Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Know of a good battery-powered weed whacker aka string trimmer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know of a good battery-powered weed whacker aka string trimmer?

I've seen a few brands out there when doing searches, wondering if any of you have one that you like and can recommend?

I have a Ridgid drill/driver with a couple batteries but unfortunately Ridgid doesn't make battery powered weed whackers (yet), all they have so far for outdoor equip is a blower. My hope was to get one of theirs to eliminate needing other batteries and chargers. I am the point now where I want one and I'm tired of waiting for Ridgid.

I have the Dewalt DCST920 and like it. I was already into that battery platform. We live on a 1/3 acre and battery is more than enough for us. Reasonably price at HD and watch for bundles if there r any other outdoor equipment that u may need.
    Attached Files

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I got the same Dewalt 2 weeks ago as an early Fathers day gift, came as a package with a leaf blower and battery charger with one battery.
      From HD also.
      She's a beast, don't have a huge yard so a charge seems to last 3 trims.
      Will separate the men from the boyz when it come time to replace the line, that's why the last 2 or 3 got the old heave ho.

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      While I don't have the DeWalt string trimmer, I do have the leaf blower and hedge trimmers. Both of those are very dependable and the batteries provide decent longevity. I typically use a backpack blower, but the DeWalt is perfect to blow out the garage or the deck, just when I don't want to pull out he big boy. I can usually trim my hedges/bushes twice a month on one battery charge.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have this one also and really like it.

I have a 20v Black and Decker which I really like because with a twist of the shaft it goes from weed wacker to an edger with a wheel. If I have a knock on it it would be that I am 6’1” and it is a little short for me, but it gets the job done.

Comment

• JasonS
      JasonS commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the same B&D weed whacker/trimmer. Easy to use, light weight (my scrawny kid can use it). I left it out in the rain for a couple months (don't ask) and it still works fine!

The 80V kobalt brand from lowes is a beast. Its not cheap but it can handle edging with the attachment like a pro. Ive owned it for about 3 years and havent regretted the purchase for 1 second.
    Last edited by grantgallagher; June 22, 2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got the same kobalt and the blower that takes the same batteries.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got that 80V Kobalt and agree. It will chew through anything and the batteries are top notch.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Add me to the list on this. I also have the blower and a lawn mower. All use the same batteries although the LM has one that is a bit longer, (and heavier). So I have three interchangeable batts and don't worry about runnin' out of juice.

I have an EGO chainsaw, hedge trimmer and blower. When my Stihl weed trimmer goes out, I will replace it with an EGO. Whatever you go with, recommend you make sure the batteries are transferable from device to device.

Comment

• tdimond
      tdimond commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the EGO trimmer and lawnmower and I've been happy with both.

I did make sure to buy a trimmer with the same batter capacity as the lawnmower, even though the different EGO battery capacities are interchangeable. That makes swaps quick when mowing.

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      EGO trimmer is awesome. That’s what I use.

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      We have the EGO trimmer and blower. We bought them separately so we ended up with two batteries and two chargers. That has worked out really well. Winding the line on the trimmer is the easiest thing, just thread about 6 feet half way through the head and push a button it will wind it in for you and your ready to go. We have a large yard, but one charge will trim the whole thing. The blower has spoiled me, its a good one and also goes quite a while on one charge.

I've been looking into this myself. I want both a string trimmer and a leaf blower. The Stihl ones have my interest, but I figure between the two plus batteries and charger that I'm in for $1k. (ouch)

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are thinking to add the battery-powered chainsaw to your wish list, the Stihl chainsaw we got recently is a BEAST. Hubby got himself the Stihl and got me the less expensive Husqvarna. Honestly, from a homeowner and hobby farmer's point of view, either one would be great. If you did a lot of sawing -- say to sell firewood or arborist work -- maybe the Stihl would be a bit better -- bit more power, longer life per charge. But I wear out before the Husky does, so the matter is moot for me.

I have Makita, which uses 2-18volt batteries, come with 4 batteries and a charger that charges 2 batteries at once. Works great! And I have other Makita tools that batteries interchange with. Online $329-$349 if you look a while. The batteries alone are about $120 each if purchased separately.

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      A friend at work has a Makita that he likes a lot - I'd check them out. I had a terrific Makita drill back in the days of NiCad batteries; it was a real work horse for many many years. Now I just use a cheap Black and Decker whip as I have a small yard - it does well for small jobs.

I’m already into the Ryobi platform .... drill, drill driver, sawzall, nail gun, circular saw. Currently my weed whacked, brush cutter, and edger are all gas powered, but if I decided to move to battery I guess it would be Ryobi since I’m heavily invested there.

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a Ryobi trimmer on the 18V platform. Does what I need it to do, which isn't much. It auto-feeds the string every time you let go of the trigger, so if you have a large area to cover your options are to keep it running and eat battery or stop and start and use up the string faster.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      jumbo7676 good to know. Since I have fully functional stuff that is gas powered 2 stroke, not tempted to move to another platform.

Like craft beer, BBQ pits and heated beard brush products, the answers are going to be all over the map to this one!

I myself went to the dark side two years ago. It was a very hard choice cause I like me some petrol. I decided on the Greenworks 80V Pro line. Got the weedwacker/edger, limb/leaf wacker, and 125 MPH blaster/blower. Honestly after two years mowing every three days I could not be happier with these products. I have a good mix of other products, Dewalt, Makita, Bostch. But getting into the 80V stuff is more than my drill driver can handle. Very happy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4062.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	867940

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Very attractive lawn!!

• cstrfd4
      cstrfd4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have same plus ChainSaw, hedge trimmer.

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have that same Greenworks stuff. Love it. Also have the Greenworks snowblower, love it too. No more endlessly trying to start it up during a snowstorm.

I have an 18 volt Black and Decker. I would not necessarily recommend it. The battery drains pretty quick.

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I've got the same one. It's fine for small areas, but it does run out of battery quick.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      mnavarre Yeah, it's not terrible I have the pole saw, mini chainsaw, and drill that share the same batteries too. Again, I wouldn't necessarily recommend them.
      Last edited by Attjack; June 23, 2020, 10:50 AM.

We’ve used a 40 volt Ryobi for about 5 years. Works well. Had to replace the battery after about three years of light use.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I second the 40V Ryobi - got one this spring to replace the 4 cycle power head that works with all my Ryobi Expand-It attachments, and I think the battery power is more powerful than the gasoline engine it replaced!

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by jlazar View Post
      I have an EGO chainsaw, hedge trimmer and blower. When my Stihl weed trimmer goes out, I will replace it with an EGO. Whatever you go with, recommend you make sure the batteries are transferable from device to device.
      This. The EGO string trimmer I have laughs at blackberries. Here's the review that convince me.... https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools...ushless/14890/

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Primary reason I have a gas powered bush cutter is blackberry brambles

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. I replaced “worx” with the EGO and the difference is astounding.

I have an Ego I got a couple years back from Home Depot. Does a great job on my lawn and it is easy to reload. Unless you have some really nasty weeds or a huge yard it should do the job just fine.

Comment

I take it back... THIS was the review that led me to the Ego... good comparison of most of the top makes.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools...hootout/21505/

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis