Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memorial Day thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memorial Day thoughts

If you have never been, put a trip to Normandy on your bucket list. I spent several days there and I have not been the same since. Impossible to fathom what it was like. Driving down a side road I found a statue of a GI on the edge of a cornfield. I walked around it and saw this.
    Attached Files

Richard D. Winters was, imo, a most excellent example of a combat leader. I have served under both good an bad. In fact, at great risk to myself, an career, I managed to git one relieved of his command by a visitin Mustang Admiral, in 1988. It was to protect My Men, Lord only knows he was decidedly NOT capable of leadin us into combat. I didn't want nobody killed, on accounta dat. A terribly dangerous gamble, that paid off, fortunately.

In fact, Dick Winter's leadership, strategy, and intuitiveness in th takin of th guns at th Brécourt Manor Assault is still taught at the military academy at West Point as an example of a textbook assault on a fixed position by a numerically inferior force.

He was also my friend.

Ever wanna good read, try out this book, by another friend of mine, James E. McNiece, AKA "Jake"
    Among th most amazin men I done ever met in my life, an I've met a few...

He an his wife Martha always treated me like Royalty, an I miss him sorely. Truly, one of th Greatest Storytellers of All Time, an I can spin a yarn, or two, my danged ol self.) Y'all know I don't give that up, easy-like. Ya can find some vids of him on YooToob...

Sry, as much as I love ya, Brother, in this case, yer gonna haveta git a copy offa Amazon, or summat, on accounta 'cause I dang dang sure ain't comin offa my autographed, deeply personalized copy.
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 24, 2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

kind of related on the dark side....In the early 70’s I was a tour guide in Europe. We visited the Dachau concentration camp, that changed me forever. There is real evil on this earth and I am so thankful for the brave men who fight that evil. The ultimate sacrifice was made by some so we could be here today.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        BTW, them was some Fine Words, there, Noob. Much Respect, Sir!
        ~~~---<<<(((S)))>>>---~~~

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        smokenoob I visited Dachau when I was in West Germany in the old days. I’ve also been to the Holocaust Museum in DC, which has one of the train cars in the museum. I can tell you that I felt the same chilling, evil touch in Dachau and in that train car.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I went to Flossenburg when I was in Germany in 1994. Made my skin crawl. I have studied history, especially WWII, and still cannot fathom how evil man can be.

This is why.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B9159C84-6B9E-4B55-94C1-B15042DFA05F.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	851253

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Great pic

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Best one I ever took.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Oooraaahhh!!!!
        ~~~---<<<(((S)))>>>---~~~

When I was stationed in West Germany (back when there was such a place as West Germany), we did a battlefield tactical walk of Bastogne. Which is where all the leaders walk the battlefield and recreate the events in conversation with each other. Dick Winters was one of the key tactical commanders at Bastogne, as well. Later in my life, I did another walk at Gettysburg and walked Little Round Top. Two places where I can promise you that the ground is bloody and ghosts are there. In between those times, I had the “opportunity” to be an active participant on a couple of battlefields of my own not too far from the site of ancient Babylon.

Tomorrow I will raise a whiskey to my missing comrades, gone but not forgotten. Ever.

Took this picture at Gettysburg. Yes, many of the graves are like that. They couldn’t even identify the bodies, and just buried groups of men that fell together in the same grave.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	3F87490C-B855-4963-B698-FB7486E0858C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	7.26 MB ID:	851276
      Last edited by ecowper; May 24, 2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Soberin, indeed. Been there. Speechless, as ya said.
        Murricans.
        Both Sides.

• TJMagneto
        TJMagneto commented
        Editing a comment
        Went there twice. Once with my family and another time after an Antietam reenactment that I participated in with some fellows from the West Coast. We went to find places commemorating the Ist and 2nd US SharpShooters (Google'em). Anyway we ended up on LRT looking for the monument for the 1st USSSS Company C, which was down the hill on the left just a little bit. As we were leaving I was mistaken for a docent and was trapped for a few minutes before I got myself off the hook.

• TJMagneto
        TJMagneto commented
        Editing a comment
        One last thing. I own a bunch of books about the Ghosts of Gettysburg. Very creepy, makes me almost believe in ghosts.

Well, this is slightly early, but I'll post it anyway.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
      Between the crosses, row on row,
      That mark our place; and in the sky
      The larks, still bravely singing, fly
      Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
      We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
      Loved and were loved, and now we lie
      In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
      To you from failing hands we throw
      The torch; be yours to hold it high.
      If ye break faith with us who die
      We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
      In Flanders fields.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        It's pretty important to me that we remember. My family was pretty lucky in that everyone has come home (scars though there may be). Not everyone is able to say that. I'm grateful.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Much appreciated, Brother!
        Be safe an well, alla yall there...
        Oooraaahhh!!!

• DesertRaider
        DesertRaider commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that. No matter how often I read it, it still gets me.

The most uncomfortable thought I always have on Memorial Day, and Veterans Day as well, is that no matter now often the wreath gets placed at the tomb of the Unknowns, we keep making more vets and have to keep expanding space in Arlington. I feel we'll truly honor them when we come up with a better way.

To be clear, I was non-combat, but it doesn't change the fact that even in "peace time", we still lose some damn fine folks.

Comment

In our agency we have hiring preference for veterans, and man it really pi$$es me off when people question that practice. Late grandfather served in WWII at 18 yrs of age. Currently have a young lady working with us that served in Iraq.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Good on yer agency fer their practice, Brother!
          Yer Best Bet? Hire A Vet!

My wife's uncle Tony came ashore on D-Day on Utah beach, very first wave, in a Sherman DD tank, a tank that could actually drive through water. He was incinerated in his tank in a battle at Ozeville a few days later. We visited the site and left a message at the marker commemorating the liberators. These markers are all over France. Heartbreaking.
        Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Some people know that I was a tank crewman in the US Army and served in combat a couple times. I guess now lots know it .... anyhow, your uncle is definitely among my brothers. Not commonly known, but the US Army’s tank crews have the highest losses per capita of any combat speciality in the Army, even higher than infantry. Raising a glass and a cigar to your uncle this evening.

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Did not know that abt you. I am sure you know then, that Sherman's had less armor than German tanks which also had greater range and firepower. There were no remains in his tank to bury.

There are not enough words to express the debt we all owe. Maybe the best tribute though is not more words but an honest intent to live better lives in honor of those who have fallen. Just my thought today.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis