Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For all BGE owners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    @Mosca

The grate in your picture with it legs up is design to go on your BGE both up and down. Put it in upside down with the legs in the notches of your fire ring for searing steaks. Then use it just standing on top of your regular grate to add additional cooking space. Put a pizza stone on top of it to bake bread or pizza. Use it to support and balance a wider grate to increase cooking space by even more. I've had that grate for about a month and love it.
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 14, 2015, 11:38 AM.

• Mosca
    replied
    Update on this topic: I am satisfied with the operation of my cap, so I passed on that one. But the grates intrigued me, because I'm always looking for a way to increase the area on my Egg, and another grill showing up on the deck would be death to Mosca, but grill grates are invisible and are NOT death to Mosca. In searching for the grate, I found TWO items, same manufacturer, and got them both. One is designed to go above the standard grate, the other is designed to go below the standard grate. I just unwrapped them and haven't had a chance to use either, but they are both very high quality, heavy duty steel coated with enamel. They both fit nicely on the existing grate with no wobble. The lid closes on the larger with plenty of clearance. I tried stacking the smaller grate on top of the larger one, but the lid doesn't close in that configuration. It is hard to tell in the photo, but the smaller grate is about 1.5" shorter than the larger grate, and would fit underneath the larger one easily. You could put a thick strip steak between the two. These are much higher quality than existing tiered solutions I've seen. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Mosca; June 14, 2015, 10:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I'm okay with the standard cap, mostly because I know where to set the vent for the different temps, but I'll give that rack a go.

• Breadhead
    replied
    Henrik and Mosca ... We all learn to operate around some of the less than stellar engineering that comes with a stock BGE. This item is so inexpensive and takes ALL of the work out of the daisy wheel. This keeps the possibility of rain entering your BGE out of the picture. Your choice is top cap on or off and it has a slide that determines how much air you give it. Plus your BGE has a nicer appearance with this on.

For me @ $45 it was a no brainier and now that I've used it for a few weeks I'm very pleased with this product. Almost as pleased as I am of the direct/indirect grate.

http://www.amazon.com/SmokeWare-Vent...reen+egg+grill
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 8, 2015, 09:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    If you turn the stock daisy wheel lid so that the screw is forward and slightly right, the settings stay the same when you open the dome.

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    The daisy wheel replacement looks promising. Every time you open the lid it swings fully open. Lousy engineering work on that part. I'm thinking of simply replacing the stock screw with a slightly longer one so I can fit a spring and two washers in there. It would be dead cheap, and cause the lid to be spring loaded, keeping it in place. Thanks for the tip!

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    You're funny, very funny!

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    I thought so......funny how you just instinctively know some things.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    Big Green Ears...

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    What in the world is a BGE???

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    started a topic For all BGE owners...

For all BGE owners...

Maybe all of you were ahead of me on these 2 items for your BGE?

I recently bought 2 items that I thought by reading about them that they would make using my BGE easier and more efficient. I have used them both many times and have found the replacement for the daisy wheel a huge improvement. You don't lose your settings when you open the dome. It's easier to get your setting correct for the temp you want to cook at.

The Grill Dome direct/indirect grate is a real jewel... Especially for $38. It's the best item I've used to do the reverse sear on a BGE, by far. I use it to elevate pizza, bread and other items above the felt line by standing it on top of the regular grate that sits on top of the plate setter legs up. You can place another grate on top of it to increase cooking space.

You might want to look at both of these items...?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis