Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak Smoke
    replied
    I just wanted to add one final thank you to each of you that responded. Tech help of the quality found here isn't available near us. THANK YOU!

Leave a comment:

• Oak Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    We do have a wall that is an issue. Our house is a mid century ranch. There is a 25 ft high by 30 ft long by 4 ft thick rock wall on the north end of the living room. The router is above and to the west of it in an upstairs bedroom. With the old setup all I had to do was keep the router in the southwest corner of that room and all was well. That is not the case anymore. I know it is workable because it worked before. I'm excited to get the new system, it should fix things right up. Thanks!

• rickgregory
    replied
    I see you ordered the Orbi; good move. When you place them, do make sure that they're not blocked by metal things like file cabinets, furnace, etc. Dense walls or other things can also affect signal. Second, don't place them near a cordless phone if you have one since those also use similar bands to some wifi channels.

Also, if you've not done this, plug directly into the router for the fiber, hit up speedtest.net and check your speed. It should be close to whatever you're paying for, i.e. if you're paying for 100meg and it's 80, fine. If you're paying for 100meg and it's 10? Problem.

Leave a comment:

• GolfGeezer
    commented on 's reply
    Oak Smoke darn, thought that was it. Guess you could try the 5 and see what happens. After that, it definitely gets more complex. I use and extender to get better signal to my backyard and living room which are at the other end of the house from my router. My next setup will probably a mesh. I like Netgear’s Orbi. Not a fan of the Google mesh as it all runs through their servers. Just my preference on that.

• Oak Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    I was amazed at how many receiving devices we have. For a simple retired couple we have 14 of them. Every thing from our printer to the Rumba to my Smobot is connected to wifi.

• Oak Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    When I go back to the settings on my phone and iPad I can choose Asus 2 or Asus 5. I've had both on 2 from the beginning. I was told by the installers that the 2 would reach farther. Even with that though the level of service is much reduced. Thank you for your help.

• GolfGeezer
    replied
    I have an ASUS router and have owned several in the past. I think mountainsmoker has pointed to your issue: it is likely your devices are connecting to the 5 gHz band and not the 2.4 gHz band. Your ASUS is not a mesh network router, so it has the 2 separate bands (as well as probably the ability to setup a guest network for each band). As he states, 5 gHz has more bandwidth, but less distance coverage than the 2 gHz bands. Each band broadcasts its presence with what is called the SSID - that is the name your devices see when you select a WiFi network to connect to.

As others point out, there are methods to improve distance, but since your old router provided good coverage, I really suspect all you need to do is have your devices connect to the 2.4 gHz SSID or WiFi name. Not sure if you just used the default that ASUS provides or if you named them, but I would try that first before delving deeper.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Or simultaneous dual band for both. Beam forming helps a lot too with range. There is another part of the equation too, the NIC in the receiving device as well.

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Regardless of brand, get a mesh wifi router. It makes life so much better. And get a new model, as the technical workings of mesh networks have improved greatly.

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    Wifi comes in 2 frequencies, 2.4 and 5.0. Each has there advantages, most are set for 2.4 as 5.0 has less range. 2.4 has a better distance and works better in a single home. 5.0 while having less distance is good for apartment dwellers as it is less affected by interference.

Leave a comment:

• BFlynn
    replied
    You might be using a higher frequency band than the old router.
    Sometimes the high frequencies don't reach as far. You may be able to switch bands on your router to extend the range.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    replied
    Get a docsis 3.0 cable router modem with 802.11 AC simultaneous dual band router with beam forming.

Leave a comment:

• Oak Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you to both of you. I'll order it after dinner. It sounds exactly like what I need.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    We've got the Orbi too. It works really well, and we have one satellite in a detached garage/in-law apt.

• zero_credit
    replied
    The difference between a regular router like what you have and the mesh network is that the mesh network is a single network that covers you entire house, versus individual small networks that leave openings for dead spots and are vulnerable to network interference from neighbors WiFi networks. It is just a vast vast improvement.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis