Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Itch You Just Can't Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Itch You Just Can't Scratch

Still very new to smoking, and the Traeger is still super shiny, and I have absolutely no reason to smoke a large piece of meat this weekend, but I want to, I may even need to......

Does this hankering ever subside?! What's your go to item when you're just smoking for the sake of it? What's always in the freezer ready to go?

Is it normal to start considering a second fridge/freezer in the garage just for meat?!?!

This longing within you is a sign of greatness. Embrace it, buy that second fridge/freezer, and several more cookers as well. And post pictures of all of it. And upload an avatar for your profile so that it doesn't look like you are in the witness protection program.

Comment

Having a freezer in the garage can be a blessing and a curse. It's great to know that I have enough provisions to get me through hurricane season but all to often I can't buy things I'd like because I don't have the room to put it.

Smoking just for the sake of it usually means a chuck roast or pork butt. Leftovers are vacuum packed and stuffed into aforementioned freezer or taken to work and shared with coworkers.

Comment

What hoovarmin said.

If I'm gonna grill/smoke just for the sake of it, I usually go for flap meat or a nice tri tip. Both take 1-1.5 hours to cook, no more. That suits me just fine, it doesn't become an all-day thing, and I get to play with fire, and drink a glass of red wine

Comment

You are fine... at least most most Pit Members will tell you that...because we feel the same way! Welcome and have fun with your hobby! More freezers and Cookers are the norm around here.

Comment

Seize the possibility! “Carpe Diem!”

Comment

My easy-peasy go-to is usually a pork butt. Almost impossible to screw it up.

<edit> I like to try different things, kind of expand my horizons. Often looking for new items to try. The Wife would be perfectly happy if I stuck to pork butts and ribs. Nothing else. Ever. Just those.

I do love my pork, but I get tired of those and want to do something different. Did some beef ribs lately, if you can find 3-4 rib slabs of dino ribs, they can be fun to experiment with!
              Last edited by tRidiot; July 3, 2020, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Yes - normal. If you find yourself succumbing to the desire to cook too much meat often, a vacuum sealer would be of great help.

Comment

Those cuts that are 1-1.5 hours are great! Henrik mentioned tri tip, those are great. I also like skirt steak, or flank as well for tacos of some sort. Making a board sauce and slicing up the meat and serving with the sauce. This is probably one of my go to meals.

You also got some great advice on the vacuum sealer. I love going to Costco and buying meat and sealing separately. Especially a rib primal and steaking it out, so I can have steak whenever I want.

Enjoy! Looking forward to seeing some of your cooks!

Comment

Oh you poor boy, you’ve caught the bug. Dreaming about, planning, analytics, any excuse to go to the store in pursuit of that next great cook are all signs of malady.

Next up for you is the addiction known as MCS. Hang in there, just keep the beer cold !!

Comment

All of that is completely "normal" for us. But if you think it's bad now, just wait until your eyes wander to a variety of different grills and smokers.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        LOL True Dat, be pickin up another cooker today, things go as planned...

Just lean in to it! You're not any crazier than the rest of us. Smoke half a pork butt (3-4 lbs) or a chuck roast if you have the itch to smoke a hunk of meat that takes a long time. They're both delicious..... actually, you should smoke both at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by NPJ77 View Post
                        Still very new to smoking, and the Traeger is still super shiny, and I have absolutely no reason to smoke a large piece of meat this weekend, but I want to, I may even need to......

Does this hankering ever subside?! NO

What's your go to item when you're just smoking for the sake of it? Can't decide, usually grab something on impulse but pork butt is always a winner

What's always in the freezer ready to go? Too much to list

Is it normal to start considering a second fridge/freezer in the garage just for meat?!?! YES
                        Last edited by 58limited; July 3, 2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What He said...^^^
                          I will not elaborate at this particular juncture, due to rigid time constraints...

If any of you are wondering what that noise is, it’s my wife rolling her eyes as I read the responses.

pork butt and tri tip are on the list!

bought a couple of racks of baby back just to keep me ticking over!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          IMO Mr. Bones Rules clearly sez:

Wantin to smoke a big ol honkin hunka meat, at any given time, is a sign of normalcy / good mental health.

Gotsta have a meat freezer, fer when pork butts go on sale fer ¢99/lb., etc.

When I smoke fer th sake of jus smokin, be pork butts, ribs, chuckies, in that order

Th Hankerin never subsides, in fact it will increase, exponentially, as ya travel down this Path...

Oh, they's Plenty other Rules, but these adequately cover yer present questions....

I thought a freezer in the garage was mandatory for entry into the Pitmaster Club! Well you are in now so get that garage properly outfitted!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        Rubs Promo
                        Meat-Up in Memphis