Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork in Edinburgh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork in Edinburgh

We just got back from a marvelous 2 week vacay in Edinburgh and London.

In Edinburgh, on Victoria Street, I came to a full stop at this shop front:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Oink in Edinburgh 1 resized.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	86272

It was about 4pm, so there was only a bit of the pulled pork left, plus the head and trotters, of course.

Name:	Oink in Edinburgh 3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	86273

Alas poor Yorick-hog. He served them well:

Name:	Oink in Edinburgh 2 cropped.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	86274

We opted for beers at a nearby pub instead, but that pork was tempting!

Kathryn

There were cheek and jowl left!

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Yum!

Kathryn

Glad you were able to get away, and hope it was great!

That would have been interesting - you likely could have taught them a LOT!

Welcome back!

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a terrific trip, Rich (@richinlbrg). and thanks for the welcome back wishes. I'm eager to fire up my PBC again, once the laundry is done and my jet lag has gone.

K.

Welcome back! Thanks for sharing pics! That's a clever OINK logo, melikes.

Comment

Thanks, guys, even though the vacation was spectacular, it's nice to be back home again, jet lag and all.

Huskee , I thought that was a really clever logo as well. I wish they had sold T-shirts, aprons, or kitchen towels with that design. I would have brought one home for all of my souvenir giftees, for sure!

Kathryn

Comment

Sounds like a great trip, they left the best parts on that pig though.

Comment

fzxdoc , Kathryn, that is an enviable trip! By the way, did you come home with a new, favorite beer?

Comment

I would love to go to Scotland ! My last name is Fife. Wonder what their local whisky & beer is like along with the food ?

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              All I can say, barney, is that the local booze, both whisky and beer, went down really well with the Scottish food. We came back with a couple of bottles of scotch that were a huge departure from the peaty scotch whiskys that we normally like. One is Glenlivet Nadurra from Speyside (16 years old, aged in American oak bourbon barrels), and the other is Auchentoshen Springwood (also aged in American oak bourbon barrels) made in a distillery near Glasgow (a Lowland Scotch flavor profile).

Kathryn

Originally posted by John View Post
            Sounds like a great trip, they left the best parts on that pig though.
            John , I figured that those were the parts that the owners got to take home with them. After all, with haggis as one of Scotland's national dishes and the albeit stereotypical depiction of the thrifty Scotsman, I doubt that all those tasty bits would go to waste!

BTW, I loved having haggis and Cumberland sausages as part of my daily breakfast while there. I passed on the blood pudding, though. Couldn't make myself eat that. I hope that a Scots Pitmaster here won't tell me that I missed the best part of Scottish food not eating it!

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
              fzxdoc , Kathryn, that is an enviable trip! By the way, did you come home with a new, favorite beer?
              Ray, I prefer porters and stouts with food and lighter ales or lagers for "sippin'". My fav Scottish beer was Innis and Gunn, made in Edinburgh, described as "a smooth Scottish beer with hints of toffee, vanilla and oak". I'm hoping to find it stateside.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              Rubs Promo
              Meat-Up in Memphis