Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Trophy for Friendly Neighborhood Comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Trophy for Friendly Neighborhood Comp

So, my next-door neighbour and I do like grilling. We're planning on a rib competition fairly soon where we each do some ribs and the kids and adults will blind taste test the results. I've long thought it would be highly amusing to present a little BBQ trophy to the winner, but SWMBO considers the expenditure a tad frivolous. Looking at various trophy websites, the available BBQ trophies look well, a little low quality and pricey for the serious nature of this competition. Samples below:

https://www.crownawards.com/StoreFro...s.cat-Trophies

What would y'all suggest as a cheap alternative or as a creative alternative to memorialize the winner here?

FWIW, I am planning on doing blasphemy ribs and Blue's chipotle raspberry sauce on a second rack.

Comment

zero_credit You coud go to the dollar store, buy a spatula and spray paint it gold. Maybe mount it on a chunk of wood.

Comment

• zero_credit
        zero_credit commented
        Editing a comment
        This idea is definately growing on me, particularly if I can find one of those little stands that would hold it aloft.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Everyone has a trophy stuck in a box somewhere. They usually just screw together, modify for your own homemade trophy.

In my neighborhood, we started holding an annual chili cook-off every fall few years ago. After not having a trophy for the winner the first year, and not finding any good ones to buy on the cheap, I got the idea to look around on Craigslist for old trophies. Lo and behold, I found a goldmine of old car show trophies some guy was just giving away for free. I decided to go big or go home, and I found one that would work. I just had to strip it down and make it no longer a car show trophy. A cheap set of stainless steel bowls from Target, and I was in business.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20171020_174200.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.68 MB ID:	856057Click image for larger version  Name:	20171026_195356.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	856058

Last edited by Steve R.; June 2, 2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Clever

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Is it a traveling trophy?

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        texastweeter Yes, and it hasn't been in my house since I handed it off to that year's winner in fall of 2017.

For small, friendly competitions, I think the weirder the better.
      We used to pass around an old pool trophy from the 90s, (that we were given from a bar) between us, whenever we got together to play shuffle board.
      I was in a fantasy football league and the winner got a pair of boot - flip flops. They're exactly what they sound like.....
      The guys I grew up going on long backpack and kayak trips - we had a wooden paddle that we burned names into. Whoever did the most "bad ass" thing on that trip, got the paddle until the next trip.

Find something from the garage. Modify it some way to make it unique. Have repeat competitions and pass it back and forth.
      The braggin rights are more important than the object.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Bumby
        Bumby commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome. Does the winner have to wear the boot flops? What does the loser have to do?

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes - winner got to wear the boot flops for a year.

I can not speak about the loser punishment in public.

But as the league no longer exists, and I was the last winner, I am still in possession of the boot flops

We have one of these getting passed back and forth.

https://www.faroutawards.com/bbq-rib...SABEgLSu_D_BwE
      Attached Files

Comment

• zero_credit
        zero_credit commented
        Editing a comment
        This one, admittedly, has been the favorite that I've found thus far as well.

• TJMagneto
        TJMagneto commented
        Editing a comment
        It's Beautiful!

How about a dirty, no longer used grill grate? I'll bet I have one laying about somewhere...

Comment

Here are a couple I have won...

One was a standard trophy and the other was a spatula they had engraved and with a ribbon tied on it.

Both were just little friendly community competitions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B61FF851-6541-4E4E-9903-E495733B5986.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	856143

Name:	80AF9200-1E3B-462F-A07D-365646BD7C1E.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	856144

Name:	E360E705-CC0E-4379-A6A8-10F4F861ACCE.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	856145

Comment

• zero_credit
          zero_credit commented
          Editing a comment
          The engraved spatula idea is a good one!

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          You can engrave a running tally of the winners

• zero_credit
          zero_credit commented
          Editing a comment
          Even better!

well i can see that you want to go the serious trophy route, but if you looking for something funny:

https://www.trophies2go.com/horses-b...er-trophy.html
        Attached Files

Comment

spraypaint a smokey Joe gold, and mount to a round of laquered oak. I bet you can find the Joe for damn near free on CL, and if you have a chainsaw, the round is free to. $4 bottle of gold paint, and viola

Comment

A pile of clean rib bones (boil the meat off to clean and sterilize). Glue them in a creative stack and then spray paint them - mount to an attractive chunk of wood, or an approopriate plate; add appropriate verbage.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis