bring the plague down to my family in Dallas if I am by chance infected.
    What say you college football fans.
    Last edited by smokin fool; July 26, 2020, 08:44 AM.

College football might be the only option left for my sports viewing.

just have to see how it goes.

Comment

Keeping my personal and political feelings out of this, I think they’ll play. I’m in SEC country, we might only have conference only or regional type games, but feel like we’ll play fall sports.

Despite the political stuff in MLB, I’m excited it’s back on the tv.

Comment

I'm fairly confident there will be a college football season, even if it has to be without fans. But as a season ticket holder, I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that.

Comment

As a university employee, I cain't rightly reckon how they will be able to not play, considerin revenue already lost...
          Toughest question is: how can ya tackle somebody, while maintainin a 6 foot separation?

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            That six foot tackling question is a tough one.

As the number of leagues, teams and games played have declined, I would expect the decline to continue. But, whether it will go to zero is another question.

Comment

I understand that UCF is claiming the 2021 National Championship. Their AD claims Covid is just an conspiracy to keep them out of the BCS.

Here's a photo of their last trophy.

Roll Tide.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Bkhuna; July 26, 2020, 04:50 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              LMAO!!!!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              LMAO +2. Took me a second to get it.

If it even starts, I can’t imagine it lasting more than a few weeks, although hope I’m wrong. What happens when one player on a team tests positive during the season? Won’t the entire team have to go on a two week quarantine, thus forfeiting 2 games? Looks whats going on already with Michigan State and Rutgers in the past week. Either the teams/leagues will have to be okay with some amount of risk/spread or I don’t see how the season will be completed.

Comment

Well you know my feelings on the subject smokin fool . I'm wondering if we'll even have a season as well. I wouldn't worry about the Dallas trip, there may not be any large crowd events allowed in Texas for the rest of the year the way the pandemic is hanging on for dear life here.

So strange, finally saw my first baseball game(s) over the weekend. Love the way thy pipe in the crowd noise, I mean who is that for the fans or the players? Totally bizarre. Well at least it's MLB, what the heck.

Hook 'em Horns (whenever)

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                Haven’t watched any MLB yet my mother watched a few games yesterday said the crowd noise was kinda hokey. Like you know the stands are empty....who you trying to fool

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                It was totally hokey! Next thing you know they'll have cutout people propped up in the stands. Whole thing will resemble a video game !!!

I think they will wait until the last minute to cancel, but I doubt there will be a season. And even if there is, forget a championship, because so many will sit out that it wouldn't be real anyway.

Comment

58.6%. Yessir.

Comment

I don't see how they do a season when the virus is out of control in key area (Texas, FL etc) and you're asking kids to play who aren't even getting paid to take the risk... never mind the staff, coaches etc who are.

Would I love to have football? Sure. But instead of driving the case count down aggressively, people acted like children and the curve is spiking ands won't go down by fall. So... while I'd love to have football, do I want people to sicken and die so I can watch it? No.

Comment

I think college football (and NFL for that matter) are watching MLB, NBA, and NHL really closely as they start playing games again. If they can get through their seasons with only minimal virus spread throughout the players and team personnel I think they will play. If half the NBA players get sick and they have to cancel I think we might see a year with no (or at least) very minimal football.

The chances of having crowds there is another discussion. But the TV revenue is such a huge part of the revenue I think they could at least survive a year with no fans in attendance. The first MLB game between the Yankees and Nationals drew more viewers than any game in I think the last 9 years.

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don't mean to disagree with your basic premise rickgregory football (whether college or pro) is a contact sport which heightens the spread even more. But to say college athletes aren't paid is not technically true. I've had several friends who have had full ride scholarships, including tuition, fees, room and board, endorsement and other under the table free money. Trust me, they we're paid like the pros,but they were paid. Again your premise stands, its too dicey to send those kids out there.

• rickgregory
                      rickgregory commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Troutman - I knew someone would bring up the "but scholarship" point... and yeah, but come on. It doesn't at all compare to a pro salary and you know what I'm getting at. Two more points... no one gets under the table money aside from the top players and most of these kids will never play pro.

Pros stand to make at least $500k just this year and many are making much more. Risking your health to set yourself and your family up for life is very different than a scholarship
                      Last edited by rickgregory; July 26, 2020, 02:49 PM.

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      rickgregory Agreed being paid pro versus being paid college are not even comparable. But if you think there's no "under the table" money in college athletics shows your naivete. My best friend from HS had a full ride as a basketball player at Oklahoma. He was given a salary for a job he knew nothing about and never showed up to. Trust me, wealthy donors control the system of handouts at most major schools. That's why there's the push to go ahead and pay them legally, its already happening.

1) RE - TAMU - WHOOOPP!! {went to grad school there}

2} I hope we have college football this year. I can't really see how we do that safely, but there's a lot of money on the line.

3} honestly, my mighty mighty razorbacks could use a year off. They haven't actually played football in a couple few years, so another season not playing won't hurt

Comment

• BFlynn
                      BFlynn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I thought we were friends....

Saw Em Off!
                      Short!!

• Oak Smoke
                      Oak Smoke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Troutman you may be surrounded. My daughter is an A&M grad, DVM. I took the route your friend took to OU. So gig'em and boomer sooner!

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh yea well our new end zone seating boasts the shape of a uterus!! So there, beat that Kyle Field !!! :’)

I have read that CA and WA have moved their fall HS football season to spring next year, and the PAC12 and others have gone to a conference only schedule. I'd be cool with it if they waited until spring to play College ball, if that means a proper season. My gut is they won't and just try to hammer out as many games as they can without butts in the seats.

Comment

• shify
                      shify commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Problem with spring ball for college FB is the NFL draft which is in mid/end of April. No way in hell would they move it, so you’d probably see a lot of opt outs to train for the combine/draft which might even occur before the spring season ended.

• smokin fool
                      smokin fool commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Same as players in California are committing to colleges with another year left of high school eligibility.
                      Players hoping to be one of the 1%

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis