Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Arborists in AR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Arborists in AR?

This is a long shot but I figure we just about all use wood to cook so somebody might know things about actual trees.

I have a young honeycrisp apple tree in my yard and it’s got a black rot or fireblight problem and I’m trying to figure out how to save it if it’s in trouble.
    I contacted the UMN extension office and they redirected me to their not super helpful articles.
    Would love any advice, thanks!

Pictures?

Comment

It's all on the trunk. The branches all seem to be clean and the little apples that just started forming don't have any outward signs of disease.
      Attached Files

Comment

ComfortablyNumb has some experience I believe.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          I am afraid you believe wrong, my friend. True, I do own an apple orchard, however other than watering I have nothing to do with the care of it and have not observed it in my orchard. I don't think it is fire blight, that starts at the tips and works its way back. I checked black rot, not sure that is it either. Found this page: https://ask.extension.org/questions/279454 Not much help, but the advice to have it diagnosed I believe is sound. You need to know what it is before you can treat.

au4stree ?

Comment

Learn sumthin everday. I thought all they had in Arizonie was tumblin tumble weeds and sage brush. Apple trees huh? To beat.

Comment

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan I gave this post a truly terrible title. It was supposed to be any arborists on amazing ribs. I shortened that to AR which is the state abbreviation of Arkansas and this is technically the pit master club. I’m in Minnesota. Rough

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, that’s worth a good laugh fer boaf of us! 🙃

Well, I am a certified arborist and Registered Forester, but this isn’t exactly my area of expertise(fruit tree management). It does appear to be a form of black rot which is treatable with micro injections, ie a steroid shot of sorts for trees. I see you’re in MN, perhaps give Mauget a quick google to find vendors in your area that could treat the tree. There are options, a fungicide and/or a super vitamin for the tree. It will require regular watering.

I never recommend tree dressings, ie wraps or paint, they don’t help. Trees seal, they don’t “heal”, think of compartmentalization. Trees basically “wall” off with a callus-like material to keep rot and other nasties from setting in. If you’ve ever observed a properly pruned limb, that is essentially a wound, but eventually the tree “bark” will grow over it sealing the wound from the outside. It’s not perfect, but it is what it is.

Im disappointed to hear your extension service didn’t offer much help, that’s their charter, they should have contacts and/or know local problems and how to treat them.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis