Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got a new knee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a new knee!

I mentioned earlier in the week, in someone else's thread, that I was offered a chance to get my knee replaced, virtually on the spur of the moment. I don't want to do that again, so for those who might be wondering how that went, I started my own thread. Thanks to everyone for all the prayers and support. It has been quite a week. Monday Carolyn called to see what the status was on my missed surgery in April, and if it wasn't going to be soon, could I get another shot of cortisone. Less than an hour later the surgeon called me and explained he is allowed by the hospital to do one in-patient orthopedic surgery per day, and he had just had a cancellation. For Wednesday. Carolyn listening in, said YES! Tuesday I got a service recorded for Tomorrow, and did a pre-op physical. About a third of the test results came back after the surgery took place, but I was approved for surgery. BTW, I did not get swabbed for COVID-19, which would be normal procedure. We made the hour and 20 minute drive Wednesday, and Carolyn dropped me off at 6 am in Ames. She, of course, could not come in. Surgery went well, and Wednesday afternoon I was up briefly with Physical Therapy. Thursday I had a longer session with PT, and passed so I could be released. Also met with Occupational Therapy, and by 1:30 they pushed me out the door where Carolyn was waiting. Since then I've been doing my exercises twice a day, and I've spent a lot of time sleeping. Coming out of the morphine, just on oxycontin and tylanol now, and this is the first time I've really been able to sit and write something, and stay awake. Thursday night our family did a zoom call for my 7 year old grandson's birthday. Kids got a kick out of dad falling asleep every 30 seconds. Thanks again.

Awesome!!

When my mom did hers she was so satisfied she wanted to hurry up and do the other one and the doctor was like, "I don't think so, you do it when you need it."

​​​​​​

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      I had my first replacement done 7 years ago. I was sure then that I would have to have the second one done that year, but it felt pretty good. Then, with kids getting married and grandchildren being born, never seemed to fit the schedule. Moved to 2 new churches a year ago, and they knew upfront this was in the agenda for sometime very soon. Good time for it, because I have virtually nothing on my calendar.

Happy to hear all went very well for you and your family. Soon you will be fully recovered from the surgery. Wishing you the best, take care, stick to your therapy and rest up too.

Comment

Happy to hear from you and a positive result. Does it come with a warranty?

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, but hopefully I won't need to use it.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        No, it just comes with a refund. They give you the old knee back...

Well, it is great to have the surgery behind you, and now the hard work of therapy begins. I remember visiting a knee replacement patient in the 70s. Back then those surgeries and therapy were almost prehistoric. Things have come a long way. Thank God for medical progress.
      Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 6, 2020, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, even the changes from 7 years ago are considerable. Biggest thing is, just one night, instead of 2, before they kick you out. Then again, really didn't want to be there any longer than I had to. I did not ask how many COVID patients they had, but one of my nurses is normally on that floor, and they have been very busy.

Congrats on the new hardware! Glad it went well. Strict adherence to therapy was key for me. Do what they tell you. No regrets.

Comment

Glad to hear all went well. From what I hear, keeping up with the physical therapy is very important, even though it hurts like crazy. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Great news. My Wife has had both knees and both hips done. She swears by it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife was good fer some swearin, as well.
            Glad it gave her a renewed lease on life, Brother!

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife seldom swears. When she does, our kids know it's time to pay attention, because momma never swears! If they made her mad enough to swear, everyone better walk on eggshells. I of course would NEVER bring her to that point.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Of Course, natch, Bogy ! lol
            Never...
            Cain't see that happenin lol!
            Git well, do th therapy, ya know where to hit me up, ever wanna talk, durin yer downtime, Brother.
            Straight up, I mean it.

Sounds like you got what you _knee-ded-

Nice when something happens medically quicker for a change.

Comment

I'm glad it went well.

Comment

I've been going to this surgeon for 14 years. He took a plate out of my leg that a different surgeon had put in while we were in Nebraska, and giving me shots of Cortisone. He's been telling me for 8 or 9 years that any time I wanted to do it, he felt I was ready. Kept putting it off. Had the other knee done 7 years ago, finally gave in and admitted that the second one needed it. So, when we called on Monday, he knew if I was calling to ask about it, it had to be bad. This is partly why I stuck with him even after moving. Had to drive a little further, but he's one of the best orthopedists in Iowa, and he knows my history.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Great backstory, not a place to Bargain Shop, imo.
                Git well soon, hit me up, if I can ever do anything, Brother...
                Love an prayers goin out to ya...

Awesome!!! I’ll be following your progress closely as I’m long overdue to get my first knee replacement done ... with luck before the end of the year.

Comment

My last visit to the doctor he told me I'd better slow down on the wine and red meat because of my kidneys.
                Went home and told the wife how dumb the doctor is even if he is educated. I don't have kidneys anymore I got adult knees.

The wear and tear a result of all the time spent on your knees praying 😊

Glad everything's worked out so far.

Comment

• wu7y
                  wu7y commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A tip o' the hat to you, holehogg! I have been a real fan of puns for a long time. It took me a few seconds to get yours. Nice one.

Congrats on the surgery and best wishes on the therapy. You will be feeling better soon.

Comment

Glad to hear your're doing well! Continued prayers and well wishes from just north of you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis