Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat and oil prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJMagneto
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	8c9bdb09d3a565705c6e00ef5e9b5c8a.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	853995

Leave a comment:

• BFlynn
    replied
    The supply chain is a total mess.

Saw this at the HEB today.

But what is strange is they had individual flats and points.
    Not many, but some. And no chuck roasts.

Every grocery trip is an adventure

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bogy
    replied
    I'm sitting in a state with more hogs than people. I know farmers with thousands of hogs. I'm going to estimate one of the guys in one of my churches has upward of 20,000 hogs. Probably a low estimate. I also have a trucker in one of my churches whose primary business is hauling dead hog to be rendered. Nonstop right now.

I'm also surrounded by COVID hot spots, basically wherever there is one of the big processors.

I feel for all of these, (well, maybe not so much the owners of the big plants, primarily based in China, who put the people working the lines in danger, even without the virus).

It is going to take some time for things to come back. Beef can be held longer, but pork and poultry is supposed to be a specific size when they process them. If the production of hogs and birds is stopped, it will take a while for them to restart. The president and my governor has ordered the processing plants to stay open, but they are at reduced capacity.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like $5.99lbs to me. Ugh!

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    I remember a few years ago it was 2.79

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Went to the Kroger last night. A fairly small choice chuck roast, $19.00!

Leave a comment:

• TJMagneto
    replied
    Hopefully I am breaking even by diverting my gas money to meat.
    The sad part is that here I am about to pull the trigger on a new rig and the price of meat goes up.

Leave a comment:

• Bogy
    replied
    I got sticker shock when I bought meat from supermarkets before COVID. Paid $3.25 a lb for a side of beef last fall, and $225 for a half hog bundle at the beginning of the year. Otherwise, I only buy meat when I need multiple briskets or butts, and/or I see a really good deal. Like last week when I bought 4 butts at 99 cents a lb. One of the restaurants in my area, which is just doing drivein sales at this point, had on their Facebook page a picture of a tube of ground beef that had a price tag of 80 bucks as the reason why their prices were going to have to go up. Others pointed out that the picture was from a store that was close to 2 hours away from us, and the supermarket in town had 10 lb tubes of ground beef for under 3 bucks a lb.

For me, since I normally use locally sourced meat, and local butchers/processors, the only problem is that all of them in my area are booked through November. Actually, the place I got the half hog from, along with others, has been processing meat, basically just grinding it, quickest and easiest for people to use, and donating it to food pantries. Mostly hogs that would otherwise be euthanized and rendered.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    Supply chains are problematic and I think they need diversification. That can only help the ranchers and farmers. The current supply chair was surprisingly fragile.

Leave a comment:

• BFlynn
    replied
    Just made grocery for the week.
    Baby back ribs $2/lb. "st Louis spare ribs" $3/lb
    Pork loin $2.50/lb

No brisket at all. Only beef was ground. .
    No roast beef in the deli.

I'm sure next week will be the opposite.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Oh yea....well my dad can beat up your dad....so there

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    replied
    Not long ago WTI oil was $125. And gas here was close to 6 bucks a gallon.

I think June and July contracts are somewhere in the $30. Range and I paid $3.10 a gallon the 2 days ago. “This weather is expensive” someone recently said.

Edit WTI for July $33.95 as of a minute ago.
    Last edited by HouseHomey; May 21, 2020, 06:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BFlynn
    replied
    Meat prices here have been weird.
    One week - brisket packers were $2.99/lb.
    Next week $5.99/lb but the Nolan Ryan chuck roasts {from the finest cows Aggie science ever made} were $2.99/lb and prime rib eye was $9.99/lb.

Local Kroger seems to mainly be getting supplied by local packing plants.

Either way - I hope meat prices go down, and oil prices come up.
    Although generally I don't think prices ever go down once they go up.

Remember when baggage handling fees were introduced as "temporary"? You knew they'd never go away once they stuck.

Leave a comment:

• TJMagneto
    replied
    Good grief. I don't belong to Costco but their brisket is $6.09 per pound. Sounds a little steep.
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    My gut tells me likewise. Here's hopin we're both wrong, Brother!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis