Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My MCS has transformed to MAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My MCS has transformed to MAS

So, I’m feeling content with the cooking arsenal right now, but now I can’t quit looking at hop ups or accessories. I bought and trimmed up the Joetisserie for the WSCG (Picanha cook and rotisserie Prime Rib coming soon), put a lift kit on the SmokeFire (5 inch dual lock casters), I refresh the SmokeFire front shelf page at Weber at least a couple times a day looking for coming soon to change to order now, ordered a dual lock caster for the WSCG to take out 4 inches of wobble, have a Griidle Hack in shipment for the Woodwind to make pepper steak and smash burgers, have the SmokeFire wet smoke kit on pre-order, and the Fireboard 2 Drive will be here Saturday​​​​​​. I NEED HELP!

This doesn’t include the 11 bottles of hot sauce, Hatch Chilies, and 6 Prime tri-tips I’ve ordered with an already stuffed freezer. I keep justifying it to myself by selling things I’m not really using and telling myself I’m cooking 5-6 days a week and family is eating leftovers most days for lunch, but I can’t seem to stop. I’m still eying custom probe wraps on etsy. The more I cook and learn the more I want. I want to make more and better and different.

Bright side, your MAS is cheaper than someone with More Aircraft Syndrome.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
      Uncle Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      Or boat.................

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Uncle Bob Isn’t there a saying, what are the two greatest days in a boat owners life?

Yep! While I still get tempted by MCS, MAS has been more difficult to resist, because as Jerod Broussard noted it is cheaper, I am always a sucker for an accessory that offers to make it easier, better or a different way to cook. The good news is that if you can resist MCS, MAS reaches a saturation point, and the temptation goes way down, especially when you look at all,the accessories you now have that you rarely use.

Comment

You will know when your MAS Is out of control when your UPS, FedEx and USPS drivers band together to throw you an intervention for it.

Comment

Sounds like you need more meat to practice on.

I can give you my address if you want to send samples!

I get it. I can't stop adding mods to the PBC. I'm almost done tinkering..... I SWEAR!
        ​​​​​

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't talk too much about that PBC, I said I was content with my current cookers or at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself.

• Duckman_OK
          Duckman_OK commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you get the new bottom plate for the PBC installed?

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Then i definitely shouldn't mention that PBCs are on SALE right now. Think of the money you could be saving......

Duckman_OK yeah, I got the bottom plate attached. 3 tubes of JB Weld did the trick. I'll have a post with all the "updates" soon

My want/need center and index finger motor control center are directly connected and in autopilot mode. I just can't help myself.

Comment

I feel your pain!

One piece of advice I have is to be sure you are saving some and not spending it all on cooking gear. Having been through 3 weddings in 20 months, and having two surgeries last year myself, and then having my wife diagnosed with cancer 2 weeks after becoming empty nesters, be sure you have plenty of savings to tide you through things if a crisis were to hit. And if you have daughters.... start saving for not only their college expenses but for the inevitable weddings, and start NOW...

I love to window shop smokers, computers, all sorts of gear, but right now have to be content with window shopping. I think the accessory bug you have now is at least cheaper than the cooker acquisition bug you had!

Maybe once all these new toys come in, the thing to focus on is perfecting your cooks, and expanding your recipe base beyond traditional BBQ.

Jim
          Last edited by jfmorris; July 17, 2020, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Good advice, we do keep a decent savings and max our HSA every year, but do you ever have enough when you get hit as hard as you have been? I feel for you brother. Luckily I only have one daughter and am hopefully at least a decade away from giving her away.

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Great advice! My daughter married quite a few years back (I am older than ya'll for sure!) but even 17 years ago weddings were expensive. My sister, who will ask me anything, during the wedding no less, leaned over and asked me how much it cost me! Probably because both of her daughters were to be married very soon thereafter...........anyway, I was able to whisper back that I had started saving for this when she was only a few months old and that it was all paid for. Planning ahead= cool!
            Last edited by Alabama Smoke; July 17, 2020, 01:50 PM.

I too feel and understand your pain. I bought a used Weber Performer 3-4 weeks ago. I wanted a charcoal grill for certain types of cooks but thought I wouldn’t use it that much and thus the used one. Well now I have an SnS Deluxe, Vortex, a new grate “upgrade”, addition bbq tools, well you get it. AND thanks to you, I am considering a rotisserie kit! 🤣😂🙄

But what the heck? I am retired, kids grown gone and married, financially secure, and of course with the virus isolation thing there’s nothing else to do. So smoke on and keep grilling!! 👍
          Last edited by Jfrosty27; July 17, 2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            The rotisserie is fun, excited to do that Picanha soon. The only downfall is the space rotisseries take up when not on the grill for the kettles and kamados.

• Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!🤦‍♂️

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I got a used Weber Performer Deluxe from a friend a few years ago for $100, including cover, a full set of Grillgrates, and an adapter hose for a 20# propane tank. It's my favorite cooker, and the best buy I've made. I've pimped it out with the original SNS, DNG and EasySpin grate, a PartyQ and a Smoke. One day I plan on a rotisserie for it, just because the rotisserie for my Genesis II stinks. It's a great cooker to pimp out with accessories!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis