Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another day on the BGE... Bake bread in the afternoon and grill a steak for dinner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another day on the BGE... Bake bread in the afternoon and grill a steak for dinner...

Pre-fermented 75% hydration sourdough bread in the afternoon and a 1 3/4" Choice Ribeye steak at dinner time.

https://app.box.com/s/aj80bw298nysqblx2dqoxpbixpmqs97k

That's some great looking bread and steak. I've got to expand what I cook...I love bread (and lots of butter)!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Fuzzy... I'd never even dreamed of baking a loaf of bread until I got my BGE. Now I'm a pretty good breadhead.

Give it a try. It gives you something to do during a long low and slow cook.

Noticed you used that nifty little gadget.....pretty steak.

Comment

Great stuff right there. That bread looks like the stuff fine restaurants serve as an appetizer, and you dip it in olive oil. The kind that makes you say "How come only restaurants have bread this good?". Nicely done.

Comment

Looks great, even with the Australian pics. It has rained here for 3 solid weeks, and now that it is clearing up I am sick as a dog. Looked at a rack of ribs at the store that I wanted to cook tomorrow but the thought of prepping them tonight sounded too exhausting. Probably need to hit up a Dr...

Comment

I'm going to add a thought about something I've read about, but never tried. Actually, I've never tried bread baking at all, but here goes: When trying to come up with a good sourdough starter, add some unwashed fruit like plums, grapes, or peaches to the mix, The idea is that the yeasts, etc. that settle on the fruit skin will enhance the sourdough starter. I'm within days of being able to try this myself--nice fruit coming on now in my SE AZ "orchard" and I may just try this myself. LOVE good crusty sourdough bread. Never had really good sour dough outside San Fran.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Willy... You are just complicating a very simple process when you introduce foreign yeast into your starter.

The natural yeast on your hands, in your kitchen and in the processed flour you buy at the grocery store is/has more than enough yeast to start a sourdough culture.

Do this... With a digital scale weigh 50 grams of bread flour, 50 grams of Whole Wheat flour and 100 grams of water. Put it in a cereal bowl, mix it together with a spoon, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it on your kitchen counter top for a couple of days.

On day 2 or 3 you will see some yeast activity, bubbles.

When that happens... Use your digital scales (they cost $15 to $20) and pour out 100 grams. Replace it with 25g of bread flour, 25g of WW flour and 50g of water.

Do that daily at the same time, you pick the time, no matter what your sourdough culture looks like.

Once your culture starts showing yeast activity and you get all excited and start the dump and feed process it will hit the "Stall". It will quit producing bubbles, it will look like it has died! Keep dumping and feeding! It's faking you out! The 2 bacteria are fighting for their position in the culture and they quit doing what they normally do... Produce Co2 and alcohol. Your culture will go dormant! Keep dumping and feeding! Your culture is NOT a dead horse they are just doing their thing and building an infrastructure inside the culture that will make it a real workhouse later.

The stall will last about a week. That's when rookies start adding apples, juices and all kinds of crazy stuff. DON'T DO IT!!!

The yeast you add is a foreign yeast and your local yeast will have to have a battle with that foreign yeast. The local yeast will eventually win but in the mean time up to half of the yeast in your culture can be dead, defective yeast that will give you funky flavors and cause your dough to rise slowly or cause your SD culture to die.

KISS... Keep it simple, my friend!
            Last edited by Breadhead; June 3, 2015, 09:54 PM.

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Wartface: A couple thoughts:

1) My wife has done some sourdough stuff and hers never got very sour. Most so-called sourdoughs aren't, IMHO.
            2) The fruit I'm talking about is pretty local--from my back yard.

The idea came from a supposed "good" baking source--can't remember what book or website.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            @Willy... Hyper local yeast from your own backyard would be best if you feel a need to use anything other than natural wild yeast. I've never found the need to attempt that.

As far as getting a real sour loaf of bread try this.

The sourness of your loaf is mainly created in the structure of your starter, not so much in the bread recipe itself. The more acetic acid you can get your starter to produce, the more sour the resulting bread will become.

The sourness of a given starter has a lot to do with the type of Lactic Acid Bacteria that it contains. Different forms of LAB prefer to metabolize certain sugars and produce more acetic acid than lactic acid. That is why the San Francisco strain is popular to people who like super sour loaves, because it is known for producing a good amount of acetic acid.

Also, what you feed your starter and the storage temperature has an effect on your acetic acid productions. Again, to slightly generalize, whole wheat flour and a cold fermentation will produce more acetic acid than a warm fermented starter that is fed refined bread flour which will generally favor the production of lactic acid.

Also, the longer it has been since your starter has been fed, the more acetic acid it will generally produce.

So the idea is to create an environment within your starter that is already sour. Once you achieve this, cold ferment your bread dough overnight in the fridge, form, and then retard again overnight before baking. This should create a significantly sour loaf. Now giving this loaf structure is a little tricky, because acetic acid also weakens gluten strands....but that's a whole other topic!
            Last edited by Breadhead; June 4, 2015, 04:10 PM.

#3 May 30th, 2015, 04:12 PM Noticed you used that nifty little gadget.....pretty steak. @Jerod... I'm not so sure that nifty little gadget isn't the most useful thing I've ever bought to make cooking on my BGE easier. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, it's a winner! $38! I can sear a steak with it better than any device I've used before. I can elevate my pizza stone above the felt line with it. I can place 3 rib racks under it and then put a 16" grate on top of it and put on 3 more racks of ribs. What's not to like about it?

Comment

Wartface I still can"t figure out how you cook upside down . BTW, do i see heat shrink tubes on those probes?

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm using an iPad... It looks perfect to me, right side up.

No heat shrink tubes on probes. Those are the standard probes of the new Maverick ET-735. I don't know if they are different than the ET-732/733 probes or not?

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Wartface the ET-732/733 don't have that protection where the cable enters the probe like the ET-735 does. I got some heat shrink rubes to put on mine and so far they are doing their job. I don't know why they don't do all of the probes like that.

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              @DWC... Maybe Maverick has people tracking what we all say about their defective product and are going to finally improve it.

Probably not... I bet they make more net profit selling probes than they make selling anything else.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis