Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not BBQ - Setting up a forum help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not BBQ - Setting up a forum help

I know there are some really smart people on this forum and I know many of you know more about computer related things than I will ever know. So I come to you for help with what is likely a very simple task but to me it may as well be written in Klingon.

We are setting up a forum using Discourse for a medical symposium my wife is heading. We are going through discoursehosting.net. Once we try to set it up, we are instantly lost. My wife wrote to the helpdesk and asked for some guidance. They pointed her to a setup wizard which I will try to use, but before that they said,
    "First step is to attach a hostname in your own domain, like community.[sitename].org or forum.[sitename].org."

Now I tried to find how to attach a hostname, I tried to figure out what a hostname was, I tried to figure out if our own domain is our website. The furthest I've gotten is that they are saying on our website (say www.amazingribs.com) we have to somehow set something up to be a forum (like pitmaster.amazingribs.com).

Our website is set up with Wordpress if that helps at all. Can someone please translate what I need to do to dummy-English?

Thank you all

Have a beer. Relax. Won’t get it done, but you’ll feel better .

Comment

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      I never feel out of my depth more than when I'm looking at computer stuff beyond using programs

So the pitmaster.amazingribs.com is known as a "fully qualified domain name" or an FQDN. In an FQDN, the hostname, is the leftmost label, so in this case, "pitmaster" is the hostname. What is the full URL for your website? Knowing that will help us help you.

Comment

Give this a read. It's all gibberish to me, but it has pictures, so that may help, or maybe not.

Comment

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha yeah my eyes glazed over pretty quick. What's worse is from my stumbling around last night, I think I saw that our website is hosted using (?) cPanel, which this article says doesn't work with Discourse. That's about as far as I made it...

I read their FAQ and also did a search for other forums using their platform. You have two options: 1. They will provide you with a free hostname such as yourforum.discoursehosting.net or 2: you can point your own registered hostname to the one they provided (When people visit www.myownsite.com you are actually directing them to yourforum.discoursehosting.net in the background.) You want to do number one! Ask them how you get assigned a free hostname.
    Examples I found of existing sites hosted by them were pedpath.discoursehosting.net, and stophairloss.discoursehosting.net.

Comment

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      I think this does make sense, and I believe we already have a yourforum.discoursehosting.net - type of website that's been assigned to us. If we can just use that, and if it is the better way to go, maybe I'm done?

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      You are actually trying to do number 2 if you want to have it appear as part of your www.boarnahero.org site. You need to create a forum button on your main site and then have that button send them to your myforum.discoursehosting.net site. Have your webmaster handle it, but if trying to do it yourself here is a link to help you get the concept: https://www.w3docs.com/snippets/html...ke-a-link.html

This is actually one of those things that is easy once you know how to do it. Your domain is registered somewhere (where you bought it likely). Godaddy, say. You need to add a DNS record there.

Let me explain:

Every domain in the world actually resolves to an IP address. This is precisely like phone numbers - you can tell your iPhone etc to "Call Rick Gregory" and what it does is look up the number you have stored for me. If you have one, it dials that. When a computer requests bornahero.org it looks up the IP address which is 107.180.0.251and goes there.

Wait, how did I get that IP address? There are servers all over the web that do nothing but host directories of these pairings. They're called nameservers and you tell them of a new mapping by using the Domain Name Service (hence DNS above).

What you need to do is to add an entry for something like 'forum.bornahero.org' to the DNS settings for bornahero.org and have it point to the IP address for the hosted Discourse forum (NOT the one above).

If all of that is over your head, PM me and we can get on a Zoom call and walk through it. I'm on the west coast, so Pacific time.
    Last edited by rickgregory; July 22, 2020, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the offer, and I'm just up the road from you. After struggling through a few things last night we sent a more targeted help request to the support team. If they don't come through, a Zoom call would be great! The last paragraph did go a teensy bit over my head

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis