Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I keep it or sell it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I keep it or sell it?

So when we bought the house, it came with a side-by-side refrigerator. We hated it for everyday use, so we upgraded to a French-door refrigerator.

I had an idea to keep the old one in the garage for a meaterator. SWMBO suggested selling it. Right now it's listed on various sites, but no serious offers yet.

Which brings me to the post topic: should I keep it or sell it? I have thought about dry aging experiments, along with wet aging briskets.

Keep. It's already paid for. Plug it in and you'll find reasons to use it

Comment

Keep it, garage fridges are great! I wanted to sell our old fridge but moved it to garage, glad o did, extra space and its nice for leaving big hunks of meat to dry brine in

Comment

If your only getting $50 for it throw it in the garage and fill it full of beer, coolers and pop.
        And some meat experiments....
        I know what you mean about the side by sides, we brought one, within a few days I wanted to blow it up....

Comment

Keep it. No question.

Comment

Unless I already had one in the garage I would keep it. We have one in the garage and it comes in handy for taking advantage of sales and limiting trips to the grocery. And p, in these times that is not a bad thing.

Comment

make a dry aging rig out of it.

Comment

Definitely keep it. Just keep drinks, meat, etc. in it to help maintain temperature so it doesn't have to run so much in the hot garage.

Comment

Meatarator! Experiment away! Ha, ha, ha! They’re coming to take you away. He,he,ho,ho.

Comment

No questions. KEEP IT!!!
                    It’s like having extra grill space that you wouldn’t ordinarily need. But when you do it’s invaluable.
                    I now have, in addition to, my kitchen fridge.
                    2 dorm sized fridges in my garage and a stand alone freezer in my shed. And sometimes still could use more space.
                    Damn I hope that doesn’t sound too red necky 😬😳😁
                    Now I’m sure I’ve offended someone. 🙄

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nah, not too Rednecky, Brother LOL!

• HawkerXP
                      HawkerXP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Rednecky would of been "on the front porch"

Personally I say keep it. BUT old fridges are expensive to run and in most areas the power company will pay you to have them take it away. May be worth checking out. Also if your garage or alternate space is 'unconditioned' the fridge won't operate properly if the ambient temp gets below 45. I went with getting rid of the spare full size and picked up a 'dorm' unit as the second fridge.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                      IowaGirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1 on this advice. Older fridges can be electricity hogs.

Also a side by side has narrow shelves, so if you want to slide in a big tray of food, it often won't fit. I'd spring for an inexpensive newer fridge.

Sometimes it can be helpful to talk to your appliance guy and ask him to keep an eye out for a good newer fridge that someone is replacing to keep up with Joneses. Or just buy a new one that really fits your needs.

Me, I'd be keepin it, fer now, unless ya gotta good line on one that ain't sided by side....

Hail, reckon it'd be worth it's weight jus at Thanksgivin time, when there's never enough fridge, or oven space....

Comment

If you don't already have a garage fridge/freezer keep it! You'll wonder how you ever lived with out it.

If you DO already have a garage freezer/fridge - KEEP IT! now you've got 2 garage fridges

Comment

Keep it. I have wine, beer, mixers, defrosting meats overflow veggies as well as beet greens awaiting process time. I would really miss my side by side in the garage.

Comment

I don’t know what I’d do without the garage fridge! And the garage freezer! Keep it! That’s where all the thawing meat goes, the dry brining meat goes, my dry aging experiments go (others said turn into a dry age machine) I just use Umai bags for this so I still have the functioning fridge.

or - turn that sucker in to a kegerator!!!!!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0F304DA8-737F-4840-92DA-475B9DC5DD5B.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	881848

Last edited by barelfly; July 17, 2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
                            smokin fool commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Dude, I like the way you think!

• hoovarmin
                            hoovarmin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, in every way to this. But I thought it was Martin Luther who said that about beer? No matter, whoever said it, it's true. I gave an old fridge of mine to a buddy who turned it into a kegorator and I regretted letting it go

• klflowers
                            klflowers commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Bear slobber? Me want

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis