Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which table saw should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which table saw should I buy?

I'm looking for a decent table saw for hobby and home use. I'm leaning heavily toward getting a DeWalt because I like their rack and pinion fence system. I see a discontinued 10" DeWalt at a pawn shop for $300. It comes with a stand and has a 24" rip capacity. The other is a brand new 10" DeWalt with a 32.5" rip capacity that comes with a stand for $600. I can also pay $60 more for a 20-volt drill driver which I would be inclined to do. So do I cheap out and get what's likely a very nice saw without warranty? Or do I spend twice as much on a better model with a warranty?

Model # DWE7480
    Click image for larger version

Name:	00404_jGSVap9hUS_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	856601

Model # DWE7491

Name:	dewalt-portable-table-saws-dwe7491rsw708c2-64_1000.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	856600

I would work on the pawn shop and I'm sure they will come off that price!!! With the money you save you can still buy a driver!!

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have any real experience with pawn shops. One issue is that it's in a nearby city so it's less convenient to go there. What might I expect to haggle down to in your opinion? 275? 250? 200?

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      @ Attjack I would start at 200 and not go above 250. Figure at that price if they don’t take it you can just go purchase the new one with a better fence system?

How much are you going to use it? I bought a display model from a small shop as it was only for projects at home. Ten years later it's still going strong..

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Good question. I'm buying it in part because I would like to get back into woodworking but also because my old Rockwell broke and I decided to upgrade rather than repair it. I've never had a very nice table saw. I figure this might be the last table saw I buy.

• lemayp
      lemayp commented
      Editing a comment
      Then I may go the new route if I were in your shoes.

Oh yeah, only the new one accepts dado blades.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Well if you plan on doing cabinets / furniture you'll need that dado. At least as far as I know.
      Last edited by HawkerXP; June 3, 2020, 05:29 PM.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I would not buy one that won't take dado blades. Unless you have a good router table already, that would be indispensable for a lot of furniture or cabinetry work.

I've like all of my Dewalt tools.
    You never know how they've been used though.

If you go the pawn shop route, try it out and make sure it cuts straight.

If you want to haggle, read this
    https://lifehacker.com/crack-the-hid...a-bett-5948519

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Bring a known good square with you to make sure the fence is not out of wack.

Really depends on how much you plan on using it. Ive never had a dewalt tool fail on me. For a table saw, i was only using it to put down some floor and the odd back yard thing here or there so i bought one of the chicago electric cheap brands from harbor freight and it has been totally fine for the once in a while hobby use.

For what you are describing, I personally would be inclined to go the $300 route, especially if they will let you run a few cuts through it first.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I was about to buy that $144 Chicago Electric saw when it occurred to me I should spring for something better.

I can also wait and look at other second hand options. I'm seeing more as I look.

Name:	2DC48493-BBF3-48DF-8B95-01957393354C.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	856634 Ridgid makes a nice light duty unit. I had one at the beginning of my woodworking journey. But all of those type are light duty. I upgraded to a JET cabinet saw very quickly. My point is you really need to think through how you will use it before you buy.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'm not sure I can justify a cabinet saw. I also like the idea of taking the saw to the cabin. Otherwise there is a DeWalt saw on Craigslist that is close to a cabinet saw for only 550. But again I'm drawn to portability and I would like to build a bench around the saw as a project.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice looking shop BTW!

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx for the props on my shop. My safe haven. If You want portability, the Dewalt is one of the highest rated units in that category. Can’t go wrong with it really.

Here's what ya need:

https://www.sawstop.com/build/

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      A couple of years ago I had a case where the client, a professional cabinet maker, got a partial thumb amputation from using a tablesaw. I was talking to my expert prepping for trial. I told him I was a serious amateur woodworker. He asked what kind of saw I owned. Before I could answer, he said, if it's not a SawStop, I don't want to hear it. I said I like them but too rich for my blood. His response: "How much are your fingers worth?" Food for thought.

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Sawstop will be what I eventually replace my Delta table saw with. My grandfather finished his life missing his index finger and tip of his thumb from a table saw accident, and he's the one who taught me to use the tools safely. Plus, they're really good saws!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to add it earlier, but this is a good place. Get familiar with the saw's safety features, how to use them, and make sure you do use them. Kickback and missing digits are no fun.

The other options i would consider are craftsman and kobalt from lowes. Quality of craftsman seems to have shot back up since lowes acquired them from sears and i have always like their kobalt brand. Caveat there is that i have not used any of the saws from either brand.
    Last edited by grantgallagher; June 4, 2020, 04:35 AM.

Comment

I got the newer Dewalt with stand. Gotta say I love the thing. I was more used to a really lavish cast iron Powermatic precision table saw in my career. I knew this would not be that precise, but I am VERY surprised at how good the thing is once you take some good quality time and "really" set this thing up. Very precise, and most of all it has been very repeatable. This is a job site saw by design, but it can make a dang great shop saw as well when you spend some time with it. I have mine set up mostly for doing guitar amps. With some jigs, it is really fun to use.

Name:	IMG_9545.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	856660

Name:	IMG_7093 2.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	856661

Name:	IMG_5233.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	856662

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        That work is true craftsmanship....
        Man I'm jealous

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice work, Lonnie. My urge to be economical is running headlong into my urge to buy that saw.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice "joining"!

depending on what kind of work you're planning on doing consider a track saw? for larger panels I use it WAY more than my table saw...much easier to handle the stock, and easy to store (if that matters). Just an alternative thought.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea if you're working sheet stock. The newer ones are awesome. I have a vertical panel saw in my shop that I use about as much as my table saw. Otherwise I would have a track saw. Festool. 👍
        Last edited by Jfrosty27; June 3, 2020, 06:28 PM.

With saws its go big or go home, probably a good deal for the smaller capacity but there's those few days a year when size matters and your under sawed.
      Your saving a good $90ish on the drill driver which takes the difference between the two saws down to $200.
      The warranty thing is MEH to me, by the time anything goes wrong the warranty is usually expired anyway

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I would also be getting a fresh blade instead of an old one.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack Oh hell, buy both one for home, one for the cabin
        In my country a mans wealth is measured in how many table saws he owns....

Looks small for what you plan to do with it. I say get the most saw you can afford. "I wish I got the smaller, less powerful saw," said no one ever. If you get a small, jobsite-type saw you will put a lot of effort, time and money trying to get it to perform like the saw you wish you'd bought. Don't ask me how I know this. If you have 220V available where you will be using it, I strongly suggest getting at least a 3HP cabinet saw.

Comment

Older craftsman table saws can often be found on craigslist in the $100-$150 range. Not portable, but it's a cheap and decent bridge between the underpowered jobsite saws and the really spendy cabinet saws. If I ever build a real shop, I'll invest in a sawstop, but until then my craftsman will do. Woodshop tools have their own variant of MCS. Nicer blade. . . better fence . . . ooh, now I need a jointer. . . imagine what I could do with that CNC router.

Good luck.

Comment

• Dan Deter
          Dan Deter commented
          Editing a comment
          For a number of years I fed my Woodshop MTS through estate sales. Never understood my friends who went to estate sales until they pointed me at ones where there was a shop included. Got some great deals that way. I still have a bunch of stuff on my wishlist, just can't justify spending even estate sale prices right now...maybe when the kid's out of college...

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          My saw it's a '70s era craftsman "bench saw" with a stand which I bought 25 or more years ago from a neighbor for around $100. It's been great. That said, I have put a lot of time, effort and money into getting it "up to snuff." New T-square-style rip fence, Kreg precision miter fence, extension side table (shop built), V-link drive belt, etc. It's still underpowered, but I only have 110 into my shop, so it's all I can use. Ripping hardwood thicker than 3/4 is a bit of a chore, for sure.

One of my neighbors picked up one of these suckers... https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/p...-c3-41-p142828. Delivery was interesting as they were expecting a loading dock and not a driveway...

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw a demo of the Hammer combo unit at a woodworking show. Truly an amazing machine! But very pricey. Can't remember the actual price but it made the Sawstop cabinet saw seem cheap.

• Dan Deter
          Dan Deter commented
          Editing a comment
          Ain't that the truth. For some reason there's a bunch of woodworking hobbyists in my suburban neighborhood, but only one who can drop the cash for something like that...

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis