Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A small 2.51lb chuck roast...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A small 2.51lb chuck roast...

Tomorrow I'm smoking three racks of Last Meal Ribs. I bought a 2.5lb chuck roast because I see you all seem to like them.

What the best rub for a chuck roast?

I've used Big Bad Beef Rub and we like it. We have also tried Meathead's Memphis Dust for something not peppery and like it as well, even with the sweetness of it.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fuzzydaddy. I have lots of Memphis Dust. I think I'll use that. Will it take about the same time at 225 as my ribs I'm smoking with the chuckie?

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      My chuckies usually run 2 to 3 lb and I smoke until they have good bark, typically 140-150 IT, then wrap or pan (I usually put in a pan covered with foil) until tender. This runs 8 to 9 hours total. If I go less time they will be tough / chewy. We like them very tender. I once tried cooking on the grate the entire time and they were too tough, which is why I went to either wrapping or putting in an aluminum pan.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Fuzzy... You get bark and wrap at 140/150. How high do you take them from there? 195/203?

I should have said, for chuck roasts, they are dark in color (not exactly bark I guess) - it's late tonight! I usually keep pretty good notes as I'm learning what works for me, and typically it's 3 hours to hit 140/150 IT, then 5-6 hours wrapped or in an aluminum pan until they are very tender. The last 3 or 4 I have used a pan with 2-4 oz of water or beef broth. In the pan I take them to 207 to 209 IT. I check the tenderness at 203 but they are usually not tender (like we prefer them) at 203.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fuzzy... That's what I needed. The approximate time and finish temp.

Do you slice them or pull them?

I pull them. Cooking them this way they are so tender that they wouldn't hold together to be able to slice.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks fuzzydaddy you've been very helpful...

Wartface I agree with everything fuzzydaddy said. BBBR is what I used last weekend. I was surprised that I needed to go to 209*F. I used my thermopen to judge toughness and it took that long. I wrapped at the 1st stall. I actually had to finish in the oven to speed it up.

Good luck!

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Slight correction, when I wrapped I did not add any liquid. And that left me with a GREST jus in the foil which I saved.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to try not adding liquid. I started out adding a 2-4 oz liquid based on really nothing :-) Thanks richinlbrg!

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Wrap... No liquid = great jus! Duly noted. Thx guys.

Wartface I gave you an answer over in our other conversation. I do what fuzzydaddy does, except I wait longer to wrap, after it's into the stall a ways, say 170-180. I don't use liquid in the foil, I just wrap like a pork butt and leave it on the grates. Take it higher than a pork butt- 207-209, then hold it at that high temp for about an hour then let it wane (cambro style) for at least an hour. I too prefer a peppery rub like BBBR.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee... I apologize for getting this going in both places. I thought everyone had gone to bed.

Prefer BBBR - 207/209. Duly noted.

Thanks Huskee - you're always so helpful.

Wartface take a look at this topic about chuck roasts. Pit Boss does a great tutorial on smoking them.

Also, Huskee has done a nice job on showing us how to make pulled beef on this topic.

When I did my first pair of chuckies, (I like to make pulled beef with them), I took them to 203. They were pullable, but it took some work. The next couple that I did, I took to 207-209. Ohmigosh, those things fell apart as I was pulling them! I didn't even need to use the Bear Claws on them. That pulled beef makes the best sammies, spaghetti meat sauce, and chili!

So for slicing you may want to take them off somewhere between 203 and 206, but for pulling take them to 207-209.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow you dug up some old goodies there!

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Kathryn... I did search for that info before asking this question. Geek I'm not! No could find! Thanks for the links.

207/209 = no bear claws, fell apart. Duly noted. Spaghetti sauce and chili... Mmmm.

Not gonna slice... I'm going to 209.

Your contribution to my first chuckie... More than 2 cents. At least $1.22! Thx

I used MH's BBBR for my 1st chuck roast. Dry-brined for 38.5 hrs; 16 hrs out of that with the BBBR. Below is a visual of the cook.

It may have set in the Faux for an hour or so, and I was still able to slice it. (I want to pull the next one, tho). Gone in 60 seconds.

HTH,

-- Ed Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuck_Chart.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	88288
    Last edited by Medusa; June 7, 2015, 05:29 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow... Just wow! That's an awesome graph! I'm using the Mav ET 735. Can I get this data from it?

Medusa , that graph sure says a lot. I zoom my monitor so I can read all the tiny numbers. I love studying it! You've got a good thing going on with that Excel charting method.

I'm on the verge of buying an iGrill2 with 4 probes mostly for the charting option, but perhaps with your method I can just stick with my Mavericks and actually haul my Mac laptop from my home office up to the deck (funny how an iPad makes a portable laptop seem so much less portable! ) and chart on the fly during a cook.

Kathryn

Comment

• Medusa
      Medusa commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW! Something that can export data to excel for graphing?!?! I could see where you could get the cooker temp vs. meat temp over time. Not sure you really need the vent settings, but I like to have them available to see how long any changes take to affect the cooker temp or how long they've been running at a specific setting.

It does take some tweaking to make the pretty chart.

--Ed

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Kathryn... The Mav ET 735 comes with new and improved probes. The connection of the wire to the probe has a better longer sleeve on it. I didn't realize that. Some other Pit member pointed that out to me when he saw a picture I posted.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I noticed that, Wartface, although all of the Maverick probes I have are still working well, and the website said that the 735 accepts all Maverick probes, as I recall. I'll have to verify that.

Medusa , you can hook all 4 probes up to an iGrill2 and monitor your 2 vent temps plus the meat and smoker temps just like you do now.

Kathyrn,

Here's a sampling of the Data Table behind the Chart. Intake / Exhaust are expressed as a percentage of "Open".

All data is entered by hand on the big cooking log, and then I cut & paste the 1st five columns into another sheet. I've found that 40 entries create a chart that fills the screen on the laptop...... so I have to delete many rows ( often redundant data). The original log had over 50 entries related to the cook ( only )

25 = 1/4 open; 100 = full open.

I think it's pretty cool that folks take their cooking seriously enough to record and graph their cooks!

--Ed
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Data_Table_Snap.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	88362
    Last edited by Medusa; June 7, 2015, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Thank you all for doing what Pit members are good at... Helping other Pit member step forward on new projects.

Based on all of your valuable imput I'm going to smoke the 3 racks of St Louis style Last Meal ribs today.

I'm going to save my first chuckie cook until next week so I have time to read all the links you've sent me and mix up some BBBR.

Thank you all for your gracious assistance.

I'll send pictures when I do the cook.
      Last edited by Breadhead; June 7, 2015, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Hi Wartface ,

Just beware of the dreaded stall - it may or may not happen. Mine lasted 2hrs 40min. If the roast is done early, it should hold in the Faux for a good hour or so!

I really think that the next time I do one, I might put the cooker @ 250 steady vs. trying to keep it @ 225. I think I could run the Intake @ 1/2 open during the entire cook.

Good luck!

--Ed

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm fully aware of the stall... Following Huskee's suggestion I'm going to wrap it at about 170/180.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis