Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earthquake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earthquake!

Just had an earthquake located about 75 miles due east from me. It was a 6.0. Did any of my California pals feel it? We had a pretty good shake here in Visalia.
    Last edited by TJMagneto; June 24, 2020, 11:59 AM.

Hope everyone's safe. That (and hurricanes) is something I've personally never experienced, although they say we had one about 2 summers ago but I was asleep the day it happened.

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      I felt that east coast quake a few years ago, that was enough for my bucket list item, I don't want anymore. Hurricanes, while I take them seriously, kind of become background noise here in NC. I've lost track of how many I've been through.

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm in the wrong place too, but 20 years ago I was in Taiwan when they had a 3.5. Very minor, but it woke me up and I did NOT like it.

Trust all is good.
    Is this something that happens your parts or a rare occurrence?

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Geologically speaking, it’s totally routine:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/gl...ng%20of%20Fire

Which makes it no less exciting when the earth is dancing under your feet.

• TJMagneto
      TJMagneto commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems like we've been getting at least one noticeable quake per year for the last few years. They've been coming from the east of us in the Owens Valley / Mammoth area. I think that the San Andreas Fault, which is about the same distance to the west of us, hasn't been as active. Not a good sign.

Did not feel anything down here in So. Cal. You're about 200 miles north of me.

Comment

Just a mere 5.8 magnitude shaker. Nothing to worry about unless you were near the epicenter -Lone Pine, CA. Not too many people out that way along 395 on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada. As a retired geologist I get excited about earthquakes but living in the San Diego area I was way too far away to feel this one.

Comment

• TJMagneto
        TJMagneto commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember the 1983 Coalinga quake. Now that was a bit exciting, registered a 6.7. I was working at the hospital (same one as now) and watching the file cabinets swing. They weren't anchored.

• wu7y
        wu7y commented
        Editing a comment
        I experienced several quakes in the late 60's while in Japan. The strongest had overhead powerlines whipping, snapping and shorting out on the street just outside our front door and I wasn't able to stay on my feet. I wasn't a geologist but I was damn sure excited! Knocked down a five story school house 150km south of us. Thanks goodness it was a weekend and the building was empty.

Didn't fell anything up here. Hope you and other members ddown there are okay.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure you weren't typing this while it happened but didn't notice😊

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        holehogg mmmaybeeee

I wa driving the MRI scanner at the time. My patient even noticed the quake.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Sir, I asked you to hold STILL!!

We lived in the SF Bay Area when the Loma Prieta quake hit. I was just finishing the work day in Palo Alto and wound up bracing myself in an office doorway. We knew this was serious when the lights went out while things were still shaking.

This was before the days of cell phones, so I hightailed it to Stanford to look for my wife in her lab, but she had just gotten home when it hit. The World Series was about to start and I would have only been a few minutes behind her to watch the game if the quake hadn't hit.

We didn't have any damage at our house, but were frustrated that our wood pile went down. And then back down two or three times after we re-stacked it and aftershocks hit.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Remember that like it was yesterday. Turned on the TV. "Hey, where's the series?" Watched Al Michaels cover the quake for 3 hours.

I love reading everyone's stories here! I would love to go through one, a mild one, in which no one was hurt.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll sit these out if that's ok with you guys.
        This yellow stripe down by back ain't paint....

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb, I moved out to LA just in time for the Sylmar quake. No chandelier, just a bookshelf above the head of my bed. My future wife's father had just left for work, he drove around the block and went back home, because he thought something had to be wrong with the steering on his truck, it was all over the street. Spent most of my life in the midwest. Few earthquakes, just tornadoes and blizzards.

• DesertRaider
        DesertRaider commented
        Editing a comment
        Bogy ComfortablyNumb I remember that one, what a ride! And the first big aftershock that hit was almost as special. Walking to school (yeah, because parents thought it was a good idea) and seeing the stuff that fell through of the factory windows was a bit eerie.

Didn't feel anything between Vallejo and San Jose, according to my guys working throughout.

TJMagneto, I saw you say "not good" up above. I've actually heard before that the more small earthquakes we have the better, since it's actually relieving pressure slowly as opposed to a massive release of pressure all at once. The massive "all at once" release is what creates the Loma Prietas of history. That being said, I'm no geologist and I just remember that from something I think i heard in the past!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Remembering from something I think I heard from the past. Hmmm, I believe you've just described old age!

• TJMagneto
        TJMagneto commented
        Editing a comment
        Sort of like Yellowstone too. Do all the little quakes you want, just don't do that other thing.

I was home and ten miles from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake in ‘89
      Talk about “rock n roll”!
      aftershocks every hour for weeks
      stay safe!

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb Yes, it was the fishing until Hurricane Ivan took my house with it. Still looking for the perfect place, how is it where you are?

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        lonnie mac seems we have had our share of disaster, If I remember right, you also got flooded (like me). When I lived in Colorado mountains, all my fire fearing friends were hoping things didn't come in 3’s

• lonnie mac
        lonnie mac commented
        Editing a comment
        smokenoob yep. Run of bad luck.

I was stationed in LeMoore from 77-81. I was lucky to have dodged the Coalinga quake. The irony is that I was in the Tokyo area at the time. I remember laying in bed at night for the first few months and felt dozens of tremors. You sort of get use to them over time and don't notice them. Then out of the blue, I'm riding an elevator and we get a major jolt. That was scary.

Comment

• TJMagneto
        TJMagneto commented
        Editing a comment
        Speaking of LNAS, I took some college classes there to get my Bachelor's Degree. Right in the middle of all of that 9/11 happened.

Being a SoCal native, I've been through a number of big and small quakes. When I was little in the early 50's, living in The Valley, a big one threw me out of bed in the middle of the night. The Sylmar quake also came early in the day as well, and dumped a bunch of books on my head from an overhead shelf - I would have gotten out of the bed, but the dang dog jumped on my chest and whimpered while licking my face. Then the Northridge quake - that was scary. Our house was trashed, every wall had damage and the house shifted on it's foundation piers. I had rolled over in bed to protect my wife and just missed having a large dresser smash down on my side. Every shelf and cupboard was "emptied" dumping the contents on the floor - lotsa glass and stuff all over.
      Funny thing is, I'm not freaked by them. But having lived in the Midwest, I'm terrified of tornados.

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        Having lived in both SoCal and the Midwest, I've heard "I wouldn't want to live where there are earthquakes/tornadoes from both sides." I've experienced both. I might slightly prefer tornadoes, because at least these days you get some warning and can take cover. Biggest difference between them? With an earthquake everything falls down in one place. With a tornado, the wind picks it all up and carries it away, giving you a nice clean spot to rebuild. Not really, but tornadoes do crazy things

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        Bogy Yeh, and tornados tend to come in batches, and pretty much every year. Had some scary years in Missouri. Fortunately, i didn't live in a "tornado attractor" (read - trailer).

We had one in Virginia, yes on the east coast, a couple years back. I was sitting at a traffic light and thought my car engine was going crazy until I looked at the trees swaying. Some books fell off shelves was the extent of our "damage".

Comment

I didn’t feel anything. I was driving at the time though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis