Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I start crying, it's not from the onions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I start crying, it's not from the onions!

I've cleared off a spot on the farm to grow a personal garden since I don't eat hay and man can't live on apples alone. I ordered some onions from my usual source, Dixondale Farms in Carrizo Springs, TX, which is about 2100 miles from where I live. They shipped last week via USPS. Checked the tracking number on the promised delivery date and it's 'Out for Delivery' in Colville, where I used to live. Logged onto Dixondale's website, says it was shipped to my new address in Okanogan, which is 120 miles from Colville. Phoned them, found out that not only for some unbeknownst reason it shipped to the billing address, but to the wrong PO box number! No worries, they'll ship me a new order. Got the new tracking number, they are coming on Saturday. Just tracked it on the USPS website, the onions left Carrizo Springs on Tuesday and traveled 1900 miles to show up tonight at a distribution centre in Brooklyn, NY, which is about 2700 miles from Okanogan. Those onions best run up to Buffalo and get some wings if they are going to be here by Saturday!

Thats a load of Crop. You might want to keep the phone nearby just in case the Onion Rings.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm told the onion always rings twice! However, I may never see the postman....
      Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; May 22, 2020, 08:37 AM.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      That is hilarious!!!

I had a package on the FedEx truck with another package a few weeks ago. One package was delivered, the other stayed on the truck and went to my ex-wife's house, and I don't even know her address. Figure that crap out!

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope it was onions!

• ComfortablyNumb
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob Jerod probably hopes it was anthrax....

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope it wasn't your ammo order. Might not like how she returns it.

Comment

Sounds like the doings of the Chez onion ring, whatever ya do, don’t let them see ya cry!

Comment

ComfortablyNumb No Walla Walla sweets?

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll be damned, I didn't realize you had order them from Texas. It's a good thing they aren't chicks being shipped.

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        Craigar Dixondale is hands down the best. Even Johnny's Seeds uses them. Customer service is excellent, this isn't the first hiccup I've had. One time I got a case that was short, they promptly sent a replacement. As for chicks, USPS has never been late with them. But then, they aren't as quiet as onions, and the squeaky wheel gets the grease! They phone as soon as they arrive demanding I come get them, even as early as six in the morning!

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        True story. I once ordered a hundred chicks, this was when I lived in the Bay Area. I was called and asked to come get them. I was given every box of chicks. Got home and did a beak count. I had three hundred. Looking at the address labels some were to go to some feed store. Took them back to the post office. First look was like 'what the hell?' then when I showed them the address labels, complete shock and then I couldn't be thanked enough. Someone dodged a bullet.

Looks like I'm in a similar situation. I placed an order for some pepper plants form Gurney"s in Ohio. The order shipped on Tuesday 5/19 form Fedex. Friday afternoon it was in Indianapolis with no estimated delivery date. What's going on here?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        The quiet secret is all the major shippers, due to COVID and the insanely increase in volume, have suspended their guarantee delivery times. I just tracked my onions, website says they left Brooklyn and they are in transit due to arrive on time. If they aren't in Wenatchee right now,, they aren't getting to Okanogan tomorrow.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Haaaa. I just checked my order and it’s supposedly on the local Fedex truck out for delivery for Tuesday. 🤷🏼

I sent a classic car part to Great Britain several years ago. According to tracking, it went from here to Houston as is normal but then it went on a one week 3000 mile round trip to Illinois and back to Houston before finally going to Great Britain.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        It must have figured it was its last chance to see the USA!

Hate when that happens!

I ordered some stuff off the big A some time ago...two day delivery with prime & all that.
      Tracked it all the way from Nevada to Honolulu and then back to SoCal. Derp
      I told them that I haven’t been to Hawaii for a couple years so I could go pick it up there if that helped. LOL

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        Editing a comment
        A few years ago the local sort guy here used the Colorado stickers for the small sort bags (small packages go into reusable bags to protect them on their journey.) Every small package went to Colorado for a few days until he realised what he was doing.

USPS has finally acknowledged the onions are 'in transit arriving late' although the expected delivery date has not been updated. But since Monday is a holiday, they won't be arriving until Tuesday at the earliest, giving them one week and a trip across the States. I am assured 'is still on it's way', just not when. By the time they get here, they mignt be ready for harvesting, not planting!

Comment

Canada Post delivered your onions here this morning....told em wrong address....try Washington State....
        Purolator is still 10-14 days behind delivering packages and that's with the couriers working 7 days a week.
        On thurs I left 21 skids behind at one customer and 8 at another all online orders.

Comment

Whatever happened to the garlic crop?

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Whatever happened...............
            to the garlic crop?

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            Garlic was grown at the other farm, which is now fallow. Before I can start up garlic, or any other vegetable crop for that matter, I'm going to have to harvest a lot of rocks. Recent acquisition was a rock bucket just for that purpose, but also made for easy removing of sod for the personal garden. As for garlic, won't be too difficult to start again, Fillaree is a neighbour. https://www.filareefarm.com/ Don't need shipping, I can pick them up.
            Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; May 23, 2020, 11:36 AM.

‘Til Paddy got excited and he shouted to them there:
          Its a long way to Tipperary, it’s a long way to go,
          The woes of shippin anything anywhere can be a mysterious journey. But thank goodness fer computers, tablets & smart phones, so’s we can get tracking #s and follow where our stuff is headed, way layed or misdirected. It is a joy of life to the modern human. One more invaluable occupation to take up our extra time & give us one more mental function of great importance to do in this modern day. Busy, busy, busy, ahhhhh yes.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            My onions are probably in Tipperary by now!

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL ComfortablyNumb , I wonder what Tipperary onions taste like?

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            Onions are prolly in Tucumcari.....but the train doesn't stop on Tucumcari

Well after arriving in Brooklyn on the night of the 21st, the onions arrived at the Metro NY Distribution Center on the morning of the 25th. So about 3.5 days to go about 20 miles. With a mere 2700 more to go they should arrive in 472 days, just in time for planting spring of 2021!

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Frustrating as heck. I have an Amazon overnight ship out of LA left on the22th and has been sitting at UPS 10 miles from me since. They said it was out for delivery the 23rd, but I guess not. Now they say today....we'll see.

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            ofelles If it shipped on the 22nd, because of the holiday, today should be its first delivery attempt. The only way it would have been attempted Saturday is if they had paid for Saturday delivery. Although I've heard talk of UPS going to Saturday deliveries, however that hasn't happened out in the sticks where I live. Maybe in the big city of Brentwood!

Could be worse. I had a check, first income since January, supposedly sent to me via FedEx last Wednesday. As of today, the tracking number is "not found" on the FedEx site. The same person put three envelopes in a FedEx drop box at the same time. Only 1 was delivered.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            That's worrisome. When I pick up letter boxes I scan the item immediately, some drivers just pick up and take to the center, where it won't get scanned until its loaded. Until it is scanned, it shows as not in the system. The fact one out of three made it means the other two were lost, stolen, or are somewhere on the truck that picked them up. Might want to have a stop put on the cheque and a reissue, and maybe use UPS. ;-)

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis