Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ten Athletes I Most Love To Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ten Athletes I Most Love To Watch

This is a thing on Facebook, and people post a picture each day for ten days. I thought it might be fun here, so if you're interested, drop a few pics of athletes you love to watch, past or present. Here's all ten that I posted to Facebook.

Day 1 - Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C9EA3A52-8B4A-4EDD-9BC5-744B17234D4F_4_5005_c.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	36.8 KB ID:	855462
    Day 2 - Randy "The Big Unit" Johnson
    Click image for larger version  Name:	F6421E06-CEC1-4EC4-859D-B09935B91A3D.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	85.6 KB ID:	855463
    Day 3 - Edgar Martinez
    Click image for larger version  Name:	531817FD-C5CE-440A-802A-A55582697BA1.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	217.6 KB ID:	855466
    Day 4 - The Mahre Brothers, Phil won Gold in the slalom at Sarajevo, 1984
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4BCD4183-B37B-4519-B7C7-7FFAEAA61695.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	58.5 KB ID:	855464
    Day 5 - Mike Tyson
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C4265F21-97E2-4922-8965-B5A4B9AADACA.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	190.0 KB ID:	855465
    Day 6 - Muhammad Ali
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1A4207ED-17B7-4210-A62B-683BEE254984.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	855468
    Day 7 - Pete Rose
    Click image for larger version  Name:	B3A0F9A9-83BF-4288-B347-C7CC3596F730.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	90.7 KB ID:	855469
    Day 8 - Ken "The Snake" Stabler
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BC73C6ED-1223-452E-B17C-35150B1EE2E7.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	98.6 KB ID:	855471
    Day 9 - Russell Wilson
    Click image for larger version  Name:	AB69BF2D-A0FD-4D13-817A-A255C3D1768B.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	101.0 KB ID:	855467
    Day 10 - Marshawn "Beast Mode" Lynch
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E8E1324C-45D5-4DF5-B345-2AA6E4A550E1_4_5005_c.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	855470
    Last edited by ecowper; June 1, 2020, 01:03 PM.

Ain't even a Sports Fan, never has tripped my trigger, but I'll tell yall what: This SumBiscuitEeater, was Absotively, Posilutely Mothra Forkin MAGNIFICENT! I ain't NEVER seen me somebody could match his moves....

As a personal aside, it is my honour to have known him very well, an he was my assistant Gym Coach fer one semester at West Junior High,
    He lived here in LFK fer quite some time; usedta run into him time to time at Rusty's IGA, not certain where he is presently at, but do unnerstand he's havin some Medical Issues.
    He's a very introverted, sweet, carin, givin, kind-hearted man, an I am blessed to know him.

Ain't Never seen any afore, or since,seen nobody can Cut n Run Like ol' Black Magic/ Kansas Comet'...
    Also know Bobby Bell, he even had a lil BBQ place, here in town, an was a Family friend...

This'd all be excitin, if I gave a Rodent's Patootie bout sports, but jus axe: I can rival ol Forrest, as to who have I met / do I know...I never drag nunna dat out, but ya Did ask...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 1, 2020, 12:53 PM.

Comment

No particular order (only 9, had to go back to work):
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Barry Sanders.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	855514
      Barry Sanders

Name:	Earl Campbell.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	855515
      Earl Campbell

Name:	marvin-hagler.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	855516
      Marvin Hagler

Name:	Al Kaline.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	855517
      Al Kaline - Detroit Tigers

Name:	Jordan.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	855518
      Jordan

Name:	Kareem.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	855519
      Kareem

Name:	Jim Browm.png
Size:	604.4 KB
ID:	855520 ​​​​​​
      Jim Brown

Name:	Ali.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	855521
      Ali, of course

Name:	Denny McClain.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	855522
      Denny McClain, Detroit Tigers

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Many years ago I went to medical aid for an older guy having chest pains. After getting him situated I started asking the usual questions. When I asked his name he said "Mickey Lolich". I said something like wow, you were on that great '68 Tigers team when McClain won 31 games. Mickey bristled and said "Well I won 3 World Series games AND beat Bob Gibson!" It was an awesome moment! When we got him to the ER it turns out the ER Doc went to medical school in Michigan and was at Game 7 in '68.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike, I almost went with Mickey instead of Denny, but Denny's kick in his motion is awesome.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Earl Campbell is a great pick.
        Punishing runner with speed is a hard combo to beat.

One of these days I’ll learn the cut n’ paste thing. So just visualize my friends, klflowers showed Ali, never saw him live but watched on some sort of current video & listened to the Liston fight on my transitor. Ditto on #20 Sanders another one that was unbelievable, also did get to see Jim Brown, whoa! Workin at Tiger Stadium for 5 years, I got to see Kaline daily along with McClain, Horton, Lolich & Freehan. Frequent visitors that stand out we’re Mantle, Whitey Ford who showed me how he gripped his curve ball, Frank Howard, Koufax at an AllStar game we’re the distinct ones. Then there is #9 Gordie Howe, the greatest of them all, whom my dad named me after, along with the Big M, Hull & Mikita, Sawchuk & others. In recent times since I moved to WI there was the one of a kind Packer. Some have passed in stats, Super Bowl played & won & other measures, but there will only be one that brought the unknown to expect like the “gunslinger” Brett Favre. I know that’s more than 10, I think, but I didn’t take up much room, & for those who have seen the likes of these, what a picturesque memory drive.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Gates Brown was one of my favorites too. Bill Freehan, Mickey Lolich, Willie Horton, Al - those guys were my heros. I used to hang around Tiger Stadium all the time, trying to sneak in. Plus some of the Pistons - Bob Lanier, Dave Bing, Howie Comives. Dave Bing went to our church. I played ball with them in the police athletic league in the summers. I forgot about Gordie - we lived a long walk from Olympia Stadium. I was young though, so I walked to several Red Wings games.

I always appreciated how Barry Sanders could just flit around like a hummingbird on legs.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I hated the way his career ended. They never built a team around him. Just like they did with Billy Sims before him.

Tiger Woods. Hands down the best.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Golf is like auto racing, horse racing, curling
        Athletics are involved but its more skill

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Still hasn't beaten Jack's accomplishments overall. He sets the "Golden" standard when it comes to golf. With 18 professional majors, two US Amateurs, three Players titles, 73 PGA Tour victories, 10 Champions Tour trophies and 115 worldwide victories in all, he's still the best golfer in history.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Tiger is the best golfer, but.... I was at Augusta when Jack won in 86 - it was one of the best sporting events I have seen. I took up the game the Monday after. Plus back when Jack, Arnold, Chi Chi Rodriguez, Lee Trevino, Calvin Peete, Tom Watson and those guys played it was more entertaining. They talked sh*% on the tees, made bets on the course during tourneys, just made the game more interesting. Guys these days (except maybe Bubba) are pretty boring.

Bo Jackson
      Michael Jordan
      Tiger Woods
      Mike Tyson
      Greg Maddux
      Wayne Gretzky
      Joe Montana-Jerry Rice-Dwight Clark
      Deion Sanders
      Floyd Mayweather
      Michael Phelps

Comment

In no particular order:

Bo Jackson
        Michael Jordan
        Larry Bird
        Joe Montana
        Walter Payton
        Chipper Jones
        Randy Johnson
        Greg Maddox
        Tony Gwynn
        Pete Rose
        Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          you got Randy Johnson in the wrong uniform ;-)

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper, yep and I apparently need to work on my photo attaching skills. Fun thread though

• KarchyBBQ
          KarchyBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on Maddox. He was an artist.

Bo Jackson
        Bobby Orr
        Doug Flutie
        Barry Sanders
        Ali
        Earl Thomas
        Csonka/Kiick/Warfield at Miami
        Gordie Howe
        Lawrence Taylor
        Johnny Manziel at A&M not pro
        My list FWIW, doing lists like this is next to impossible as sports stars are generational, regional and in some cases not even seen
        NBA was rarely shown in Canada into the 70's even MLB we got the baseball game of the week Saturday afternoons until the Expo's came to Montreal. Most of what I remember seeing came off ABC"s Wide World of Sports until cable TV came along.
        If the rabbit ears were working and the wind blowing the right way we could get some of the Buffalo stations, dude, the ultimate....

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          smokin fool Not to pound on poor Johnny, he has as you mentioned, a lot of personal demons. He comes from a good family but never learned how to handle the booze and drugs. Yea he had a knack in college of making things happen through shear will power and unconventional play. His whole career hinges on beating Alabama in 2012. Added to all that is I'm a UT fan and just don't like A&M football anyway, so there's that !!!

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman 10-4 great dialogue
          I was a UT fan long before my nieces and nephew ever went to A&M so I picked up that flag too.
          One name I omitted from my list was Earl Campbell, punishing runner with speed to back it up.
          Also, he's a Longhorn

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          smokin fool I had the distinct please of watching he Pearl in both college and with the Oilers. Definitely one of the best brute running backs of all time. Unfortunately he gave up his body and they took out his knees. Man is basically a cripple. Has his own sausage company in east Texas, he shows up at events from time to time. Sadly, he's a shell of his former self, but yea I love that guy !!

No particular order...

Jim Thorpe

Name:	Jim Thorpe.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	855837

Jesse Owens

Name:	Jesse Owens.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	855842

Rocky Marciano

Name:	Rocky Marciano.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	855839

Babe Ruth

Name:	Babe-Ruth.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	855836

Ty Cobb

Name:	Ty Cobb.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	855844

Bo Jackson

Name:	Bo Jackson.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	855838

Nolan Ryan

Name:	Nolan Ryan.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	855840

Larry Bird

Name:	larry-bird-legend.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	855843

James Brown

Name:	Jim-Brown.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	855845

Ted Williams

Name:	Ted-Williams.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	855841

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, Nolan Ryan. He was the man on the mound.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman yeah, but I never got to watch Babe play :-(

• Blues1
          Blues1 commented
          Editing a comment
          And he started out as a pitcher...

Too many to mention, but the ones I have actually watched play
        Joe Cool and Company
        Mays and McCovey
        Will Clark
        Madison Bumgarner
        The Dreaded Barry Bonds
        And many other great SF Giants/Niners

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers yes, Bonds was an amazing batter. He never needed the steroids. Sad that he chose to do that.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Plus, his understanding and command of the game is phenomenal.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          On a side note, I had breakfast with George Foster and Lee Smith one morning while attending Spring Training a few years ago. My table was next to theirs and I said hello to them. We exchanged pleasantries when George asked me to join them. I'm not a fan boy, but those men were so kind and easy to be with. I always thought Lee was the meanest man in baseball at the time, but he's a very soft-spoken gentle man. George is hilarious!

Name:	77b4277608bf1589e18fb7219b77cd53.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	855936 Dr. J

Name:	06b33568e8321134a8534a54f9fb6ae7.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	855937 The Hitman

Name:	8245970b08c15a9a2fa46e6c38c28199.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	855938 The Juice (ok, he had a few off the field issues, but athletically, one of the greats. Only person to break 2000 yards in a 14 game season) Click image for larger version

Name:	636430845747249017-ben-roethlisberger.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	855939 Big Ben

Name:	420x0.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	855935
        Lynn Swann

With all due respect to Ali and Jordan, but there are already several pics of them

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I went to a lot of Tommy Hearns' fights back in the day in Detroit. His fight with Hagler is still one of the best fights I have seen.

Don’t have time to post photos, it’ll try to come back to it later. You should know who most if not all these guys are.

Lemieux
        Crosby
        Jager
        Paul Coffey
        Joe Greene
        Jack Lambert
        Stallworth - Bradshaw (Can’t have one without the other)
        Jordon
        Ali
        Tiger Woods

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw Lemieux’s first game, he scored on his first shot. I saw him score from behind the net, bounced the puck off the goalie’s back. It was like watching a man playing against teenagers.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          My buddy was a neighbour and grew up with Paul Coffey in Malton, Ontario.
          The kid was a prodigy, hockey 24/7 to the detriment of everything else.
          Sadly with that the big joke was, great hockey player, too bad he can't spell hockey.
          He's more than made up for it, made millions playing and owns a very successful Nissan dealership in Kitchener.

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca Lemieux is, not arguably, the best player to play the sport. Had he had a healthy back and the talent 99 had surrounding him, not even Oiler fans could make an argument.

And what he has done for hockey in Pittsburgh AFTER his retirement could arguably be more important for the city than when he played. It kills me some young ignorant punk defaced his statue the other day,

There’s a reason why Lemieux wore 66, it’s 99 upside down.

There's always this infamous pitch ....

https://youtu.be/1PyCpG06138

Comment

Hey ecowper, we even rented him for a playoff run....(pre-garbage can banging era)

Former Yankees pitcher Randy Johnson drops price on gorgeous ...

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            yep, I remember that. Once he got his stuff together in the early 90's, Randy Johnson was the dominant pitcher of the AL for a decade.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis