Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel saver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel saver

Yesterday I smoked my first rack of beef (short) ribs. After trimming excess fat (roughly 1 lb. off a 6.7 lb. rack of four ribs!), I gave the ribs a good coating of Meathead’s Memphis rub. I then tossed the ribs into my Camp Chef “Woodwind” at 250 f loaded with BBQrs Delight applewood pellets. At the 4 hr. mark, I pulled the ribs off the smoker, and wrapped them in a double layer of foil after lightly drizzling some of my homemade sauce over the meat. At this point, I was about to put the wrapped package back into the smoker for the remaining 4 hrs but paused as asked myself, “why do that?” I decided that with the meat hermetically sealed in foil, they’ve already gotten 4 hrs. of smoke, so all I’m doing with more cooking time is wasting pellet fuel. So I finished them in the oven at 270 f. They turned out beautifully with an internal temp of 210. Next week — Brisket!

BTUs are BTUs at that point!

Comment

Exactly what I do with my kettle or PBC on long cooks. Once out of the stall, nice bark, I'll pop it into a foil pan with some juice or broth, cover in foil and into the oven! The oven is much closer to the fridge, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Once wrapped in foil, heat is heat. Doesn't matter where it comes from.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis