Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's no wonder most people suck at grilling. With advice like this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's no wonder most people suck at grilling. With advice like this...

I love Mentalfloss, but occasionally they really drop the ball. Most people know about trying to tell the doneness of steak using your palm, but they suggest using your face.

John , wow, that's really crazy!

Comment

Now that's funny.......

Comment

Go look at the comment below the article concerning Chuck Yeager.

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice, i'll take mine truffle shuffle

#Idiots!

Comment

For a moment I thought planting the face on the steak while it's still on the grill.

Comment

• The Burn
            The Burn commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL - that's exactly what my first thought was, that they were telling you to lean into the heat...

Imagine watching some guy grilling some steaks and touching his sweaty face - then the steaks - then the face again and so on.. that would be funny! But i wouldn't eat the steak. The biggest problem with these ' touchy - feely ' methods is that everyone's face or hand is different. Also every steak is different depending on cut and quality of meat. Instant read thermometer is and always will be the best method - experience also helps...

Comment

Food52 is the source of this article not MentalFloss.

To their credit they do acknowledge the best way is to use a dig thermo. If I forgot mine I would just wing it like the old days, or cut my steak open & peek long before I'd poke my cheek.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
              Steve Vojtek commented
              Editing a comment
              I've never been afraid to cut & peek especially when cooking a barbie at work - some like it medium rare others well done. I usually cut just an inch or so to have a look. Even the cut ones get eaten. I've also used my 2 sous vide cookers for convenience with a quick reverse sear to great success. I've never poked my hand or face. Call it experience or instinct but somehow i know when a steak is close and cutting it in most cases just confirms it and they're off the grill. It's not rocket science after all - it's just steak and if i get it wrong no-one dies ....

Originally posted by Steve Vojtek View Post
            The biggest problem with these ' touchy - feely ' methods is that everyone's face or hand is different...experience also helps...
            True, but the individual can learn over time what feels like what. I've used this method for years and years, and still do sometimes. I am rarely off. I guess 30+ years will do that.

It's really cool that technology is making outdoor cooking almost foolproof, but there's nothing wrong with being a caveman. I am a total luddite, and I will tell you a secret. Yesterday I used a thermometer in chicken breast for the first time in my life. They turned out no better or worse than in the past, the only difference was I didn't have to cut one open to check.

We used to have to remember telephone numbers, read maps, count back change, etc. None of those are bad skills.

Comment

Usernamevalid I agree with you. I may not have 30+years experience (although i'm 45) but till a few years ago i had no cooking skills (late starter here) The modern tools help me but sometimes i'm a caveman too and just wing it with usually great results. I have done a lot of learning and research on the net and that led me to AR. The chicken breast has been an Achilles heel to me except sous vide or steaming it. I still have to master it on the grill - steaks i got down pat. Remembering phone numbers is a great skill i wish i could master - i can't even remember my own .. That's what my smarter-than-me phone is for ..

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Chicken breast... 2 zone cooking. Get your grill to 225 degrees. Use the indirect side until it gets to 140 degrees. Sear it lightly on the direct side until it reaches 160 degrees. It will be tender and moist on the inside.

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Wartface
                I haven't done breasts for months (except whole bird) since i spent a whole week trying to perfect them indoors from various techniques from the net - with mixed results. Usually i reach for thighs or wings. Now that i have a kettle i'll have to revisit them soon cause they're awesome done right...

Huskee caught me doing a rare caveman style a while ago on a quick cook. But I always use tongs to feel the meat, never a finger!

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL - so you didn't feel your cheek?

NO

LOL

Nor did the tongs feel my cheek!

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                LMAO....i guess we all have our own methods - the important thing is the steaks turn out great ....that's what it's all about after all - there's more than one way to skin a a cat - not that i eat cat steaks...

Nothing worse than cheeky tongs. Hate it when that happens!

Comment

LOL Yeah .... I just had an idea -I think there should be a sticky topic or a thread for jokes or funny stories here just to brighten everybody's day - as long as it's family friendly and wholesome....just an idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Vojtek View Post
                  LOL Yeah .... I just had an idea -I think there should be a sticky topic or a thread for jokes or funny stories here just to brighten everybody's day - as long as it's family friendly and wholesome....just an idea...
                  Steve Vojtek How about here

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo
                  Meat-Up in Memphis