Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well That was Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well That was Fun!

I was having a mediocre day this morning before I started checking e-mails. The usual stuff and a neat e-mail about something real nice shipping. Then my jaw hit the floor. It was an-email with one of my on-line passwords on it and a bunch of blackmail jibberish. Looked like a cut/paste thing. So, I went through all of the places that I might use that password and changed it. Then I changed my Xfinity account e-mail address. Then I had to go update my e-mail address at a whole bunch of places, including AR. That process probably took away 3-5 hours of my life. Monday can't end soon enough.
    Please consider changing passwords at the various places you visit and do business at once in a while and don't make 'em too predictable.
    Last edited by TJMagneto; June 8, 2020, 11:00 PM.

TJMagneto I feel you. I've been fighting a case of identity theft for over a year now. Apparently collection agencies back east don't care that they got my name wrong, or that I never have lived in Chicago, or that Commonwealth Ed seems to do a pretty crummy job of vetting new users. And it's not the easiest thing dealing with the Credit Bureaus either. It may have been a major pain changing the password, but don't forget to follow up on your credit reports.

Comment

A while back I started using 1Password (and there are of course other similar servcies). I really must say it has helped me tremendously. Now I let it generate looong random passwords, every site/shop/forum has a different unique password and it works great with my various computers and smart phones due to auto-sync. All I have to do is to use either Apple's FaceID (instead of type in a password), or Windows Hello (fingerprint scan). Now I'm about to enable 2 factor auth on the accounts that support it.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll add a second vote for 1Password. I've been using it for years now on my Mac and Windows computers as well as iPad and iPhone. All my passwords these days are randomly generated ones, and as long as I can remember my password to 1Password, it can remember all the rest for me.

1Password like Henrik said (or other managers are the way to go, don't reuse ever -- but 1Password is amazing you should try it). I really like the lighter mind I get from not having to remember all those website credentials.

Another tip for this is this monitoring website: https://haveibeenpwned.com, you put the email you use on the various accounts you have (reusing email is fine, it isn't a secret) and it will notify you when a data breach is found to contain your data. They are usually found years (people reuse passwords for years) after the fact, so this is more of an information than an alarm system.

One last thing, changing password frequently -- like - doesn't make it stronger. Better to choose a good one and stick with it.

Comment

I use KeePass. Great open source software and my passwords are stored locally.

Comment

I use KeePass for more sensitive sites and LastPass for all others.

Comment

I just changed my password from 'monkey' to 'monkeys'. That should make everything secure....

Comment

• TJMagneto
              TJMagneto commented
              Editing a comment
              Uhhhhhh.

• DesertRaider
              DesertRaider commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol!

I started using LastPass for work and so kept using it for personal as well, but KeePass and 1Password are good also.

Comment

Thanks all for the great ideas. The password that got compromised was for forums and nothing else thank goodness. But I am going to investigate the suggestions for sure.
              ​​​​​​
              ​​
              Last edited by TJMagneto; June 9, 2020, 07:18 AM.

Comment

I started using Passthepotatos, I’ll see how it works.

Comment

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Potatoes has an e in it.

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  JCGrill your potatoes does but this is a new flashy techie secret password thing, so there.

• DesertRaider
                  DesertRaider commented
                  Editing a comment
                  FireMan I prefer Eatthepotatospreferablycooked! Hasn't been hacked yet

I use masterpassword because it's quick and multidevice and doesn't store anything (if you set it up that way). Doesn't depend on being online. But I also use Sticky Password as an on-cloud store, and I can easily share passwords as needed with family. Have also used LastPass and it works very well too.

But use something!

Comment

I use Dashlane. One nice extra Bennie is it has VPN built in, so that helps you on public wifi.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bennie? I used to love watching Bennie Hill. 🕶

• Bogy
                    Bogy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was beginning to think I was the only one who used Dashlane.

4 or 5 months ago I got an email like TJMagneto received. It listed a password I used frequently 15+ years ago. I spent part of a couple of days cleaning up accounts using that password, many of which aren't even active anymore. That and all the duplicates etc. The password manager does make the process a lot easier.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis