Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide taking the plunge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mgaretz
    commented on 's reply
    You have to respect the min/max water levels for any circulator. 100 gallons would be way too big. You'd use a lot of water to get up to the min fill level and then it would have significant lag to heat and adjust the temp.

Most people end up with a plastic cambro container as it's about the right height to volume ratio.

• Karon Adams
    commented on 's reply
    OK, but, if I buy it, you guys have to promise not to tell them it is for me and not HWMO.

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Holy cow, when did the stork drop off the second?

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    And that is why we are soooo proud!!!

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    It's $139 until 06/21. Promo code LUVDAD.
    I love Anova coz you can use it in almost any container.
    I use mine in a huge cooler.
    It has adjustable clip so you can use it in a small saucepan as well.
    Last edited by Ernest; June 1, 2015, 12:52 PM.

• Ernest
    replied
    Anova is running a discount at the moment use LUVDAD at checkout for $50 off. It's THE best circulator on the market.
    Yes I have two of them.

Leave a comment:

• Karon Adams
    commented on 's reply
    I have QUITE the selection of large Stainless Steel pots. Our home goes from stove top cooking all the way to near industrial beer making. HWMO owns a three station Angle iron Beer Tower. this includes 5, 10 & 15 gallon stainless steel pots. below that are the smaller stainless pots that are purchased for kitchen use. of course, all are interchangeable with one another as needed. there was a time when I had a 100 gallon Stainless Steel tank with an immersion heated water cone. Imagine what you could sous Vide cook in THAT!

The 100 gallon tank was purchased from a beekeeping company and I used it for soapmaking. I sold my soap making business several years ago, it was recently resold. I don't know if the new owner is using the tank. I may contact her and see. if she isn't, I may consider buying it back from her.

is the Anova or any of the others, useable on other containers? can you move it from, say, the 5 gallon pot and move it to the 10 gallon pot? or will I need to buy a dedicated tank, customize it for this use and have no other use for the tank?

• Karon Adams
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not even going to tell you it was accidental. I COMPLETELY meant to do that!!

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Here's a good source - http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/n...he-market.html

Leave a comment:

• mgaretz
    replied
    I have the Sous Vide Supreme and I like it because it is all self contained and no circulator noise. When I bought it, circulators where much more expensive, but now you can get them for less than the SVS. Even so, I still prefer the SVS. Some will say that circulators take up less space - only sorta true as you still need a big vessel to hold the water, then you're custom cutting the top to fit the circulator. The SVS comes with a nice rack that can be used in a variety of ways to hold pouches submerged and/or separated. Plus it's insulated.

You asked about prices. The SVS goes for around $300. For a circulator the Anova is popular and sells for around $200, but to that you'll need to add a vessel and rack which will bring you back up in SVS range.
    Last edited by mgaretz; May 31, 2015, 09:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Me too!!!

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    I got nothin but LOVE the pun!

Click image for larger version

Name:	desismileys_3191.gif
Views:	8
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	87049

Leave a comment:

• Karon Adams
    started a topic Sous Vide taking the plunge

Sous Vide taking the plunge

OK, folks, I am just about ready, just about willing and very much interested in taking the plunge. So, for a beginner and for just we two, what would the experienced folks recommend? what would you guys recommend as a good circulator/heater? I don't really want to buy a professional catering/restaurant rig but I also don't want a 'starter' product that is more trouble than it is worth. so, rather than buy something willy nilly and hope it works well, I thought I'd beg the information from my learned friends and see if I might draw upon you knowledge and experience to make my decision. so, what kind of price point for a good decent starter piece of equipment?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis