Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dissing Porter Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dissing Porter Cable

One of the first things I bought when I started setting up my wood shop last year was a Porter Cable drill press. The one I inherited from my Dad had been sitting in a corner of my unheated shed since '92. When I got it out, it was much smaller than I remembered, and solid rust. Since my goal was to do wood working and not tool restoration, I decided to get a new one. So I went to Lowes and picked up what I thought was a nice one. I set it up and it ran and bits spun true - good 'nough. I never even bothered to change the speed.

However, I was researching something the other day and ran across an article that mentioned how important drill speed was, so I decided it was time to adjust the speed - it was set to a low speed like you would use for large wood bits. I opened the top of the drill press and one of the belts was not lined up properly from one pulley to another. So I tried to release the tension on the pulleys, but the adjuster was stuck. I played around with it for several days and finally got serious today. It turned out that the two pulleys are different sizes and they were installed opposite of the correct way. I switched them and can now adjust the speed.

It's hard to believe it came that way from the factory...

Sorry, but I needed to vent and when I told my wife, she gave me a blank stare...
    Last edited by RonB; June 10, 2020, 07:24 PM.

"Since my goal was to do wood working and not tool restoration, I decided to get a new one.". Too funny.

Maybe it was the assemblers first day?

Comment

Yeah, the stare of “what’s a pulley” & “who gives a rip about drill bits”. Remember tools are a guy thing. 💁🏻‍♀️ 😳

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes - and I didn't know she was related to you...

• GroceryBoy
        GroceryBoy commented
        Editing a comment
        OH MY GOD! I thought I was the only one got “That Stare”!

I have always been such a huge Porter Cable fan boy. Not so much these days. But that goes with a lot of manufactures as well. More and more I am looking for old school solid tools that I can rebuild.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        lonnie mac Agreed, you mentioned Cast Iron saws in another post, that's old school as you say.
        Tools that where meant to last decades, Beaver, Rockwell, Buffalo to name a few.
        Tools today are made to wear out so you'll buy new ones every 2-3 years.
        No profit in tools that last decades.

• UncleSpike
        UncleSpike commented
        Editing a comment
        They haven't been the same since Black and Decker bought them years ago.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah - my older Porter Cable stuff is probably better quality than the newer stuff that I've looked at or bought. I've got a great router with fixed and plunge bases, which mostly lives in my router table. Bought it 25 years ago though. I got a Porter Cable jig saw recently, but its mostly plastic, and I don't expect it to last 25 years.

We need to get back to old school. It always works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	103069773_2549623378636724_5006491930174159778_n.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	860292

Comment

• GroceryBoy
        GroceryBoy commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan, is that pontoon off Lake Winnebago??

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe they are ready for a flood to come? Just run out to the front porch and float away...

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like one of those fandangled mobile house boats. Heard about 'em, never seen one 'til now.

Me: Staring at you blankly.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        You are the reason I didn't go into more detail.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB What?

Must have been assembled on a Friday.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Project start time. 4:27:39 pm. End time. 4:29pm. Happy Hour all you can eat nachos with the spicy cheese sauce that has the occasional green chili in it, the one where your not sure if you licking your fingers or the paper thin napkins leaves less gunk on your hand,.... down the block... 4:31PM.

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks HouseHomey ...... lol. Now I want nachos. Which means I have to smoke a brisket this weekend so that I can MAKE the nachos I want. 😜

At least it was something fixable. I've gotta pull my old crappy chipper-shredder apart again and figure out why its jammed up. This is after replacing the pull cord last weekend to run it in the first place (only took 3 tries to get it right ). Somedays I think it might be interesting to try not being handy but having money to pay others to be handy. Nah, not really. Money might be nice though...

Comment

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        A really big +1 on that good buddy.

Craftsmanship is not something too many of the younger workers don't understand. I enjoy seeing the woodworking and metal craft that some of our AR friends produce.

Comment

I have a Porter Cabel dremel....I wonder if there’s something bassakwards with this too....considering it goes slow or slower....

enjoyed your post though..good laughter to start the morning! Gonna be a good day

Comment

Reminds me of here, a few days ago. My neighbour in th other side of my lil duplex had been largely unsuccessful in gittin his chainsaw to run in proper tune, so he called a guy we know is talented with small engines. Guy got th saw runnin nicely, an then later, neighbour was tryin to cut up some poplar from a downed tree at his parents. Saw ran good, but didn't wanna cut worth a dang. Turned out, he had put th chain back on backwards.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol RonB Definitely reminds me of an old joke bout nails!
            Thanks fer th laughs, can use em, right bout now.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            @Mr Bones - I think I remember that joke...

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            What? Ya mean that thar saw didn't have reverse? Next time, tell him to cut from the other side of the tree. Should fix it.

My dad, who was a very fine carpenter and also knew the other trades (he learned by apprenticing to a "tradesman" back in the '30s) had a lot of Porter Cable handheld power tools that he swore by (and, rarely, at!) But they are not the same quality any more, unfortunately. Most of his big machines were DeWalt, however. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't negotiate with my brother to get his bandsaw.
          Last edited by Dewesq55; June 11, 2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes - but how often do you have to saw a band. And the rest of the members start runnin' anyway when you saw into the first one.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB -What I find extra funny about your quip is that my primary use for a band saw would be for use in building "band instruments," particularly electric guitars! 🎸😉
            Last edited by Dewesq55; June 11, 2020, 06:20 PM.

Rigid fan here. I'm likely to say things lil\ke "that's what you get for buying a Dodge...I mean Porter Cable"

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            I got started with Ridgid a few years ago when I got an amazing deal on a multi-tool cordless combination set with the carry bag. It came with 2 4Ah batteries and a coupon for a free 5Ah battery. I love them. Before the Ridgid, I only bought/owned consumer grade handheld power tools. These were a huge step up in quality and performance. Since then, I have bought several more Ridgid cordless tools since they all use the same batteries. I'm still waiting for an underwhelming tool from them.

Somebody please hand me the cone of shame. I own a drill press that I bought at Harbor Freight. I rarely use it though so it hasn't broke yet.

Comment

• RickyBobby
            RickyBobby commented
            Editing a comment
            Cone of shame denied. I will tell you that I have a LARGE number of tools and equipment from Harbor Freight that I used frequently as an aircraft mechanic. Sure, most of their stuff is lower quality, but if you aren’t using the press all day everyday to make a living, it would be a waste of money to buy a high end one. Drill proudly, sir! Lol. Just my two cents.

RonB I feel your pain!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis