Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Metric or Imperial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: Metric or Imperial?

So this is something that I think will be fun. Does your country of residence use the Metric system or the Imperial system....and...do you like what your country uses, or do you think it should switch to the other? The system of measurement we're each used to is like a language- it would be hard to switch, but you'd eventually get used to it...or woudl you?

Let's have some fun.
    We use Imperial and I prefer it
    11.39%
    We use Metric and I prefer it
    8.86%
    We use Imperial, but Metric makes more sense and we should switch
    41.77%
    We use Metric, but Imperial makes more sense and we should switch
    0%
    We use Imperial and I don't really care if we keep it or switch
    12.66%
    We use Metric and I don't really care if we keep it or switch
    1.27%
    We use Imperial and there's zero chance I'd ever want to switch
    11.39%
    We use Metric and there's zero chance I'd ever want to switch
    2.53%
    Who cares, bored with polls, where's the beer & whiskey?
    10.13%

I use both: SAE (Imperial) for my vintage restorations, Metric for my job (doctor). I also prefer the 24 clock vs. 12 hour clock for time keeping. Can we vote twice? I was thirsty when I voted.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb That is part of the fun

• andy.wpg
      andy.wpg commented
      Editing a comment
      With you on all points. Canada here, we use metric, but lumber is still SAE. AM/PM clocks should be banned.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      24 hour for sure!

Cool poll.. time to set the standard.. or?
    Last edited by Elton's BBQ; July 8, 2020, 03:37 PM. Reason: Autocorrect fubsr

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      58limited I'm in the 'pick one and leave it alone' camp. Changing time twice a year as if that does anything, to me, is childish and pointless.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I jokingly say that we should meet in the middle by 30 minutes and then leave it alone. That way everyone on both sides of the argument sort of get what they want.

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      Then we would all be Newfoundland.

I'm a structural engineer, so I deal with pounds, inches/feet, cubic yards, etc. day in and day out. When I was in school all the textbooks had half the problems in imperial, half in metric. While the scale factors based on 1000 might be nice, all the unit conversions are a mess. In addition, while pounds and kilos may both be intuitive depending on where you grow up (a Newton not so much), a foot is an easy approximate measurement that is easily subdivided for smaller measurements.

Go ahead and tell me why I'm wrong, but you're not going to convince me

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      what about stone, or span, or hands?

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget chains and rods.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget Rod Stewart

We should switch to metric time 🤔

Comment

I know that metric is "easier to use", and "easier to convert units" and "makes more sense"; but where's the fun in that?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200708-165107_Chrome.jpg Views:	0 Size:	548.4 KB ID:	877384
    Last edited by BFlynn; July 8, 2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm pretty sure NASA uses (or used) metric to blaze trails.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe there is a smoking hole in Mars that has to do with this.

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, someone didn't convert the units right. OOPSIE!

Canada uses metric, but I am old enough to remember imperial and still use it sometimes, especially in cooking.

Comment

• andy.wpg
      andy.wpg commented
      Editing a comment
      I was in grade six when we switched. So I wasn’t so set in my ways that I couldn’t learn metric. I prefer it now. Pretty much all my cooking is imperial. Except weighing is SO much more accurate in grams.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I was older when they brought in metric, so I'm in the imptric crowd....I don't get either.
      Got to be a real chore when I worked for the airlines all weights were done in kilos then had to be converted to pounds because the weight and balance moments were in pounds.
      Thank goodness for metric calculators.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose weighing in grams might seem more accurate from a human perception point of view, but if you're using a particular scale to weigh, the inherent accuracy of that scale doesn't change if you switch the display from grams to ounces or vice versa.

We can be like Canada...I will drive 5 KM to the store, but I weigh 190 lbs and I am 5'-8" tall. I'll put 30 liters of gas in my tank but I'll drink gallons of beer. It's 27° outside in but I preheat my oven to 350°....I was visiting friends in Toronto before all of this C-19 stuff. My friend is a Carpenter there. He showed me blueprints, some in Metric, some in Imperial and some with both. That would freak me out to see both on a working drawing.

Comment

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      How it was explained to me is that the Old timers, (like me) mix and match both systems. The younger kids use only Metric. Makes sense I guess.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea but what I wanna know is can you say all that in French ????

• troymeister
      troymeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Oui oui Messieur.

Metric is based on the speed of light. How far light travels in x-amount of time, converted to minute fractions. It is a set universal (literally) standard. To me that makes the ultimate sense. However, saying "boy it's hot out, it's 32 degrees [C]" instead of "90 [F]" would take some getting used to. Speed in a car too- km and mph are so different they just don't mean the same thing.

Comment

• TheQuietOne
      TheQuietOne commented
      Editing a comment
      The meter was originally 1/10,000,000 the distance between the north pole and the equator (they got the distance slightly wrong it's 9,944,350 m). The official meter was an iron-nickel alloy bar at first then a platunum-iridium bar until 1960. Then 1650763.73 wavelengths in a vacuum of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the 2p10 and 5d5 quantum levels of the krypton-86 atom. Now it's the distance light travels in 1/299,792,458 of a second.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm extremely dumber after having read that

• andy.wpg
      andy.wpg commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman. You’re not dumber, you FEEL dumber just like the rest of us. Welcome to the club!

Much rather 24 hour clock with Zulu attached at times. Conversions are soooo much freaking easier with metric.

Comment

Switching would be hard for an adult, it would be like learning a new language. Even if you mastered it, you would still think in the language of your youth. I remember when I was in middle school the teacher told us we were going to have to learn metric because the whole world was going that way. Canada succumbed, but Americans are too stubborn! If I recall, teaching metric lasted a year.

Now that I live near the border and spend considerable (well, used to....) time in Canada, I have gotten pretty good at using metric. To me it makes more sense, but hey, it's America, we don't have to make sense! ;-)

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Now, what I want to know is can you say that in French?

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes extremely hard for this adult
        In French...il fait wa de phuque

I bake with metric, but use imperial for everything else. Metric makes more sense, but I'm too old to change now...

Comment

I use Imperial but I know metric is much easier to use. I wish the USA would have switched over in the 70s so I would have learned metric in school.

This dog is too old (which means stubborn) to learn new tricks.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          WOOF!

I'm an electronics engineer in the U.S.
        If I'm at work, and there is a question about an equipment temperature of xx degrees C, I can respond immediately. But if someone tells me the weather tomorrow will reach 30 degrees C, my mind goes blank.🤣
        Last edited by SmokingPat; July 8, 2020, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Preach!

Grew up with, prefer Imperial.
        Have had to work with Metric many times, in my 'travels' overseas.
        Purty dang good at doin dimensional, weight, volume conversion, but whoever come up with th temp conversion formula shoulda been tarred, feathered, drawn, quartered, an more
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 9, 2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Temp conversion is the only darn thing I know. I prefer recipes in metric.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis