Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Toy Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Toy Arrived

Well, it is here. Came today. Seems the US Postal Service IS run by G-d, for I always heard that G-d would be needed to move a postman on a Sunday! Turns out, Amazon is G-d!!

Oil was spilled, potatoes fell, one by one to my mandolin Blade. all in preparation to become the BEST, Freshest home made potato chips on which I m munching as I type. More will follow. It is a tiny little deep fryer but, for just we two, it will do a lovely job.

I have always wanted to try fried Squash Blossoms. now I can. and my green tomatoes can be deep fried instead of pan fried hush puppies, onion rings, all the wonderful things I can deep fry! Just a tiny little until. the foot print on the counter is smaller than my kitchen aid. and, when not in use, it all folds into its self very neatly and goes back to the box. neat and clean. I may even consider an experiment and see if I can use the element in my dutch oven for speedy oil recovery, this giving myself the ability to do s,all or large batch cooking.

Either way, we two have another new and quite yummy want to handle left overs and snacks and even some carnival food. FUN FUN! I'll be posting pictures as they go!

Have a good Monday (if such a think exists!) and we'll find something on which we can brainstorm,

You gotta do deep-fried ice cream, butter, twinkies and oreo cookies followed by funnel cakes.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      mmmmm, I LOVE Fried Ice Cream at the Mexican restaurant. I was telling HWMO last night that I wanted to try fried butter (I LOVE the taste of Browned Butter) and Deep Fried Twinkies! Imagine the various home made yummy cakes & such, deep fried! and that isn't even mentioning Fried pies (which I ADORE!) and I just heard from the editor of fine cooking that August will be Fried Chicken!! It's a good day!

I had a UPS driver tell me that he received an Amazon package on SUNDAY via USPS Smart Post! WOW!

Have fun, but be careful not to mandolin you finger(s)!

--Ed

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      there is a rule in our house. One is not permitted to TOUCH the deli slicer or the mandolin slicer without the cut protecting gloves. that means putting or taking out of the dishwasher, taking them down from their storage spot. period. of course, we are supposed to be the grown ups, but, we enforce our own rules. I just don't think it is worth the risk. plus, it would absolutely RUING the potato chips!!

It's kind of like always wearing safety glasses. after years of chemistry and nuc power and soapmaking (ask me about Naked Soap, sometime) I am firmly in the camp of, I only have two eyes and ten fingers. it isn't worth the 'convenience' to risk them.

MMMMMMMM, I have been looking forward to home made corn dogs since I ordered this little fryer. of course, that left me with left over batter. what to do, what to do? Dump some sugar in it and fry it up!!!

What occurred to me as I dipped it out (it was too liquid to hold together) was it looked like graham cracker crumbs.

(Light bulb!!)

Sweetened Corn bread batter, drizzled into the hot oil, allowed to cook up crumbly, make a pie crust, bake a Buttermilk Pie!!!

Comment

Anyone do pie contests want to try this at a fair? I really think this would be KILLER! I'm eating this crunchy stuff and it is SO good!

Comment

What was it that came today? It doesn't say anywhere.

Comment

I think that Karon is referring to a new "little fryer" that just arrived at her doorstep. And I must say that the intro to this thread was quite poetic! I almost forgot that this is a foody and cooks' website! Very nice, Karon...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis