Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backwoods Chubby Call For Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backwoods Chubby Call For Duty

This is the first real cook for me off the Chubby except to do some small stuff Saturday to eat while the Chubby did the big job. Went ahead on Saturday and did a short smoke on hamburger patties and bratwurst at 225F to have enough grub to hold us while we would be waiting Sunday for the pork butts and chuck roast to make the long haul. Didn't like the prices I was seeing for brisket so went with chuck that were on hand.

Dry brined two pork butts and two chucks 24 hours and took those out Sunday morning for the rub which was a modified Meathead's Memphis Dust; substituted fresh ground cumin seed for the rosemary, ground up dehydrated ginger and since I roast my own coffee added 2 TBSP of Peruvian that to the mix. Also 2 TBSP fresh ground red chile powder.

The pork butts were about 1"+ thicker than the chuck roast, so placed them on the top level with the chucks below. Starting pit temp was about 80F at 6:30 a.m. with the new residents inside. Briquettes were the base with splits of 75% apple and 25% hickory added. I always have plenty of apple to work with from all the Colorado snow damage from late springs storms.

At first the chuck temperature stayed in the lead but gradually the pork caught up with the chuck hitting stall at 160F and pork at 170F. Pit temp was maintained 225-230F with the water pan active through most of the cook, I let it run dry about 90 minutes before the end.

Once both meats broke through their stall their temperatures began closing within 2-3 degrees of each other and then matched at 199F. At 6:45 p.m. both matched at 203F and removed from the Chubby. Thought that was an interesting coincidence for timing which was pure luck it seemed.

Happy for first results after fighting with using Lowes and HD floor smokers, this little guy does a great job.

Photos attached and have a great Memorial Day weekend!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CopperStill; May 25, 2015, 06:58 AM.

Bark-de-licious......

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for sharing those pics. I had dinner an hour ago but you make me hungry again .... Damn you

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      Rubs Promo
      Meat-Up in Memphis