Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prayers Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers Needed

I know this is a BBQ forum, but you folk are friends and I talk to you more some days than folks I know face to face.

It’s been a heck of a week here, with every day since Memorial Day a whirlwind of doctors office visits and tests. Not for me, but for my wife of 30 years. She has been diagnosed with colon cancer as of yesterday, and for the moment, while we wait on all the scans and test results to be presented to us on Monday, she has to stay on a ‘mushy food’ or liquid diet - nothing that would cause a blockage. Surgery will be in the next week or two we hope - right now they are having issues getting a robotic operating room scheduled, due to the big backlog of surgeries that were pushed back for a couple of months during lock down.

I know once she recovers, Lord willing, I’m going to have to cook very little red meat, lots of veggies and fish, from what I am reading about diet requirements for colon cancer survivors. We are trying not to read much about it actually, so I’ve stopped looking. Too much negative information on the Internet. The most solid food she can eat this weekend is mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes according to the nurse, so I smoked some tonight. No meat, so protein shakes for now.

Last night we told our kids, today we started telling our parents and siblings, and folks at our church. Now I’m telling you, my BBQ brethren, as every prayer is appreciated. If you want to lift her up in prayer, her name is Yvonne - I am Jim. We meet the surgeon Monday afternoon to find out how extensive things are from today’s scan.

Thanks.

Jim in Huntsville, Alabama.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Will definitely be praying for you and your family.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - much appreciated.

My heart goes out to yall, an prayers will be sent on a regular basis.

One good bit of news is that lotsa thangs can be put in/on mashed taters to make each meal different
    I'm certain that th docs will tell ya what to avoid, given her particular medical situation
    Hit me up PM, anytime, ahm'a shoot ya my cell, Brother...

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks brother Morris. She liked the smoke as a spice for sure. No cheese or such would be good right now. Maybe tomorrow I’ll make her some gravy.

She can’t have these every meal, and mostly needs to be doing liquids, but wanted something to fill her belly. Yesterday she ate some beans from a can after having clear liquids only for 2 days of testing!
      Last edited by jfmorris; May 29, 2020, 09:17 PM.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yall got a food processor, ninja, magic bullet, etc. ? Can make some protein drinks, smoothies, etc. Blender works too. much more fillin than broth only diet, but do what yall's Doc sez, now, an even moreso, after surgery...

Smoke flavour can be added in many ways, an we'll talk bout this in depth, in th days to come...

Mash taters can be thinned down in many ways, as well: milk, cream, sour cream, ranch dressin, etc. to provide a consistency that meets orders, an some variety + full
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 30, 2020, 07:00 PM.

Thoughts and prayers comin' your way for sure.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ron.

Will be thinking of y'all in these trying times. Try not to stress too much as it's not going to help. Maybe time to think about investing in some frog mats to stop fish sticking to the grill.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - I think I have a couple rolled up in with my BBQ stuff, just never used them. We are doing our best to have a good weekend, she is doing an all liquid diet today.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      If only 1 thing in life is guaranteed it is fish sticking to a bbq grill. Hang in there buddy...

Thoughts and prayers to you, your wife and family.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - much appreciated!

Thought and prayers big time coming her/your way. I have a number of friends that have survived and hopefully she can join those ranks.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - we like to hear stories of positive outcomes. To often you have someone come tell you how someone they know of had the same condition and died.

Hang in there, Jim. The worst thing you can do is give up. We went through something similar 14 years ago. SWMBO is still very much in charge, mean as a snake, and a force to be reckoned with. Modern medicine is pretty amazing ... and I’m seriously hoping your outcome is no different.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - glad to hear she is going strong 14 years later!

Sorry to hear about this Jim. I wish the best for her, and you. One day this will be but a past memory.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Aaron, and I am sure you are right.

You got it. Please keep us posted. Cancer sucks, but, more treatable now than ever before.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - and you are right. We hope this was caught early enough to not have spread, but will have a better picture of that on Monday.

All my prayers to your wife, you and your family. When I came out of surgery for my broken hip they put me on Ensure a protein drink to keep my strength and get my blood numbers up. Don't know if she could handle that but that is one way to get protein to her while she is waiting if is allowed. God bless and may everything go all right.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

I had eggs and she had a protein drink for breakfast - my oldest daughter brought a couple dozen of them over and stuck them in our fridge yesterday.

Sorry to hear that and here’s wishing her a successful surgery and recovery.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks very much!

Prayers to you and the family. Don't get freaked out (I'm on my second distinct one, and this one doesn't have a good prognosis for most folks, though I don't have one yet because I'm not far enough into treatment). The thing is there's a wide range of individual outcomes for most people with any given kind of cancer, and tolerances and ways of progressing - or of going into remission. Best thing is a great oncologist who has a good professional support network. But I'm sure you've done that work. Keep cooking what you love and learn new things too! Spirit up, and use your optimism to your family's advantage! My wife saves my butt daily.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Reckon ya already know, yer ever in my thoughts, an prayers, Brother.
      Wishin ya a speedy recovery!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Friends!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      @Mr. Bones
      Your case was particularly interesting. Detection of this thing happened in late Dec (Christmas Eve to be exact). The initial diagnosis came a week or so later. Well, the night before, you sent 3-4 messages checking in on me. I thought that was quite coincidental! Serendipitous even, maybe. Anyway, I don't want to be hijacking Jim and Yvonne's thread here!

Best wishes to Yvonne and you.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Robert!

Trusting for all the strength and all the best for you and your family.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - appreciate it!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis