Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn signal bulb going in and out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signal bulb going in and out

Right turn signal bulb (51% of all turns are right turns) went out the other night. Turns out my light bulb assembly was completely shattered off. No idea where, bulbs still intact.

Next day bulb is working fine. Change assembly earlier today, bulb stops working again.

Just left Autozone w/ a pack of 2 bulbs and Lith Grease. Bulb starts working again.

Wiring going bad? Fuse or bulb reluctantly giving up the ghost?

Truck is 13 years old, 99,850+ miles, kept under a carport. Only gets washed when it rains directly on the vehicle.

Could be the turn signal relay going bad or a bad ground. I had a Dodge Dakota that the air conditioning went out of under warranty and they had to remove the whole dash to fix. Needless to say, they missed hooking a ground back up and I went through 2 door lock motors and a couple turn signal relays before finally finding it.

The first relay almost cost me my life. I signaled (well pulled the lever anyway) in busy rush hour traffic to get over to exit where other cars were also merging on. A motorcycle was trying to pass people on the right and got pissed saying I cut him off (he was still at least a couple car lengths behind me). He followed my to the clinic where I was driving my mom for cancer treatment and cussed and called me names for five minutes. The guy was being an idiot trying to see how many cars he could pass on the right before merging in, but I did feel bad a couple days later when I realized the signals weren’t working.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, only so much you can do when you have about 1/10th of a mile to merge into a lane that comes and goes in that stretch and there’s a more than adequate gap. Not to mention trying to pass people on the right in on/off ramps won’t win you much sympathy from me. He was no where near as close to me as he wanted to pretend to be. I watch for and pay close attention to any bikes I see on the road.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      The funny thing is I remember it like it just happened yesterday and it was 15 years ago. The way he insulted my dying mother most of all. He was looking for someone to confront that day.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy Times like that is when you need a 9MM in the console.

Is there a chance that any critters have been chewin' on the wires?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really. Open car port with cats all over, not that they eat all the mice, but no mice or sign of them.

Though if it’s only right, probably not the relay. Could be corrosion in the connectors too.

Comment

I suspect you are not really using your turn signal and are blaming the bulb!

Really though, probably some corrosion seeing how it is exposed. This is classic Beaumont. East Texas rust.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s funny. I wonder if it’s a Ford. Around here Ford trucks don’t even come with turn signal levers.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        glitchy Hey, don't go there! Your just causing trouble! 😁

Have you checked your blinker fluid?

As the others have mentioned, check for corrosion on any connectors, Use a volt meter to check the hot wire and the ground wire.
      Last edited by 58limited; July 24, 2020, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        My niece and nephews actually got me a small bottle of “blinker fluid” for Christmas two years ago.
        Obviously as a gag.
        But I do keep it next to my toolbox.
        Don’t ask what I’ve gotten them. 😬😂😂

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        58limited - DeOx-it is da bomb! I have it to fix scratchy pots, etc on guitars, amps and pedals. Earlier this summer, the eviction ignition on my gas grill wasn't working. It's the kind with a battery and when you press the button if goes "click, click, click" like a modern electric stove. After finishing I had no continuity cross the switch terminals with the button depressed, I managed to get the switch apart to the point that I was able to get some DeOx-it. 5 mins later it was just like new.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yet another adherent of De-Ox-It

Like our esteemed colleague, Barrister Dew, I initially got it fer guitfiddle amp pot rehabilitation, but it's usefulness soon pervaded other aspects of my life...

+1 on th dielectric grease...

>Lectrician<
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 25, 2020, 06:29 AM.

I’ll throw some thoughts out, I will preface it with I twisted wrenches professionally prior to my current job. Without knowing what kind of truck it is I will offer a couple of things to check. If it has a plug into a board like Chevy trucks, those connectors are notorious for the pins spreading. Also those same trucks have a tail lamp ckt board that have had tons of issues. If it comes and goes, it’s likely a connection issue I.e. corrosion or spread terminals.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        F-150 but I'll check connectors

Thanks for Clarifying what vehicle you are talking about Jesus I hate this spellcheck crap.😡
      Anyway. It’s not a fuse.

Is it the problem from the front or the rear?

It sounds most likely it’s the lens assembly its self.

Now when you say the “Light bulb assembly itself “ what exactly are you talking about?
      I can definitely help you with this issue. Just need some more info.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Rear passenger side. By "light assembly" I'm talking about that nice covering that you have to pull off to get to the lights. The bulbs and everything looked fine.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        It sounds like it could be the assembly itself.
        What year is your f150?

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment

If all else fails learn to use hand signals untill a new vehicle is affordable.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        People don’t even use levered turn signals, not a chance anyone around these parts will ever use a hand signal. Or even know them.

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        That won't jive when inspection time rolls around.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        There is only one hand signal used in the US, and it only requires one finger....

If you were in Florida, you could just drive around all the time with it blinking. "Florida, the Turn Signal Optional State". I think that's in our Motor Vehicle Handbook.
      Last edited by Bkhuna; July 25, 2020, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Cain't remember his name, musta been likely 30 or more yars ago, I heared a Senior standup comedian, his intro was "Hey, thanks! I drove alla th way from Florida to be here tonight! (applause)
        An I had my turn signal on th whole (Effakin) way" lol!
        I shot Guinness outta me nostrils, at that point, then he got even better lol!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 25, 2020, 11:04 PM.

I read something a while back that it could be in the turn signal switch on the steering column. I've been chasing bad grounds on my f-250 for months, and that's where I'm looking next.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        It'll definitely let you know she ain't working.

Jerod. Can I assume the lens assembly is an aftermarket one? It does sound like the assembly is junk.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Remove the bulb and pry the contacts a bit so they are contacting the bulb better. I have to do this all the time on my trailer.

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        what's the difference b/n a lens assembly and a tail light assembly?

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        If I’m not mistaken I think we’re talking about the same thing.
        I’ll throw a comment so I can show you a pic.

Here’s a tail lens assembly. Click image for larger version

Name:	BEF21CDD-602E-411C-835D-B566C767C1DC.png
Views:	154
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	886279

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahumadora my have something about bending the contacts.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you take a pic of the other side of the assembly?
        This will hopefully confirm what I’m thinking is the problem.

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        OK, so that is what was swapped out for $48. Currently moving so maybe tomorrow I can pop that dude out again and take an inside picture. I'll check the contacts.

This year my turn signal control went out, it was stuck on left turn. $500 to replace.

Comment

Sounds to me like the best fix is to sell the F-150 and buy a Tacoma

....or join the Focus ST club 🤠

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        This thing better be tickin' 20 years from now.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        How about the Shelby American Club.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis