Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MacGyver Level 1 Unlocked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacGyver Level 1 Unlocked!

We pump water out of the lake to water the lawns and the plants and our current pump has died (ok, I killed it but really, isn't that splitting hairs?) so I've bought a replacement. The problem here is that the input and output pipes are 1 1/2" OD while the new pressure tank outlet is 3/4". At least up here in small town Ontario, there is no such thing as a 3/4" to 1 1/2" adaptor/connector so, what's a man to do, especially one who is known for being "anti-handy"? Improvise! I know this isn't much for those of you who are handy, but for me this is a big deal and only involved 2 trips to the hardware store and better yet, no trips to Emerg!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_062255.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	869774
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_062302.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	869775

Nicely done. I'm not handy either, but I try, and it's a great feeling to solve a problem on your own.

Comment

I don't know?

I do not see a pocket comb, chewing gum or bowling trophy, so technically it can't be MacGyvered.

LOL

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I see a torch! That's got to be close.

If it works - ya done good.

Comment

Well not much help now but there is/was a pump store in Wasaga Beach that would have had the correct fittings.
        I damn near wore the hinges of his door years ago when we had a place up on Woodland Beach.
        This was several years ago so don't even know if he's still there but he had literally everything for pumps.
        For the life of me can't remember the name of the place.

PUMP SHOP on Main St at River Rd....mind like a steel trap just needed WD-40 for the rust
        Last edited by smokin fool; June 26, 2020, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          They certainly know me in our local Home Hardware. After my second trip, as I was walking away from the cash, the cashier said, "See you again shortly" with a knowing smile. Nice that in this particular case she was wrong. :-)

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Home hardware is great, our local one, one trip they have what you want bang, zoom....gone, fixed....
          AND its run by a woman and her daughters and they actually know the right answer to damn near everything, they are truely amazing.
          Home Depot walk around the store for an hour, get no help buy the wrong thing....repeat process....

It needs more hose clamps.

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife has complained that they aren't properly aligned. :-)

Next major "news" article in your neck of the woods......……….."Major hose clamp shortage! Another unexpected consequence of Covid 19?"

Comment

did you do it in 60 seconds before the pump timer turned on and would have flooded the house?

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            Funny you should mention that as I once tested a pond pump in the kitchen sink. It did not end well.

I don't see any duct tape or bailing wire.

I'm so confused

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, yeah.
            Need a little Red Green input to this problem

Ingenuity is the Mother of Invention !!

Comment

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            Frank Zappa and the Mother's of Invention!

Well, if it works, it works. End of story. Good job! I like all those shiny clamps :-)

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            That remains to be seen. While I've now got it all hooked up to the lines, I'm waiting on my helper so I can get it primed and running. Fingers crossed. :-)

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            helper, watch the connection while I go turn it on.......heh heh heh.....

I am deeply impressed! It looks like clamp heaven! What’s next?

Comment

It looks like the flux capacitor is installed backwards.

Comment

You missed a clamp on the tee fitting....that or you used up every available one in the Province. ;-)

So, if you don't mind me asking, what's with the short piece of tubing on the pump inlet? Seems to me you could save one coupling, four clamps, and two potential leak points if you just clamp directly to the pump.

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                The store doesn't stock a 1" male threaded to /1 1/2" female coupling so I need to go 1" male/1 1/4" female to 1 1/4" pipe then 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" coupler to the 1 1/2" pipe. Should have seen me in the hardware store trying to figure this all out in my head. I really would have better to draw it all out on paper before I left. :-)

Good news and bad news. The good news is that we now have water being pumped from the lake for lawns and gardens, yay me! The bad news is that all of my improvisation was for naught. As I was standing in the lake with a hose connected to our well system to fill up the intake line and to prime the pump, it dawned on me that the new pump I bought does not have a pressure switch so connecting the pump to the pressure tank I already had was an exercise in futility. I did recover by connecting the flex hose in the picture to the last adapter before the line that goes to the outdoor taps. Oh well, my lovely wife has been plugging and unplugging the old pump for years, so no change there. :-)

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                You could get the proper fittings, pipe, and a pressure switch. But if you do, you have to keep enough sprinklers running to keep the pump from cycling, which is the number one killer of pumps. Unless you add a cycle stop valve, which I have on my domestic well. I don't use that one for irrigating, but it keeps the pump from cycling when showering, doing laundry, etc. But even if you don't bother, at least plug the pump into a switched outlet so that your lovely wife only has to flip a switch.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis