Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what the crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what the crap?

I ordered 36 16 ft 1x6 Cypress from a local sawmill for a horizontal fence I'm building in my backyard. They arrived yesterday, and last night after work I started going through them and at least 10 of them are warped and unusable and 3 are split and chewed up. One had been partially sawed about 7 feet from the end of the board. I can't believe that someone would deliver something like that. Sorry, I just had to vent.

Ouch, that doesn't sound good. Take it back and buy from someone else. It's sad that they have such poor quality control, those boards should never have left the sawmill.

Comment

I hope they have a good customer satisfaction policy. Cypress isn’t cheap. You probably already know this, but cypress benefits from not being sealed. My brother-in-law painted his cypress swing and over time it rotted. When I bought my cypress swing I questioned the guy who made them, and he told cypress needs to be able to breathe meaning it needs to be able to dry out after absorbing water.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        That's important information. I did find that out and instead of sealing I sprayed them down with a mixture of Timboor, antifreeze, and water.

No surprise.
      The 2x4/2x6's my Home Depot sells is better suited to Bobby Hulls hockey sticks its so warped.
      You have to sort thru an entire lift of wood to get maybe a few dozen marginally straight pieces.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on Bobby Hull !! (You’re dating yourself) Of course having said that I still refer speeders as driving like Mario Andretti :’)

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        However, the plus side of HD is that after you have sorted out that unit they mark that lumber down 70%. So if you are building something that isn't particular about its lumber you can save a bundle.

That's the reason I always buy lumber in person...

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Same goes for meat

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, but since my boards were cut to order I guess I just assumed they would take some sort of pride in their product. Wow, I was wrong.

I'd expect near perfect boards from a saw mill. They need to replace those.

Comment

Maybe ya can cook salmon on them! 😳

Comment

cypress is great wood. Used it to build the docks out at Tyler State Park as it resists rotting. Father in law owns Snyder Inc. The sawmill here in Texas. All they deal with is yellow pine though. Did you buy pickets or boards? Pickets are usually cast offs, and have a lot of roughad and unusable boards. Usually you can pull the bad ones and exchange for good ones. Built a few fences, and it's always part of the process. Sort and exchange.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by texastweeter; June 12, 2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

texastweeter I bought boards - all 16 ft 1x6. Once we started working with them we found that some are true 1x6, some are 1 x 6.25. It's pretty clear they gathered scrap boards and delivered them.
            Last edited by hoovarmin; June 12, 2020, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Wow. Send those bad ones back.

Comment

We culled our the bad ones and had enough to get the first part of the project done. I’m no carpenter, but I’m pleased with the outcome. There are imperfections, but you can't see them from Coney Island. Our neighbor's fence was a horrible eyesore I had to look at every time we were in the backyard, which is every day. My 19 year-old son was a big, big help and I was really proud of him. The improvement in our yard is tremendous. Here's some before and after photos. Also, 1 hour after completing the project the owner of the house with the old fence showed up and tore theirs down, lol.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Before1.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	862187Click image for larger version

Name:	Before2.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	862188Click image for larger version

Name:	Before3.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	862186Click image for larger version

Name:	After.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	862189

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo
                Meat-Up in Memphis