Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ChefSteps Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ChefSteps Sous Vide

Hi folks! I know several of you are getting into Sous Vide (and I am flirting with the idea) but, ChefSteps, a site I have recently discovered and rather enjoy, is doing a Sous Vide course. I'm not overly familiar with the site but, apparently their income stream is online courses. they seem rather reasonable. The Sous Vide is $7.50. if the info is good, it may well be worthwhile. For much less than the cost of a cookbook you get a focused course with online references, videos and so on. So, I thought I would toss it out to you all.

https://www.chefsteps.com/classes/co...rted/landing#/

@Karon

ChefSteps is a great site. I've learned a lot of different things on there. When I was working on making a big beautiful Brioche hamburger bun for Meathead's Steakhouse Steakburger they were very helpful in how to properly shape the dough and had a video of how to make tart rings out of tin foil.

There is much to learn there.

Comment

I have to say, Brioche is a terrific bread. and, in reality, it is incredibly easy to make for all it is one of the richer breads. I love it because it doesn't need butter, you can taste the butter in the recipe. there really IS a lot! I was reading somewhere, Can't remember if it was chef staeps or somewhere else, about making a soft roll, like the ones the steakhouses serve. I admit, I have ALWAYS love the rolls at Ryan's. they always faintly taste of honey. they are light and soft and relly delicious. I could make a meal of them (though my waist says "don't you DARE) I don't think they would hold up as well for sandwiches, the internal structure is just not strong enough. but, from what I was reading the key is a smaller baking vessel to hold moisture. so, you use a roasting pan to make an oven within an oven to partially bake and partially steam the rolls. unlike most breads who tell you not to put them in plastic until the second day, these actually said put in plastic day one and eat them day two. hmm.

anyway, this was the same site that posted the incredible wall o fire! All the wonderful sites!

Comment

My problem with Chefsteps is some of the exotic ingredients that they call for.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
          My problem with Chefsteps is some of the exotic ingredients that they call for.

DANG!!!!!!!!!! Now I know they go EXOTIC!!!!

"Just add one dash Le Cream de Llama."

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Well, if you have any ethnic market in town, you can always try something novel. HWMO has been regularly patronizing the local Mexican Grocer. Found some terrific items at better prices than we find in the regular chain store. I went in one afternoon and found lots of things I had never tried before. So, I made a rule. From now on, every time HWMO goes to that grocer, he is required to bring home something we have never tried before. so there is always something new to learn and taste.

I brought home a block of Guava Paste (that was the Iberia block Jon noticed in my first video) When I made Panzki at Easter, I used that paste with an equal amount of corn syrup to make a paste to fill the Panzki. It was really yummy!

fine Cooking is highlighting Cuban BBQ this month past (the issue with the Strawberry tart on the cover, and they included that guava paste, used as a swirl in home made ice cream. VERY neat!!

So, finding something new at the Mexican grocery is always a new adventure (PS, I was scandalized when I read they recommended smoking at 350!!)

I buy all my spices at the local Indian Grocery. all kinds of marvelous things come with immigrants, everywhere.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis