Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heresy Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heresy Redux

Mayo or Miracle Whip?

Now, I'm a MW guy all the way, though some things like Thousand Island do require real mayo, but for a sandwich, nothing beats MW IMHO. One of the glories of Thanksgiving is a sandwich composed of nothing but MW and (crosswise) sliced turkey breast, accompanied by some sweet gherkins. Y'all?
    Last edited by Willy; June 4, 2015, 12:14 PM. Reason: Deleted my mistake of giving Hollandaise as an example of something using mayo.

I grew up MW and Kraft sliced cheese. After being married and eating real mayo and actual cheese, I can't stand the old stuff.

Comment

I'm with you, Willy except I like kosher dill pickles instead.

Kathryn

Comment

The world would be a better place without either of them. IMHO

Comment

Made with Wonder Bread? yuck

Kraft sliced cheese is better than Velveeta. Kind of like one broken leg is better than two.

Comment

A sandwich to me when I was a kid included Kraft sliced cheese and Miracle Whip, always. I knew no different since that's what my parents liked and always had. Even when my mom made tacos, she sliced up kraft sliced cheese into thin ribbons. We loved it. Nowadays I still use Kraft sliced cheese, but it's only on diner burgers, to me it still tastes good there. Sandwiches get real sliced cheese, and real mayo. I have never once purchased MW.

Comment

Interesting TidBit of the Day: I have a Tex-Mex cookbook and they say that Kraft sliced cheese and Velveeta are often used ingredients in Tex-Mex cooking.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                I THINK velveeta is the cheese used in the Philadelphia cheesesteaks.

• Frankenstein
                Frankenstein commented
                Editing a comment
                True cheesesteaks get provolone. Over the last 20 or so years the street vendors morphed it into cheese-wiz spread on the roll. I prefer the provolone.

I'd also add that Velveeta gets a bad rap because its viewed along side actual cheese. Look up a recipe for homemade Velveeta. It's cheese sauce, cooled and congealed. From the perspective of it being a cheese sauce, its actually fairly high quality.

Not a fan of mayo at all. Not sure why

Comment

Cheez Whiz is the kind used in some Philly cheesesteaks. Velveeta plus Rotel plus browned chorizo or even plain sausage makes a cheese dip that is darned hard to beat. Wonder Bread sucks. I tend to agree with Huskee that Kraft slices are OK on a cheeseburger, but I like cheeses purchased from the deli for most sandwiches.

fzxdoc--Right on! Dill is OK, too, but for turkey I usually pick sweets.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hope I'm not showing my ignorance here, but what are sun dill pickles, Powersmoke_80?

• Powersmoke_80
                  Powersmoke_80 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  richinlbrg Sun pickles are a naturally fermented pickle. when pickling cucumbers are in season I have a recipe that I use garlic dill onion slices, Hungarian wax peppers, grape leaves and alum , with a Little pickling spice. added in layers to a gallon jar of pickling cucumbers and filled with a brine mix of water, vinegar and salt then set in the sun for three days to ferment. Then refrigerate and will last for months to a year in the fridge and are better than store bought like a deli pickle. I make 4-5 gallons and I am on my last gallon from last summer. The guys at the shop think there awsome and asked for the recipe.

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, Powersmoke_80 - never heard of them before!

Just give me a grilled pepper jack sandwich and a dill pickle... maybe two

Comment

When we were dating, Mrs Mosca expressed her disgust for Miracle Whip. It was just one more reason to fall in love with her.

Comment

Mosca--I'm gonna steal that line from you for sure! I can see uses all over the place!

Comment

When I was a kid granny always had Spin Blend for her sandwiches. I haven't seen it in a store around here in over 25+ years so I don't know if it is still on the market, then again, I have never looked for it. Being a kid I didn't care much for it since mom always had MW at home.

Comment

For me a good sandwich is a homemade Ciabatta bun covered with real mayo, heaped with smoked thinly sliced roast beef, 2 slices of Tillimook extra shape cheddar cheese and lots of cold crisp lettuce. Mmmm

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis