Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I am taking a flight today for the first time in a long time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I am taking a flight today for the first time in a long time.

Some of you know I USED to fly a whole lot, like crazy amounts and worldwide. In January I logged London Frankfurt, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland and Washington DC. A quick trip to SLC in early Feb and then nothing nada till today where I am going to Midland. SWMBO is a bit anxious about it given my age and given how careful the whole family has been. It's a work thing and my consulting is getting going and this is a paid gig.

Any of you out there on the road now or are we mainly still hunkered down?

The pic is just some steaks I did for father's Day for the family. On the lower left are some 21-day dry aged USDA prime at 29.99/lb that I sous vided and seared. The biggest part of the pile is Prime Sirloin i more or less reverse seared and boy is it easy to tell the difference!Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-06-23 15.31.31.png
Views:	209
Size:	781.8 KB
ID:	868242

Good luck traveling.
    Stay safe!

​​​​​​I'm mostly hunkered down. Wife is back and forth to Dallas pretty regularly. Sounds like people traveling along I45 are mostly not wearing PPE - at least from what she can tell if she HAS to stop.

I'd bring a mask, and extra hand sanitizer.

Dont shower for a few days and it'll encourage people to stay 6+ ft away from ya.
    ​​​
    ​​​​

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      What also works whenever anyone gets too close is to fake a cough and say, "I feel like crap."

Great looking steaks! And safe travels. I've already told my boss if he wants me in the Orlando office, plan on paying for my gas (11 hour drive each way) rather than expecting me to fly any time soon. I think he is following my lead as he is driving Orlando to Myrtle Beach for a customer location visit next week.

Comment

Still hunkered down. Not back in the office, and my primary client is highly discouraging travel for their sake. Restaurants are open here at 50% but we're staying home. Masks if we do go somewhere. Might be overkill, but you don't have to look far to find spikes around the country, so I'm good with this arrangement. Good luck with your trip.

Comment

I'd offer up our company jet but its down for maintenance. Be prepared for anything. It's another new world when it comes to traveling with the masses.

Comment

Not that I have flown in awhile but have seen a few pics from other forums from people flyin’ Beantown to Fl and they have had the cabin pretty much to themselves.
          The terminals pretty much empty

Comment

Ya got this! Just hold yur breath while on the plane.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL!!!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha, the first thought that came to mind!

Nope, if I wasn't retired and had to get on a plane no way. I traveled a fair amount over the years, but nothing like fracmeister. Most was within the U.S. Call me risk adverse, or a big chicken. Safe travels, wear a mask or can you bring an oxygen tank on board?

Comment

That's actually a very good question, vs oxygen devices.... what makes sense to me (shaddup, yall ) is that oxygen accumulators, with a small tank to store (think air compressor), would be a Significant, an straight up oxy tank would be a Critically significant threat to any aircraft that depressurized, fer whatever reason, pressure imbalance increased by altitude....
              That bein said, I'd haveta guesstimate that thousands fly every day, with a bottle, an a nasal cannula...very happy that is able to happen.

Hail, next thing ya know, someday, mebbe in my lifetime, I might not haveta relinquish my nail clippers. jmftdhmfc/

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                I heard on the news that the airlines are not serving alcohol. That's reason enough for me!

Hunkered down here. But my nephew and his wife just flew to Dallas. The flight was more crowded than they would have like, but everyone at least was masked. The one saving grace was the the airports were mostly empty.

Comment

Never hunkered down. Heading across state lines after midnight Friday to visit family and deliver two grills. That'll be after I deliver 4 briskets, 1 pork butt, and plenty sausage to a couple graduation parties. I'd like to start flying on my own by next summer.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones I'd settle for a Med basic if they give me crap for my kidney stone past, a light sport aircraft will get me 122 nautical miles and back on less than 1/2 tank.

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Over 40 years (and more certificates and ratings than I can count) ago SWMBO said that my getting a plane will always be a top priority. Still nothing in the hangar ... and still no hangar. 🤨
                  Last edited by MBMorgan; June 24, 2020, 01:14 AM.

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MBMorgan don't think I can even get an IFR if I have to go the Med basic route. I'm a fair weather partly cloudy 3+miles of visibility kind of a guy anyways.....

We live on a guide path to Toronto airport, noticed in the past week or so a big increase in aircraft traffic.
                Still not any where near pre-plague traffic when it was one after another.
                Article on the news about while domestic flying was almost nil, international flights into YYZ where jammed.
                My annual football trip to Dallas in Sept is in limbo so far but I've started to look for all-inclusive flights to Jamaica in Dec.

Comment

FWIW sent employee by car to MA legal case. Wife visiting family in MA next week via PHL on AA and has tons of sanitizer. Heard social distancing not a problem at either airport.

Comment

Loads of people at the airport and planes all packed. UA flights IAH-MAF (Midland) down to 2 a day from 7, same story everywhere. They are packing them in and in the airports loads of people w/o masks or having them not cover their noses and occasionally mouths (in the words of Homer Simpson---DOOO!). They two days I was there involved loads of driving around the field. If the people I was with had it I have it but otherwise felt pretty good. I will report in a week.

Comment

K,,,,that does it,,,,I’m stay in’ local, buyin’ some beer and butt and ribs and brisket and KBB and havin’ a private party on FaceBook
                      Im half serious,,,,not a fun thing to do is fly anywhere today

Comment

• HawkerXP
                        HawkerXP commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agree.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo
                    Meat-Up in Memphis