Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow, maybe I should start planing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CurlingDog
    replied
    well done, mhalbrook... well done. You overcame adversity and adapted to changing conditions like a champ!

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Sounds like you had your hands full. Sorry about the car. Nice job on the cook.

Leave a comment:

• mhalbrook
    commented on 's reply
    Oh and the guy refurbing the mystery grill ended up not working for the place he was anymore before he was able to finish it up, so didn't have it. 3rd Grill would have been nice, but still pulled it all off by 6:45

• mhalbrook
    replied
    Got off to a rocky start on the plans. I had plan to start yesterday, was thinking about the 2 day pork butt method, but plans got derailed. First the only socket driver I couldn't find was the one I needed to take the grill apart, so I had to go get a new one. On the way back home, my car totally died, it's dead, ready for the junkyard in the sky now . THat meant I couldn't get the grill up there as planned. Thankfully, I was only .5 miles from home, and my wife happened to be headed home from work early, and reached the point where we got the car pushed at about the time we finished. BY this point, it was 11 am, and fast approaching 90, I had no desire to break down the grill and put it together in those temps, after pushing the car. So I went to the church and did sauce work and meatloaf prep, so it'd be ready. Someone helped get the grill up in a truck, so I didn't have to take it apart and put it together.

Given all that, I was half worried the grill would end up stolen, but thankfully no. Got to the church about 8 and got my grill going, and had the 5 pieces of pork cushion going by 8:45. Then drug out the old Kingsford grill I donated when I got the chargriller (same design, even cheaper construction tho) and realized it was quite nasty in side, so off to Safeway and a bag of Match Lite, cuz I didn't wanna waste the Blue bag on a clean out burn, and knew it'd get a nice fast, hot burn. Man I don't know how people can use that stuff, 2 hrs later it STILL reeked of the chemicals. Got it cleaned up well, and then 3 loaf pan chickens on it. Moved things back and forth between the two grills from time to time, to do ash dumps and reload the coal.

When all was said and done, somewhere between 16 and 20 lbs of pulled pork, maybe 8 lbs of shredded chicken, 60 burgers, 80 hot dogs, 2 bacon wrapped meatloafs roughly 2# each I think, 6# of Borewors (South African Sausage, I'll post the recipe soon) and another person brought their fryer up and did hot wings/naked wings. No clue how many people, because the teens got their food and went down stairs. But plenty of food, and leftovers we were able to give to a few families in the church that are dealing with health issues and not able to cook much.

Was so funny that the pastors wife seemed to always see me when I was reloading coal, or checking the chickens and felt sorry I was in the sun so much. I was in it enough to have a nice red neck, but over all, the 3 guys who did the dogs and burgers were actively over the grills more than I was. But I was up and down the stairs all day.

Leave a comment:

• mhalbrook
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, at least I Know it should be fine for doing the burgers/dogs/veggies.

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    "Mystery Grill" that's funny. Better than a "Mystery Smoker."

Leave a comment:

• mhalbrook
    started a topic Wow, maybe I should start planing...

Wow, maybe I should start planing...

Got the big church BBQ I mentioned in my introduction post coming on June 9th. 16 days. Always have trouble planning these, because the crowd is never what I expect. Current Menu:
    *Pulled Pork
    *Boerewors (African sausage. It's nice working in a grocery store that will custom make sausage for me)
    *Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
    *Hot Dogs (Mainly for the kids, so cheap Bar S stuff)
    *Hamburgers
    *Chicken

In the past I've done leg quarters, then last year drumsticks. I'm contemplating pulled/shredded chicken this time, because it's always been the Achilles heal. No matter what, it never seems to get done well. Would help if our ovens worked well, but they're sad, pathetic home style ovens.

Equipment:
    Chargriller 2828 Barrel Grill: Mine. I'll use it for the meatloaf and pork butt. I want to seal it better, but it's doing well enough that I haven't bothered yet.

Kingsford Barrel Grill. Looks like the Chargriller, but lighter weight. I bought it last year at Wally World, then the Chargriller went on sale for the same price. My wife let me get it, so I donated this one to the Church. Unfortunately someone tried to steal it last year, and it got banged up and lost a wheel. I figure it should be fine to do a light smoke on the chicken, then I can finish it in the oven if need be. And then I can use it for other grilled stuff, like asparagus or corn.

Mystery Grill: One of the guys at church found a grill that was rusted, and he's been restoring it. May or may not be available, but it's planned to be. This one, since I don't know it, will be the burger/dog grill. May prove to be good, but don't know, but any grill can handle burgers and dogs.

Got a couple guys with pellet grills, may prep up some ribs and have one of them do those.

Always exhausted after this event, but thankfully I'm taking the 8th & 9th off, and I usually have Wed-Fri off anyway.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis