Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teaching kids to fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching kids to fish

I have an almost 5 year old. Just bought him his first rod and we have been practice casting all week. First time i put a real hook on it this happens. Little bugger tried to set it too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C509C311-526C-4731-8758-B60AA3BB2319.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	867017

I remember catching my Pa's neck and setting the hook, I think I was around 6, but I vividly remember the screaming We did a lot of fishing after that though and those times are some of my fondest memories. If I remember right he crimped the barbs on all my hooks after that.

Comment

Hope the hook wasn't barbed, but it looks like it was! Teaching and learning

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        oh it was, lol

Sorry to see this. But I am LMAO.
      Man does this bring back some memories.

Comment

Hope yer leg is okay, Brother.

Have a nice scar through my upper lip, from my Son tryin to cast with a treble hook, after I had jus explained to him he needed to focus, an calm down, stop swingin th rod an reel so wildly.
        Did it hurt? Yup. Damn Skippy, it tore a 3/8"notch outta my upper lip.
        Did I punish my Son? Chew him out, even? Nope.
        He was sufficently impressed by th copious amount of blood runnin down my face, an freakin out, cryin.
        I figgered that was a lesson learned.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 21, 2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, I’m with you. Not their fault Pops didn’t think it through. LOL

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          Which hurt more, that or the can of corn?

Look at the bright side, you didn't try to teach him fishing with dynamite.

Comment

I learned early on as a young father that I could go fishing or I could take the boys fishing, but you cannot do both at the same time. We still talk about those outings and all the fun we had. Even if you get a few scars along the way take the kids fishing. You're on the right track grantgallagher keep up the good work.
        Last edited by Oak Smoke; June 21, 2020, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I am sorry. I know it hurt. But with the passage of time, it’ll become funny and a great story!

Comment

Ouch!

First thing I did when contemplating taking my boys out fishing was to crimp, or cut/grind off, all the barbs.
            Sure, a fish or two might get away...but it would be a LOT less painful when I got snagged. LOL

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              We are going bass fishing today. Im not there yet...lets hope we dont get there, lol

Worked with my boy all week on casting. Once he could cast the rubber practice lure out into the cul-de-sac consistently I took him to the river bank. Also took our Lab. (mistake) Had the boy do a couple of practice casts. Perfect. Set him up with a rubber frog and a nice big red and white float. He casts. The dog thinks the float is a ball. Knocks him into the river as she leaps into the water. He drops the pole. She somehow hooks herself and is now dragging the rod across the river. At least this one listens. Called her and she turns around. Gets up on the bank and shakes. The rubber frog fall on the ground. Unfortunately this was way before cell phones. Good times.

Comment

My Dad, (and his Dad), loved to fish. They took me fishin' when I was two. I was having a great time slapping the cane pole in the water. My Granddad told me I'd never catch a fish that way and about that time, when I lifted the pole to slap it in the water again, I pulled a small fish out of the water. My GD just shook his head and walked away while my D couldn't stop laughing. Of course, I don't remember that day, but my D loved to tell the story.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, learned on a cane pole, as well.
                Didn't have me no fancy rod an reel (Zebco 202) til after I was outta school.

I come from a fishing families. I was planed to be born in July and I was. So my mother my could recover to go fishing in October. I spend my first October on weekend nights in a wicker basket in a WW2 jeep on the beach while my parents fished. I did not have problems putting hooks where they should not be,

Comment

Did you tell ur son “ if you catch it, you have to clean it and cook it “??!!!!
                LOL,,,,,,,Be’in a real good Dad ain’t always easy

Comment

Looks like it hurt, but it could have been in much worse locations. I love fishing, but my dad is not a fan, so I had to rely on other relatives. Keep it up, it's something he will always remember.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                    grantgallagher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, 100% could have been worse. I am slightly dreading today. Me and a buddy taking our kids for the first time...i just hope its us that get hooked and not them...although id prefer a fish or 2 to be honest

Ahh the memories this brings. Sorry for the booboo but it's well worth it. Many great times ahead for you guys!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis