Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While you were sleeping....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While you were sleeping....

So, yesterday, brined my shoulder. last night, we set up the firebasket with an old cooling rack bent in half leaving about a 1 1/2" open space. this went in the basket to make a minion set up. One of my problems with the overnight cook has been the atmosphere changes in the night as well as properly setting the coals for minion cooking. HWMO didn't quite 'get' the concept. So, frustration, dirty looks and some semblance of teamwork and I think we hit on the final combo that has solved our problems.

the bent over cooling rack gives us a start/stop point. then, we have extended the amount of charcoal available by putting more pieces of cooling rack/old grate pieces at the top of the fire basket leaning against the wall of the smoker. this creates a slant that allows the charcoal to slide into the fire as charcoal under cooks away.

Put the meat on last night and it will be coming off this afternoon, right about noon, actually. My smoke is about 15 hours. I like it like that!! We have finally been able to get everything controlled the way I want it.

Before, in the middle of the night, the temp was spiking. took some tracking but, having full access to all the charcoal, it all lit off and burned in the night. I went back over the drum last night, made sure everything was well sealed off. HWMO has not been as diligent as he should be. we won't mention that to him...

So, starting to the side and being able to minion the whole thing and we could hold the tem even all night and my Q is coming off in about 20 minutes (3 degrees from now)

Nighttime humidity, lower temps, and the stall, have all the "fun" on those cooks.

Hence the reason I got me an Auber fan system, to go along with my Maverick probes.

Comment

I love overnight cooks - that's why I bought the CyberQ WiFi. Put these two piggies on the Kamado Joe last night... checked them early this morning (rolled over in bed and grabbed my phone to check them) the first one was done at around 2:00 this afternoon, the bigger one is just about to come off. Smaller one is for the family, larger one is going to work tomorrow.

Comment

NICE!! I usually wake at about 2-3 in the morning. I don't have the phone access. I own a cell phone but it is never on. I don't even know the number! I rarely go anywhere so I never need minutes. I mostly have one to use as a good ipod for music and, on occasion, should I decide to travel, then I buy minutes for the phone! my current phone doesn't even HAVE a sim card (I need to buy one should I ever decide to go anywhere.) but, I have my Maverick wireless and it sits on the chairside tray in the living room. that way, no matter which of us wakes or when, we can either one of us take a peak. Keeping it in the living room also means I'm not waking every time the signal cuts out for a second.

I LOVE my Pitmaster IQ blower! It has taken some doing but I have finally managed to explain to HWMO that I want to starve my fire as much as possible, then, in the manner of a very meany pants, dictate the tiny gulps of oxygen it can have to JUST keep it at the temp I want. It woks so perfectly when I can seal everything off. Control, control. yep, I am a control freak when I cook. sue me.

I saw the IQ somewhere while doing some BBQ research before I found this group. While reading on it, I noticed they had a link to an Alton brown Video. So, I watched that, too. I'm a BIG fan of Alton Brown. He makes so much sense. there is history and art in cooking, but the art is never possible without the basic foundation of the science. the recognition of the science and the clear, articulate explanation of the science and the entertaining manner make cooking accessible for those who might shy away. That's why I like his stuff. plus, the fun sticks in your head so you are likely to remember.

But, he made a good case and an excellent demonstration of the concept. between those I was sold. My blower will always be a part of my outdoor cooking. makes a huge difference.

That is one of the things I SO love about cooking. everything old is new again and it is always wonderful!

Comment

I'm a complete gadget freak. Everything is better with BlueTooth! Being in IT, my phone is pretty much an extension of my body.
          I'm also a huge Alton Brown fan, which probably makes sense. Tina and I had the pleasure of meeting him during his first "tour". He was very witty and incredibly friendly. As a bonus, one of his "attorneys" from his show (Itchy or Twitchy) was the photographer for this pic.

Jim

Comment

If my brain was 300% bigger I'd be in IT also.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis