Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On Catsup and Hot Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Catsup and Hot Dogs

I'm feeling a bit cranky today, so I want to proclaim that catsup (NOT "ketchup") and hot dogs are natural companions and da**ed fine eats. The perfect dog is one of those big Hebrew Nationals, regular or Polish, from Costco, slowly grilled until GB&D, topped with raw, diced onion, caramelized onion, spicy brown mustard, and catsup, then served on a toasted bun. Every bit as good as a well grilled medium rare rib eye! Catsup and the dog; a marriage made in heaven. :«)

People who tell other people what to put on their food... I dunno. Have too much time on their hands, I guess. I think it's your hot dog, do what makes you happy!

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen

Amen, Mosca! Like Harry Soo said - something to the effect of there is no right or wrong in Qing. Just what you like!

Comment

I wrote my post in response to this heretical article: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/hot_d..._hot_dogs.html

Heresy cannot go unchallenged!

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I've done a hot dog with mustard/ketchup/relish/onion, but only maybe once every few years. I don't usually put ketchup on them, and never without those other three things. But those are my hot dogs. You do what you want to yours.

This is one of those things where the arguing is supposed to be more fun than the actual answer, like chili with beans and tomatoes. But I'm getting old, and I've always been a peacenik, and my natural personality is mediator. It's too much effort to sustain the argument, for me. It's fun enough, but I don't have the energy for prolonged discussion.

But at my house you'll have to ask for the ketchup. I'll give it to you, but you'll have to ask (There, I've done my part!)

My personal preference for Dawgs is Mustard and Onions... and relish once a year.

I have watched people ruin hot dogs with Catsup and Ketchup... also have seen a lot of ruined scrambled eggs with Catsup and Ketchup too... but I respect their freedom to 'ruin' their dish of food they way they want!

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Food is a very personal thing. My mother loved liver and onions, it made me puke. I imagine there are those that don't like the Last Meal Ribs and that is just crazy!

I'm with Smarkley on hot dogs. A good bun a Hebrew National dog add ball park mustard and chopped onions. Some grated cheddar cheese sometimes.

No Catsup or Ketchup for me!

Ever have one of those bacon/cheese/grilled onion dogs on a pretzel bun from Sonic? Goodness, I can feel my arteries hardening as I type this. It needs neither catsup nor ketchup.

I needs to find me some pretzel buns...

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
        Every bit as good as a well grilled medium rare rib eye!
        I think we are eating different ribeyes Yankees don't like the red stuff, but what do they know anyway, they don't even fry bologna.

Comment

• Drbearsec
          Drbearsec commented
          Editing a comment
          I grew up in the south, I love fried and smoked Bologna, and still feel putting ketchup/catsup is an affront to mankind and everyone's $diety of choice.

I am as Yankee as they come (I think). To prove that, I call it "pop" not soda, I say "you guys" not "y'all", there are no Sonny's withing 6 hrs me. To me good weather is anything between 55 and 80. Tolerable weather is anything below 55 on into -20s. Simply intolerable weather is anything above 90. Anyway, I like fried bologna John ​

I can't find "catsup" in any store, only "ketchup" and it's usually a choice of Heinz or store brand. I like when things are spelled phonetically, lol.

To me the perfect dog matters less the brand, but must be yellow mustard in a cute little zig-zag across the dog, and dill relish if avail. The perfect delux dog is chili, mustard and cheese. My father would rather die than eat a hot dog, but he's strange with food. He makes omelets with Velveeta and celery....

Food is as personal as your shirt, your dog and your spouse!

Comment

• Jonoaf
          Jonoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Not too far off on your hot dog toppings. You don't sound too bad for a Yankee. However "Pop" is what happens when I back talk my mother. Around here it's usually soda, or even just "Coke"..regardless of what type of soda you are drinking.

Edit- Almost forgot. My next door neighbor is named Sonny.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          boftx, I take it in Vegas you say soda, and 90* is pleasant cooler weather, and you don't fry bologna? Are we still friends?
          Jonoaf I just cannot say "soda" without sounding like my pinky should be out ...lol..(no offense to those who say it, just a cultural thing). On my wife & I's honeymoon in early 2002 we drove from MI to the FL Keys. We ate at a few Sonny's on the trip. I remember loving it, especially their sauce. I am told their meat isn't as great as what I remember before I got into BBQ.

• Jonoaf
          Jonoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          We actually don't have any Sonny's in Virginia (some folks don't consider Va to be "The South" anymore anyway. We do have Dickey's, Famous Dave's, and Shane's Rib Shack (the best of the 3, IMHO) Frankly, I wish we had more roadside/mom n pop BBQ around. The few that I've seen aren't much to write home about though.

Creamy slaw. And by creamy I mean it is made with Duke's mayo, no substitutes. Mustard is optional. And someof you call yourselves Southerners.

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Correction - Suhthuhnuhs. Phonetics. LOL

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          You spelled Blue Plate mayo wrong

• Frankenstein
          Frankenstein commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you have to call that "oil and egg white spread" John. It's a legal thing.

Rule #1 = no rules in cooking and bedrooms. No means no.

Hot dogs do not have chili. Chili dogs do, and they have onions, too.

Pop is an upper Midwest word. It goes no farther east than western PA.

Duke's mayo ROCKS!

Fried bologna = ohhh, man. Nuff said.

Speaking of dogs, Huskee, how is your new family member?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          He's well, and growing like a weed, thanks for asking!

Originally posted by richinlbrg View Post

Hot dogs do not have chili. Chili dogs do, and they have onions, too.
        And mustard. Yellow, ballpark style.
        Pop is an upper Midwest word. It goes no farther east than western PA.
        In texas, everything was a 'Coke'
        Duke's mayo ROCKS!
        never heard of such a monstrosity.
        Fried bologna = ohhh, man. Nuff said.
        Agreed. Eeew.
        Speaking of dogs, Huskee, how is your new family member?
        So...there.

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          We are pretty much in agreement.

I highly recommend you give Duke's a shot.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't find Duke's mayo, but it sure seems like ya'll (I'm practicing my southernness) are obsessed with Duke's. Duke's Duke's Duke's is what I read on so many comments, lol. I enjoy Kraft mayo since I've never tried Duke's..

• Jonoaf
          Jonoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee, you can buy Duke's on Amazon. It deserves to go national like Sweet Tea did.

Everything is indeed Coke. These people probably haven't even had peanuts in it! There are places in this country you can't even get sweet tea if you can believe it.

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Mentos and Diet Coke is what you want.

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL i don't really drink coke any-more - it's too sweet for me now ...and the diet stuff is awefull IMO
          Last edited by Steve Vojtek; May 28, 2015, 08:23 AM.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife is TN born, and she is obsessed with sweet tea. I don't care for it at all. If I drink tea which is maybe twice a year it must be unsweetened. And I put sugar on my grits, I treat them like cream of wheat (farina). Coke means a Coke, not just any pop.

One thing we all agree on- BBQ is awesome.

I worked for Hillshire (formerly Sara Lee) who owns Ball Park, one of the guys had this old shirt from years before and I loved it so he gave it to me.
        They say he is a monster for trying to use ketchup and mankind is trying to stop him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kong.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	85662

Comment

Luvin' it! Pop--YES! Catsup--YES! Brown (REAL!!!) mustard--YES! Liver--yeccch!

Comment

I also have tomato sauce and mustard on my dogs - but than again i'm an aussie - i eat vegemite - meat pies - dim sims and potato cakes ... to each his own

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
              Steve Vojtek commented
              Editing a comment
              Just to add i would still prefer a medium rare ribeye to a hot dog any time...but to each his own....

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          Rubs Promo
          Meat-Up in Memphis