Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't look Meathead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't look Meathead

I guess the terrorists have won.

https://www.yahoo.com/food/brine-boi...535749810.html

I don't know what to say... "pork ribs are boiled in a heavily seasoned bring" ???

--Ed

Comment

I watched this while at work. Here is the video surveillance footage.

Comment

Meathead>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Martha Stewart

Comment

Not just Meathead, nobody should watch this. The garlic brine is all the flavor you need, you don't even need sauce. If a friend served this to me they wouldn't be a friend anymore.

It is on Martha Stewart's site, might have picked up the recipe from the same guy that makes up the toilet wine.

Comment

So much is wrong with that, but the very first thing he says is "Grilling ribs is typically an all day affair". Since when ?!?!?

Not that anyone would "grill" ribs anyway, but we all know it takes about 4 hours tops. Something tells me he doesn't see a backyard smoker very often

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I caught that too.

Originally posted by PenskeFile View Post
            we all know it takes about 4 hours tops. Something tells me he doesn't see a backyard smoker very often
            I smoked ribs yesterday that took 10. Granted, they probably would've been fine at 9. But 4 tops isn't always true in every circumstance. I consider 9-10 hrs pretty much all day.

Comment

Did anyone watch the video? Did anyone else catch the part where he says: "I'm using spare ribs, but of course you can use St. Louis style as well." while he's cutting up St. Louis style ribs?

Originally posted by PenskeFile View Post
              Not that anyone would "grill" ribs anyway, but we all know it takes about 4 hours tops. Something tells me he doesn't see a backyard smoker very often
              Welllll.....

Back in the day when the fire was as hot as it was, whatever it was, and there wasn't much you could do about it, flare-ups were controlled with whatever beer you were drinking, and done meat was anything that had no color, we did grill ribs, and we boiled them first. Seems like the TV news had a warning every other night about cooking your meat thoroughly, and moms of the 50's through the 70's were scared to death they'd poison their families. Turkey wasn't safe unless it was cooked to the point of dust.

I can even remember that people would boil chicken before grilling. Got into a major brawl one time with my wife's aunt, who insisted that without boiling, my grilled chicken wouldn't be safe to eat. Fine, don't eat it.

As for taste, well, doing things the old way meant boiling in water loaded with salt, pepper, a couple of quartered onions, maybe some garlic. Then you'd grill them until they looked like they would taste good, and then you'd slather them with a couple of coats of Open Pit and serve. Everyone loved them because all they could taste was the sauce. This is pretty much how chain restaurants get away with lame baby back ribs. Man, that's some good sauce!

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                I remember my parents' first gas grill, which was either flaming like a tire fire or off. My mom would boil chicken and then grill it for the grill marks, and top it with Open Pit sauce. But it was better than burning it on the grill.

Well, I try never to say never because I've ended up with egg on my face sometimes, but I honestly don't think I'd ever want to eat "BBQ" ribs so badly that I'd have to shoehorn the cook into one hour. Part of the joy of savoring great ribs is the smoking process itself, knowing that building the flavors that way will pay off with a tasty finale.

Someone should feed that guy (and Martha) some Last Meal Ribs. They'd take that video down in a heartbeat, I'd venture to guess! No comparison.

America's Test Kitchen (Cooks Illustrated site) also has a "weeknight rib" recipe that involves boiling the ribs. I watched the program on PBS and kept saying to myself, "I'd rather wait for the weekend and fire up my PBC."

Kathryn

Comment

I can't say those ribs looked appealing, even in the slightest.

Comment

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I almost got sick when I saw them boiling in a Pot!

Like watching a terrible car accident about to happen and you are helpless to stop it!!! Oh the Horror!!

Comment

I don't watch horror videos much, but that is easily the most disturbing one I've ever seen. Just criminal. This Martha Stewart person should be in prison.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, she is an ex-felon, isn't she? Lol.

I inspired my dad to start cooking ribs. They bake them in the oven for 3 hrs, covered in sauce, then sizzle the sauce on the grill. I encouraged him to setup his gas grill for 2 zones and smoke them low & slow, or get a charcoal grill, with a Slow 'N Sear (showed him mine). "NOPE!" He says. "I did charcoal for years and I'm aint goin back to that mess. I like turning a knob, I don't wanna wait 3 hrs for charcoal to be ready. Nah."

I didn't want to be the know it all son, so I just said "well restaurants have been doing that for decades, it makes some tasty ribs sure. But you can make better, it's not that hard, I'll show you."

"Nope" he says, "I'll just eat your ribs at your house".

Deal, I said.

[Lol]... Sigh....one step at a time I guess. At least he doesn't boil them.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Steve Vojtek A buddy of mine prefers his steaks medium-well, and he wraps his ribs with sauce for hours until the bones pull out. The troubling thing is when you can't get someone you know to even try it the other way (medium rare steak, non foiled, tender but tuggable ribs with a seasoned bark) Ughhh.... Eat with your mouths, not your eyes people!

• Steve Vojtek
                    Steve Vojtek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree .. that's where the taste buds are ..

• Medusa
                    Medusa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    For most of my life, steak was well done. Thank you for showing me the way to rare / medium rare.

--Ed

I LOL'd when I read the comments.

Comment

Smart Dad! He gets great ribs and you get some practice! :-) My wife does that to me regularly...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis