Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Toy

Who can resist a new plaything? when it comes to cooking, the whole lot of us here are a bunch of KIDLETS! and proud to be so. we take delight in the most feral and fundamental of exercises, creating sustenance for ourselves and our loved ones. So, with the appropriate solemnity (and by that I mean great cheering and LOTS of cooking plans) I welcome my new toy! I just ordered a deep fryer!!! It will arrive on Sunday. MAYBE Saturday, but by Sunday.

I have been thinking about this for a long time. I once thought, heck, I would only use such a thing for French Fries and we all know that isn't something you need to eat on a regular basis. But, since then, I have been using my Cast iron Dutch Oven for a great many frying uses. In the last six months I have made doughnuts, fritters, Panzki, potato chips and thought about many more. Even only using it once a month, it is worthwhile to have. if used once a week, it will more than pay it's freight. I have waffle irons that cost more than this little beauty did.

in the end, after reading many reviews, I went with a Waring. I was going to buy the larger version as larger pieces tend to be better built if a bit overkill for a small household as ours. but, the reviews have told me this is as good a performer as the larger model of the same fryer by the same manufacturer. so, it might take a little longer to cook a full recipe, it also will go through smaller single meal cooks far easier.

Pics when available. I am purchasing this as much for popular demand as for myself. My neighbors are asking me when I am doing potato chips again. as much as I love home made chips, they ARE a long term process to cook and a hot one, at that. this will make it far easier to do, especially over the summer months. and HWMO can dust his with BBQ. he likes using my rub mix without the additional sugar and a lower salt content for his. I need to find some powdered vinegar as I am partial to salt and vinegar chips. but, in fresh chips, I just like the chips!!

So, have a great weekend, cook something epic and, if the mood strikes, ask the spouses about a deep fryer. Father's Day is coming. to all the dads, Happy cooking!!

Karon Adams, I hope it works out great. I bought one from Webrestaurant.com. It holds 1.5 gal of oil and it is great. How much oil does the Waring hold?

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      this is the smaller one. they had one that was supposed to use a gallon but most reviewers said they needed a little more. this one, I think, is supposed to be 2 quarts. it will take a little longer to cook everything and in slightly smaller batches. but, it is only we two, these days so, I'd rather the smaller one.

Hand made chips dusted with Old Bay seasoning are an existential experience.

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll try that. HWMO will probably like them more. I'm a little bit of a purist, ehre, I just like a potato chip with salt. but I DO like the salt and vinegar. was never much of a fan of the chips flavoured sour cream & onion (though that is my favorite dip) nor BBQ chips. I DO like the cool Ranch doritos though so, hey, go figure! but, this is going to be tons of fun. I am already planning some corn dogs. who knows what may find it's way into the hot oil. DEFINITELY looking for doughnuts next weekend!!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Karon Adams I share your exact likes & dislikes regarding chip flavors. Funny.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Then you'll have to pop by some time. We'll put some pig on the smoker and watch the bees with a bowl full of chips!

Fried Ravioli in classic tomato sauce, awesome!

Comment

I LOVE salt & vinegar chips! I always wanted to get a deep fryer for making wings (outside). My bro-in-law who lives about 3 miles away has a nice large one. I borrow his, hence never buying my own, then I learned to make excellent wings on the kettle....so... I'm quite sure my wife will never condone me making my own donuts at home. Looking at it now I really think there's no chance I'll (need to/be allowed to) get one. But I am happy for you!

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        well, This is on the order of a downsize for me. We have a beer tree with 15 gallon pots. thankfully, we also have 10 gallon pots 5 gallon pots and 3 gallon pots. when I really want to go to town, I go with either the 3 or 5 gallon and go for it. or, I could downsize again and use the cast iron Dutch oven. this is more on the order of finally having the right tool for the job.

Don't think I need the large batches of 15 gallon so, I am finally going to have a countertop piece that does just what I need.

and I am planning a nice dinner of corndogs. and later fried Mozzarella and some fried mushrooms and who know what else. I plan to very much enjoy

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo
    Meat-Up in Memphis