Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kitchen cookware recomendations requested.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richinlbrg
    commented on 's reply
    I have my Calphalon from 1991 and with the exception of one pan which the coating has worn off, they are all going strong. But it is difficult to find the cleaner these days, so we don't use them so much anymore.

Having said that, I also have to add that one of the best non-professional cooks I've known is a chemist who had about the crappiest pots and pans I've seen.
    Last edited by richinlbrg; May 30, 2015, 04:59 AM.

• The Burn
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, you can often find good deals at Marshall's Homegoods, but it's hit or miss what they have. I usually stop by there every few weeks just to browse.

• The Burn
    commented on 's reply
    I do this with fresh ginger. But I'm sure I'll shred my fingers on those small garlic cloves :-)

• mgaretz
    commented on 's reply
    I have a 3qt saucepan that I hardly ever use. Too small. I use the 4qt that I referenced above.

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    Didn't even think to ask...almost bought it anyway, but I know I need a 12" and wouldn't use it that much.

• David Parrish
    replied
    John maybe they'll let you order what you want?

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    I have some knives I am happy with, some good ceramics etc. I don't have any complaints with my outside cooking, it's inside that's the problem. I cook pretty much every day inside and my stuff just isn't any good, so I want a few quality pieces that I don't have to worry about.

I tried a few places today and only Homegoods had any all-clad, the great news was they $100 cheaper than anywhere else, the bad news was all that they had were 10" skillets and a tall 7qt pot.

Leave a comment:

• Ernest
    commented on 's reply
    ThePitt Only take it out if it is green. Might cause some gastric discomfort.
    smelly garlic fingers is just part of the cooking process.

• scorched_porch
    replied
    If you don't cook a lot inside, don't waste your money on the higher end gear. I do cook a lot (heavily and every day) and I have old Calphalon (I think from 1989) that has served me well for years - and I take care of it. The only thing I really spend on is copper. There's a line out right now called "Belgique" that Marcus Samuelson put his face on that I was impressed with for price/performance.

It depends on how and what you cook, but spend your money on your knives. My opinion only, your mileage may vary.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I considered an All-Clad a while back. I want to feel good about frying, I like to make ATK's chicken parm recipe every now and then. We have a less-expensive but heavy & stylish one now (forget what brand) and it works ok. So I've never actually pulled the trigger on another.

• mgaretz
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
    I'm wondering if buying cheaper nonstick pans instead of all clad isn't a better option. To my knowledge all non stick will eventually need to be replaced. I know I've bought a nonstick skillet from Chefs.com (it had a "sandwiched" bottom) just like all clad, and it's lasted me a couple years of nearly daily use/abuse, but the non stick is slowly starting to flake off. Thoughts?

All Clad is clad all the way from the bottom to the top of the sides, it's not a disk on the bottom.

I believe you are right, all non-stick will eventually need to be replaced. I've been using my All Clad non-stick for 7 years and it's still going strong, but admittedly I don't use it for everything.

I think the bottom line is this: Cook with what makes you happy and makes cooking a joy instead of a chore. When I use my All Clad it makes me feel better when I cook compared to other brands, and that's what counts in my book!
    Last edited by mgaretz; May 29, 2015, 11:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
    I'm wondering if buying cheaper nonstick pans instead of all clad isn't a better option. To my knowledge all non stick will eventually need to be replaced. I know I've bought a nonstick skillet from Chefs.com (it had a "sandwiched" bottom) just like all clad, and it's lasted me a couple years of nearly daily use/abuse, but the non stick is slowly starting to flake off. Thoughts?

That's the route I take w/ nonsticks. In my opinion you can't go wrong with T-Fal Pros. They might cost $20-30, available at any store that sells pans, and last a good two years of moderate use, more with light use. America's Test Kitchen rates them as a best buy, and I must say I agree. We have one going on either year 3 or 4 right now. Yes it needs replaced but it still works for anything except eggs. Scrambled eggs are your 'how-good-is-my-nonstick-pan' meter.

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Yno
    commented on 's reply
    I think they can have a great written warranty because the things never break.

• _John_
    replied
    Yno Thanks, have you ever had to warranty any of them? Just curious how that process is. When I was a mechanic I got all of my tools at Sears, not only were they cheaper but using the warranty meant swinging by the store, picking up a new one, leaving the old one and getting back to work.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis