Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New York steaks, dry brined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York steaks, dry brined

Gonna try dry-brining these for about 3 hours before cooking. Going by the rule of 1/4tsp of salt per lb of meat, I used about 2/3 tsp since these weighed in at about 2.5 lbs. I'll do a reverse sear, of course and shoot for a final temp of 130. The final seasoning will be pretty simple: coarse ground black pepper, dill weed and celery seed.

BTW, this is a typical price at Smith's (effective price $5.59/lb.)

Update: Almost forgot the garlic powder. I usually put garlic salt, but since I'm doing a dry brine I need to change that.
    Last edited by boftx; August 9, 2014, 04:42 PM.

Man thats a sweet price, I did some NYs last week because they were on sale for 8.99.

BTW LOVE celery seed and never thought of that on a steak. thx.

Comment

Ah, the great way to season a steak. Sounds delish

Comment

Just put them on a few minutes ago. I wound up putting a rub on them just before I lit the chimney consisting of garlic powder, ground black pepper, onion powder, dill weed and celery seed and put them back in the fridge until the coals were fully lit. I'm using Kingsford Mesquite for this.

I've got the charcoal tray all the way up so the grates will be good and hot when it comes time for sear. I'll do that when the steaks are at about 115 or so. I use the Mav to monitor rough temp and will switch over to the Thermapen once I start the sear.

The cook chamber is running at about 325 with a level chimney-full of briquettes.
        Last edited by boftx; August 9, 2014, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          those are some good looking strips !

My wife fixed up some onions and mushrooms and baked some bread to go with it. The end result? Damn good food that the rest of y'all are missing out on.

Comment

Good filling there!!

Comment

What did you think of the results with the dry-brining vs. your regular method of cooking? Since I'm missing out you might as well rub it in some more.

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife liked it better, but she likes salt. It wasn't overly salty for me and I could taste the difference. More important, I think it did help to tenderize the meat a bit.

The biggest adjustment I have to make is how to make my rub without salt. I usually put in garlic salt but I had to use garlic powder this time. My normal way is to make the rub and put it on 2 or 3 hours in advance, but this time I only put salt on that early and then added to it. So the rub tasted a bit off to me without the salt. I don't use a set recipe, I just go by taste and whatever I have handy in the spice cabinet.

I use what my wife and I call our HOUSE SEASONING,
            1 qt. mason jar
            1 cup kosher salt
            1/3 cup fresh ground pepper
            1/4 cup granulated onion
            1/3 cup granulated garlic
            put all ingredients in mason jar, put lid on shake well. we use this on just about everything beef. it's the only thing I put on tri tip prime rib gets a little more salt and pepper, bigger piece of meat.

Comment

• Papa Bob
              Papa Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              I dry brine my steaks, roasts and just about all beef that I grill or smoke.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis